Author Topic: Silver vs. Violet  (Read 34988 times)

shrinkmore

Silver vs. Violet
« on: February 26, 2007, 02:13:29 PM »
Carl,

Obviously you love :oops: the Silver, but have you tried a Violet?  If so, how would you describe the difference?  John, any comment on this?  Anyone else?  (by the way, I will not be hard wiring :twisted:)

Thanks

shrinkmore

Also, what about special connectors...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 02:18:30 PM »
John,

Could anyone fill us in on difference that special connectors make, e.g., different Oyaide's, etc...

Thanks again,

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Black Sand Cables
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 09:26:03 PM »
I have tried the Violets, Chromiums and Silver Ref's in my system.  I liked all of them but they do different things.  (to my surprise)  The violet's seemed the most forward and detailed, the Chromium's a bit more 'smooth' or laid back, and the Silver Ref's had the smoothness of the Chromium but with more impact and resolution... kind of a mix of the best of the Violet and the Chromium with no compromises.

I tried some of the cables in different places and systems and the worst that happened was that the Chromium's could be a little too clean-sounding in some applications... and the Violet's could get a little too aggressive in the wrong place... but the Silver Ref never seems to do anything wrong...

I have a Chromium on my power conditioner now, with Silver Ref's to the amp and preamp... and a Chromium to my audio PC.  The violet on the audio PC was also very good, if not better.... but in the end I decided to keep the Chromium on it... I'll probably get a silver reference to replace every cable in my system eventually.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Double Ugly

Black Sand Cables
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 10:09:09 PM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
I'll probably get a silver reference to replace every cable in my system eventually.
I doubt you'll regret it.

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
Black Sand Cables
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 03:54:11 PM »
I have four Silver MK V's on the way from John to go with the two Violets I bought from Carl.  Lot's of opportunities to move them around and see what happens.  Should be fun but it may make me crazy.  Tom
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Double Ugly

Black Sand Cables
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
Congrats on the new cables, Tom!

Be sure to give 'em some time in the system, though.  John puts a little time on them, but it took mine nearly 2 weeks before everything settled down.  

Don't get me wrong; they won't sound bad in the beginning, it's just that they won't sound nearly as good as they eventually will.  :wink:

Take care,

-Jim

Black Sand Cable

Re: Also, what about special connectors...
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 12:27:22 PM »
Quote from: "shrinkmore"
John,

Could anyone fill us in on difference that special connectors make, e.g., different Oyaide's, etc...

Thanks again,

I would love to.....but I can't. Anybody who has ever dealt with me knows that I can't (and normally won't) tell you how one specific cord will work in any given system as every system is unique. That is very important to remember. Just because it works like the cats meow in one system, doesn't necessarily mean that it will work in yours. I have had a few people this year swap out Silver References for Violet's and vice versa. Is there anything wrong with one or the other or is it just a case of people preferring different things? IMO I think it just comes down to the system and the personal tastes of the actual owner.

Same goes with terminations....they all bring something to the table (sometimes good, sometimes bad) and there are far too many of them out there for me to even try and break the down the differences. What I will say is that I designed my cords to be used with the terminations you see on the web-site. Outfitting anyone of my cords with anything other then what you see on the web-site, is in all honesty altering the cord from it's original design. I had a method to the madness when the cords were designed and to date I have stuck with it. The Silver Reference for example has been terminated with Wattgate's best iAG Silver series for as long as I can remember and I have no plans on swapping it out to anything else. I'm not saying that other terminations are bad, some are actually very good. I like a few from Acrolink, Oyaide and FIM and from time to time I use them but they are not my standard. In the next few months I will be trying out a new line of terminations from a company that has yet to reach this part of the world that is doing some very interesting things. When I get going with it, I will do up a few cords and pass them around here for all to try. What I think of them means nothing, it comes down to what you guys think.

Off topic but awhile back I got caught up in a thread on AC raving about a particular line of amplifiers that were according to most the end all. Well I tried them and didn't get it.....at all. They didn't work for me and I dumped them. Does that make them bad? not really but honestly I think they are a little over hyped but the point is that they are working for a lot of people, they just didn't work out for me.

Dam.........I'm rambling

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Black Sand Cables
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 06:12:44 AM »
Quick update and response the original topic... I tried John's latest cable, the 'Statement One' on my amp and decided to buy it.  I would've bought more if I had more money.... So, now I'd say... "Eventually I'll replace all my Silver Ref's with Statement One's."

They made a change I didn't know I could get... They have better drive and/or PRAT than the other BSC cables.  I'm quite pleased with the improvement the SO made to the musical presentation.  I sent my cable to a couple of folks and hopefully they'll respond with more results/reviews...

Here's a photo:

-Carl

Double Ugly

Black Sand Cables
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 07:39:19 AM »
I doubted John could make a cable much better than the Silver Reference Mk. V at any price, and I told him so.  Nevertheless, he asked me to take a single Statement One for a spin in my system and let him know what I think.  

I wish I hadn't.  :(

I replaced the Silver Ref Mk. V connected to my modified Transporter and listened on and off for several days.  To be honest, I didn't notice a lot of difference, but the addition of a Burson Buffer to my system may have helped mask the differences.  The Buffer is on loan from Wayne @ Bolder Cable and is the real deal IMHO, especially for those with Slim Devices products.

Anyway, I sat with Kandy last night and did a little A/B comparison using music with which we are both *very* familiar.  What we heard was sweeter highs (sparkley?  is that even a word?), more separation of instruments and increased awareness of things going on that were apparently masked before.  My casual listening sessions left me convinced there was little to no improvement over my Silver Refs, so hearing how much cleaner and clearer the mids are with the Statement One was as a shock.  Toward the end of the second part of the A/B (Silver Ref back in the system), Kandy turned to me and said, "The other cable is a *LOT* better."

Well that sucks.  :(  

Bottom line - the house deal fell through as expected, so I will be talking to John in the near future about what it'll take to replace every Silver Ref I have with Statement Ones.  The Silver Ref is an amazing cable, besting every cable I've put against it till now.  But the Statement One is clearly better, and since I know from experience that the effect of cables is cumulative, I'll end up replacing every PC I own with Statement Ones.

I say again, that sucks.  :(

Congrats, John.  You did well, my friend, even better than I think you'd anticipated.

-Jim

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Black Sand Cables
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 09:02:45 AM »
Jim,
I had the same reaction... sort of a bitter-sweet thing... I *had* the best and could relax... ahhh... all that silvery reference goodness... and then blammo, John makes a 'Statement'... ;)  and I had to listen...  
I think this is what 'Nervosa' is all about...  :lol:  (at least for me)

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
Black Sand Cables
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 09:35:58 AM »
Oh, jeez.  Now that I've finally accumulated 6 BS V's, replaced and sold the rag tag bunch of PC's I had before, and finally said "ahhh" to the V's there's another one?  Nervosa indeed.  I think I'll just enjoy some music.

Uh, has the price of these been set yet?  Oh, no, I don't even wanna know....
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

lonewolfny42

Black Sand Cables
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 02:32:28 PM »
Uh, has the price of these been set yet? Oh, no, I don't even wanna know....
You can check the price here...... :wink:

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
Black Sand Cables
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 04:25:06 PM »
Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
Uh, has the price of these been set yet? Oh, no, I don't even wanna know....
You can check the price here...... :wink:
Out of my price range, but it's nice for those who can afford it. Maybe those changing over to the Statement PC will be putting their respective Silver Ref MK V's up for sale...
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

WEEZ

Black Sand Cables
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 04:36:58 PM »
:shock:

Black Sand Cable

Black Sand Cables
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 08:06:36 PM »
Quote from: "WEEZ"
:shock:

Yeah I know it's not cheap but keep in mind before everybody crucifies me that the F1/M1 combo is $550.00 and the Acrolink Carbons are $800.00!

At the end of the day, not cheap but I put to use the best of the best in this cord.