Author Topic: Thomas Dolby - The Sole Inhabitant  (Read 4798 times)

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
Thomas Dolby - The Sole Inhabitant
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:43:10 AM »
Mr. Dolby went on tour last year, even had a stop here in NH. From his Chicago concert was produced the live "The Sole Inhabitant" album (a DVD was made as well). The album sounds very well produced, with Mr. Dolby in fine form presenting a mature voice and excellent command over his electronics. "Leipzig" and other classics are given different treatments that work for me. Pretty infectious listening.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

miklorsmith

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 08:20:51 AM »
Into what general classification would you put Dolby's stuff?  I only know his pop songs from the '80s and I doubt they're indicative.

Thanks!

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 08:56:43 AM »
Quote from: "miklorsmith"
Into what general classification would you put Dolby's stuff?  I only know his pop songs from the '80s and I doubt they're indicative.

Thanks!
I think you're posing an excellent question regarding Thomas Dolby's genre. "Blinded by Science" is a song that can certainly can fit in pop, and for better or worse a number of persons use that song by which to identify Mr. Dolby. I think his one-man command of synth electronica (keyboards and synthesizers) should be noted and calls for some to definitely label and place him there. Dolby shows strengths with musical use of technology (he also formed a company that is significant re: cellphone ring tone technology; I think Dolby self-reports in an interview that about 2/3 of cell phones use that technology).

I look forward to seeing how he'll interact with the 21st century - I think he's looking to put out a new album in late 2007. I note that album I discussed in the OP contains songs that were all previously released over Mr. Dolby's career, but were performed live during his 2006 tour.

Dolby's blog and forum can provide additional information.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis