Author Topic: St. Louis G2G  (Read 15281 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
St. Louis G2G
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 06:58:12 AM »
There is a warmth to the driver for sure - but not something obnoxious by any stretch.  The Sapphires are ported completely differently than the SSR's.  BTW, the SSR's can also be ordered as sealed for use with a sub if desired.

There is a nice organic sound to the SSR's with the right components in the chain ahead of it.  It's a very revealing design and very sensitive to changes in the system.  They're very dynamic and clean and image as you'd expect a good monitor to.

If you're going to try something with the OW1, you'll likely have to cross it over a bit higher.  The OW1, however, is closer in efficiency to the Revelator woofer where the Fountek in the SSR is padded down due to it's 95db efficiency.  The OW1 is 87db.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

St. Louis G2G
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 04:28:30 PM »
Thanks, Bryan. Your comments are helpful; and confirm what I've read and heard for myself re: the SS driver(s).

I don't know what the crossover freq. or slope is on the SSR's; but Dennis Murphy and Rick Craig both seemed to indicate that with an OW1, a 4th order @ 2.5k would work fine.. maybe even a 2nd order @ 3k with the SS 7" Revelator mid/woof. The FS version of the OW1 might make a 2.5/ 2nd order viable.

But definately do-able at any rate.  :)

Thanks again!

WEEZ