Author Topic: SAS 11A linestage tour reviews  (Read 13032 times)

miklorsmith

Re: SAS 11A linestage tour reviews
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 02:21:14 PM »
What is the contour of the bass control?  What other ways could this be done?  I think it's a great idea.

miklorsmith

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 02:40:52 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.  What I mean is what frequencies/slope are involved.  Is it a 60 - 200 hz, 6 db/octave slope, could it be ordered with a custom contour?

My room is a giant bass sucker.  I have huge bass power from 20 hz - 70 hz with a full parametric EQ and pro amp, so I'm good there.  From 70 - 200 hz the mains take over and there's a suckout in my room in that range.

Having played with various room EQ solutions, I really believe in this idea - especially in the bass.  I don't need any technical information, rather just an explanation of the effect.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 02:43:30 PM by miklorsmith »

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 01:20:04 PM »
Hi Mik,

I won't mention any of my design, but that the controls are partly responsible for minimizing any digititis the dac/player might present. But even set neutral, digititis has not been mentioned in the reviews, and PMs I have received, as a problem. (Of course TT might be  better.)

As you mentioned in your review of the Lessloss, there are designs that seem to minimize or eliminate the problem of digititis.

"Point? The Lessloss 2004 DAC is a mightily ambitious product yet remains coherent and never strays into classic digititis."

"Treble performance is excellent, with shimmer, sparkle and fireworks. However, in my system it did occasionally show elements of hardness that I associate with digititis. How bad? Not bad at all. In fact, upper frequencies are presented exceptionally well. Why bring it up then?"

"Honestly however, treble performance of the Lessloss 2004 DAC is outstanding. Integration with the whole allows a relaxing yet highly resolved portal to the recording. The usual complaints about digital treble are minimized to such a degree that I would be very surprised if anyone shopping in this price bracket would find fault with it."

What might also help mik, even more, is bypassing the analog/mute sections. I can see your concern of older dacs/players though when you stated:

"What I'm saying is that either so-called neutral systems do not recover the rich, organic flow of music, or that this character does not survive digitization and has to be infused at the playback side."

But I think this may be a mute point with the Altmann, Lessloss, other improved designs, or simply bypassing the analog stages in the dac/player.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 01:56:18 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

miklorsmith

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 02:13:34 PM »
One of the principles of loudspeaker design that I have heard is that high frequencies and low frequencies should be somewhat proportional.  As extension and energy increases on one side of the ledger, it must be balanced at the other.  Otherwise, a bloated presentation without upper sparkle or a "hot" presentation without adequate bass fill will result.

This balance obviously does not make the speaker, but it does explain some aberrant behaviors.

With this in mind, it makes sense that bumping the bass a bit would comparatively reduce the presence of the high frequencies where most digital problems reside.

Yep, the Altmann and Lessloss are both terrific at taming digital harshness.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 02:57:38 PM »
Hi Mik,

Yes, I have great sound from either dac or tt without having to adjust the speakers specifically to either. Of course a speaker won't totally correct a digititis problem, the glassy sound. One has to do more than that.

Take care.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:09:25 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

miklorsmith

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 03:20:17 PM »
I think it's a great feature and one that should be used more in commercial offerings.  Also, an adjustable (or even fixed) high-pass filtered output is a great thing - especially for us hi-eff guys.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 03:25:58 PM »
"Also, an adjustable (or even fixed) high-pass filtered output is a great thing"

Got it as well. Also, just in case one has a hot tweeter or one is sensitive to highs, as well. (Lonewolf's review page 1).

"Another point....5 inputs .... monitor jacks.... AC line polarity switch....variable bass control....high frequency switch...a lot of things covered....so its very flexible in any situation."

But even without, I am coming to find that digital is pretty darn good (no mention in the reviews of digititis with different systems). I would not have said that about digital a couple of years ago. By the way, treating CDs is very important to relax the sound. That and eliminating the cheap analog gainstages in the players/dac that can cause harshness, and cause problems with the tonal balance.

"I think it's a great feature and one that should be used more in commercial offerings."

Unfortunately, these days, most "designers/manufacturers" simply copy someone elses design, or part thereof; so one does not see much new.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 05:48:52 AM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 05:22:48 AM »
My interest is perking. A line polarity switch is very smart. I have so many recordings that require its use. Brilliant! Flexible it is.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 12:14:28 PM »
My interest is perking. A line polarity switch is very smart. I have so many recordings that require its use. Brilliant! Flexible it is.

rollo

Hi Rollo,

Actually, it is an AC power line polarity switch. I am wondering if you mean a signal polarity switch? Sorry for any confusion Rollo.

Steve
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 12:43:08 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 04:55:41 PM »

rollo

Hi Rollo,

Actually, it is an AC power line polarity switch. I am wondering if you mean a signal polarity switch? Sorry for any confusion Rollo.

Steve

steve,
          Yes I thought signal poarity switch. However Power line polarity switch is a good thing as well.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 06:08:53 AM »

rollo

Hi Rollo,

Steve

steve,
          Yes I thought signal poarity switch. However Power line polarity switch is a good thing as well.

rollo

Your right Rollo, it can cause a "hardening" of the sound, a lack of relaxation I guess one could call it.
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 12:39:56 PM »
Dear Guys,

I am officially ending the tour, as overall I have had great reviews. I thank all those for their time and efforts. The touring 11A and for sale on my "Specials" page.

Take care and thanks again Gents.
Steve
SAS Test Phono Stage