Author Topic: June 23 - richidoo's  (Read 48234 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: June 23 - richidoo's
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2012, 10:12:19 AM »
More pics

Offline richidoo

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2012, 10:54:55 AM »
Pic descriptions
3620 - DTQWT-12, NCore, Buffalo2, Concept TT
3622 - NCores close up
3623 - Cherry, VPI 16, Samet i60 mk1 hiding under hand drilled BAD panel
3624 - "Green room" staging area, aka speaker warehouse, and music room.
3625 - Name that butt
3626 - This is your Gene. This is Bill Evans. This is your Gene on Bill Evans at Village Vanguard, comparing NCore and Cherry.
3628 - Mystery man, Orange Crush (you know who that is ;) ) and Giyan talking NCore technology.
3629 - jtwrace's NCore handiwork... Nicely done Jason! :thumb:
3630 - Ewaves, Shane's newly quiet and cool 6C33s, fed by BuffaloII, with Selah Audio's Gamechangers in the background waiting patiently to spank all other speakers in the house, again.
3631 - Closeup of Samet 6C33 tube amps. 70W class AB, fully regulated B+, Lundahl amorphous core OPT, fast continuous analog autobias. Do you recognize the boxes from richidoo's workshop? Raw unfinished plywood, that's my trademark! Beautiful sounding amps.
3632 - DTQWT playing M2, with Samet i30 and i15 waiting their turns in background.
3633 - closeup M2
After that we switched to all tubes and vinyl with Steve's Ref1 preamp, 6C33s, DtQWT. But no more pics...  :( This system was too soft for me, but mellow and groovey, playing some jazz then Neil Young, Brandi Carlile.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:57:49 AM by richidoo »

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »
"Rick's Game changer curved arrays were impressive sounding with the 6C33 tube amps on the tweeters and Cherry on the woofers. That was probably the peak quality sound of the day and stayed on the longest."

Yes, yes, 1000 times YES! That was my favorite sound of the day.

Rich - A true pleasure making your acquaintance, thanks for having Pman and I to your event. Your wife and children were also a delight, I hope we weren't too loud at end of the night. Did you get your son to airport this morning?

The rest of the folks there were a pleasure to meet and speak with, I picked up a few nuggets of useful info. I would have learned more if only could have tracked with what Sol was saying to me, he's a real gem. I want his tubed amps!

And yes I got what I wanted, the Ncores are fine, but I don't see/hear them as a 'game-changer' in amplification to the point that I'd sell off what I already have. But if I was just getting into 2-channel and wanted powerful monoblocks, I could go that way.

Don't worry about getting the music out, maybe you'll make CAF and bring it with you.

14 hours in a small Jag with Pman in 36 hours, I need a drink now.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2012, 04:06:06 PM »
I was under strict orders to stay less than 2 hours...  got to hear a couple combos...  I'm sorry I missed the combo at the end with Rick's curved array and the tubes...  that would have been nice because it was not sounding good earlier...  the ncore and deqx without remeasuring and reconfiguring was nails on a chalkboard to me, sol and Steve... the usual guys that cringe at that same 4k-8K stuff that others don't seem bothered by...  they had great coverage... I'm glad they went to another level after some good setup and with some tubes in the mix :)

For the comparison, I sat off to the side so can only speak about tonality and detail, not soundstaging.  Ncore was lean.  Clean but lean to my ears.  Cherry amp was much fatter sounding... a lot more heft and weight to the bass and up into the midrange.  I liked the tubes best... bass was bloated and not anywhere near as deep... but the tone was much more for me.  I'm a tube guy... I can't get away from it... I prefer to make the speakers detailed and then use the tubes as tone controls to tailor the sound to taste...

Great to see everyone if only for a few minutes :) :(  I wish I could have stayed longer.... hopefully next time :)
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

eleazar

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
A .... ...for Bill and Gene ....I thought they'd "flake out" at the last minute... :rofl:

What are your thoughts of the comparison of the NCore's to the DAC amp ? Thanks... :thumb:

Chris oh you of little faith   :lol:

My sentiments are with Gene. I had a great time and I'm glad I didn't ''flake out''. But unlike Gene who can be fixed with a drink. I'll clearly need psychotherapy after a weekend with Mr. Gene :shock:

To Rich and all the guys thanks for making me welcome and if asked again I promise not to bring Gene :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »
Glad to hear all the travelers made it home safely.

Yes Gene, my middle kid flew off to camp this morning. Me to bed at 2, woke at 6, yum Sunday mornings not supposed to be like that! But at least I didn't have to drive 8 hours. In a week he will arrive home with zombie eyes stoned on sugar and sleeping 2 hours a night, feeling entitled to continue living like that forever. Free bennie from my wife's company, for the employees whose kids are making the grades. After you left Sol was cranking his amp up to "see if they would clip" at 12:30 so no, you weren't too loud, but we could hear you snoring over Sol's testing..   :rofl:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:53:20 AM by Carlman »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »
Thanks for the comments and photos... :beer:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2012, 06:50:33 AM »
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and photos.  I REALLY wish I could've been there.  Hopefully I'll get to host some spin-off experiments from what sounds like a month's worth of comparing that was compressed into 1 day. ;)

I'm glad to hear Sol's new i30 is sounding nice.  I heard a very short taste at his house and thought it had a nice 'wholeness' to it. (hard to describe) but it was musical and detailed, which is a feat in itself.  I'm glad you're getting to help each other voice a system to each other's tastes.  It's a rare treat to have checks and balances in a creative process.

The Ncore and Cherry sound like fantastic options... and trying it in your system sounds imperative.  I think that's part of the deal with a 'value' system.  If you want your system to sound like a 6-digit system for close to 4-digits... You have to make sure it all "synergizes"... Seems to me the higher the price, the more they've considered compatibility so it becomes less of an issue.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2012, 01:57:56 PM »

I just found a CD in my CDP, left there during the G2G in June. It is EWF, All 'n All. Let me know if you are missing it. Thanks!
Rich

I realized we haven't had a Carolina G2G since June!  :shock:  Time flies!

AcidJazz

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2012, 05:09:04 PM »
I realized we haven't had a Carolina G2G since June!

Even more alarming is that you haven't played a cd since June??  :shock:
Unless of course you have a halodeck and experience everything 'live'.  :lol:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2012, 05:17:02 PM »
I use the NAS/Sonos most of time, but less than half of my CDs are on there...   :?

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »
Only half????????

Son, you're just digging that hole deeper.

I use the NAS/Sonos most of time, but less than half of my CDs are on there...   :?
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."