Author Topic: Hey Rich...About Your Altmann....  (Read 16073 times)

lonewolfny42

Hey Rich...About Your Altmann....
« on: September 10, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Rich....
Soon the altmann DAC will be here and I can eliminate the SB as a potential source of the high end glare.
I'm just wondering how you will power your Altmann DAC ?(Battery or AC) Thanks........ :D

................Chris

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Hey Rich...About Your Altmann....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »
LW, I'm getting an Optima batt (not sure which one yet, yellow, red or blue) and a Deltran Battery Tender Plus charger. I'll rig up some kind of DPST "Gordy" switch to switch back and forth as an on/off switch. The charger is smart so it won't overcharge if left on forever.

Are you still thinking about getting the Altmann?
Rich

lonewolfny42

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 01:20:44 PM »
Rich....

Yes....down the road. Got some preamp/speaker/amp upgrades to do first.
The reason why I asked is because of what I have read on AC about a power supply that works with the Altmann...the guy from England...Paul H??? (forgot his last name). Wondered how it compares to the battery.
We have a Raver in the group thats using the Altmann...Tito....he's using the Red Top battery....did sound very good when I last heard his system. Its a good DAC.....
I'll be watching for Mike Smith's comments on DAC's....he's had a few to play with... 8)

Thanks Rich..........

..................Chris

miklorsmith

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 01:36:18 PM »
Awesome!  Somebody liked the Altmann enough to buy one!!  That's cooler than even I hoped.  I really am interested in the notes on different SLAs too - Charles said different batteries would sound different but the Red Top was the only one he used in design.  I'd love to do that, but they are expensive.  Well, expensive for batteries anyway, pittance for hi-fi.   :D

I also would like to hear an Optima vs. Paul Hynes vs. little SLA shootout.

I will have some comments forthcoming on the Paradisea vs. Empirical modded Electrocompaniet vs. Altmann vs. Lessloss DACs.  Wolfy was cool enough to send the first two over for comparison, I spent a fair amount of time with all four and have thoughts (shocker).  However I'm trying to wrap up the Lessloss review for 6moons and it's like the bottomless glass - you keep pouring and it keeps not getting full.

However, I MUST wrap it up and promise a decent thumbnail of all four as they sounded in my rig.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 05:04:51 PM »
richadoo,
                 The Redtop is the way to go. Trust that Altman himself choose the right one.

Great product ugly as hell though. Good luck.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 05:15:46 PM »
I knew the first time I heard yours Mike, that I would get it eventually. Stereofool has a great acoustic jazz record with vibes and guitar played that played on the ALtman the vibe tones were so liquid perfect, like perfectly real. No grain at all. My SB has some grain.

I emailed with Paul about his regulators when I was thinking of building Aikido preamp. I bought the Aikido PCB boards so I will eventually build it, with Hynes regulators, that is if I ever finish painting inside the house and planting flower beds. Paul is incredibly supportive, optimistic, helpful, and of course knowledgeable. He offered me advice on every aspect of building and designing the power supply and answered more questions after that, and offered ongoing support as I use the regulators in other applications in the future. The noise on his PSs is vanishingly low, like 110dB below PS's filtered ripple, which is probably better than a battery if it even matters.... For low voltage stuff he's got some smaller units that might work well with the (200ma?) Altmann.
http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/

Mike, what is Little SLA?

Another great low current PS is the Dact CT102 Power supply. They show on their website here how much quieter it is than a SLA battery, and faster current delivery too, but battery culd be old junker compared to optima which is a unique and superior design to traditional plates. The Dact costs $350 (diycable.com) while  optima is about ~$160. Since optima has higher peak current rating than regular batts, maybe that means it is a little faster current speed. Only a scope knows for sure.  I look at the cost of the battery compared to buying another new PC from John.  :lol:

Mike your wrapup will be fun to read. Especially looking fwd to hearing your take on the Lessloss,, and learning about the shocker :)

Thanks rollo. I can hide the Altmann in the rear of a cabinet shelf, no switches other than power and I can switch that somewhere along the battery cable. But I think it looks kinda cool anyway.
Rich

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 05:28:33 PM »
Richadoo,
                 I hope it swallows.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 05:42:24 PM »
 :-s

Sorry... I'm not good at humor, but I know it when I see it. This is gonna be funny if I ever figure it out. hehe

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 06:06:04 PM »
Rich...

Did you order the full tilt Altmann ? Thanks....

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 07:34:35 PM »
Nope, I ordered a stripper, the Yugo Attraction DAC.  ;)  I rationed that I would never use the hi rez except on recording stuff for which I have already have a pro-wannabe unit and will dither to 16 bits anyway, so reference 24 bit playback just isn't worth it to me until new records start coming out, if ever. I could not hear the difference with JISCO in or out, even with SB as digital transport. Altmann's standard UPCI(?)  chip cleans up the jitter pretty well by itself, so I didn't think the JISCO was worth the extra dough. Maybe so if using a Walmart DVD player and RadShack interconnect. Altmann said he can add any options later as an upgrade.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 08:09:27 PM »
Thanks Rich....

Altmann said he can add any options later as an upgrade.

Ah....thats good to know...thanks. 8)

...............Chris

miklorsmith

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 09:32:59 AM »
Small SLA - like the one I sent around.  I would've spent more than $160 on shipping the Red Top!

The "shocker" was that I had opinions, not that those views were shocking.  Sorry for the tease.  :D

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 10:21:48 AM »
Thanks Mike.

I read about the DACT PS again last night, it gives 200ma output, which matches Altmann spec. I would rather have some reserve there, but DACT spec could be conservative/continuous, etc.

tanchiro58

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »
Hi Altmann DAC lovers,

I have own Attraction DAC and BYOB amp and had a chance to compare between two sources PS as RWA SLA battery charger and Optima Yellow Top for the Altmann gears. I would say Optima battery is the way to go with Altmann DAC and BYOB amp.  :-({|=

Regards,
Tan

tanchiro58

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »
LW, I'm getting an Optima batt (not sure which one yet, yellow, red or blue) and a Deltran Battery Tender Plus charger. I'll rig up some kind of DPST "Gordy" switch to switch back and forth as an on/off switch. The charger is smart so it won't overcharge if left on forever.

Rich

Rich,

Have you done the switch on/off charger for Optima battery yet? Do you have any infos for getting components to build it? Thanks in advance.

Tan