Author Topic: BB's improve sound!  (Read 13511 times)

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: BB's improve sound!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 07:01:54 AM »
I remember having a huge box of BB's from when I was a kid (probably copper). One day I picked up the cardboard box they apparently were in and either slipped, dropped it, or there was some kind of hole. But all of a sudden there were 1000 BB's all over the floor and running away from me in all directions.

That was the end of them. I think there was a shop vac used in the clean up.

This is my fear too that all the BBs will fall out of the boxes I have. I'll double check to make sure the bottoms are reinforced so the BBs just don't fall out when I put them in there. I can't use the container they came in due to the casing that Daisy puts the BBs in is tall.

If anything I'll get one of those project boxes from Radioshack or something.

The BBs are set to be delivered on Friday so I hope to have something to you all soon.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 07:46:37 PM »
Well you get what you pay for. The idiots that packaged the BBs put all the protective padding on the top of the BBs and the plastic cases took the brunt of all the UPS drops since they were on the bottom. I open up the box tonight and the BBs are all at the bottom of the box. Oh well. On the bright side they aren't on the floor and not in a Shop Vac.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 06:43:26 AM »
  Actually some science to these BB applications. The BBs release energy by rubbing together and releasing the resonance as heat. similar to sand. Plus the advantage of soaking up some EMF.
    I would try putting a exposed wire in the mix and ground it. A copper plate at the bottom of the enclosure with a wire soldered to such oh my !
     A nice wood box and geez $600 each. Kidding aside IMO on speakers we may have something here.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 04:39:12 PM »
I would strongly recommend that you make sure those bb's can't fall through the venting on gear. If they can do not use them. For obvious reasons.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 08:05:49 PM »
This BB experiment so far isn't adding any sonic benefit to my systems or taking anything away. I think I either need a lot more BBs spread around different components. I put 6000 BBs on top of my Sumo 9 amp with no difference either way. I put 12000 BBs on top of a 1.8 KvA Topaz Isolation Transformer and no sonic difference either way.

I was able to get some VPI DB-5 magic bricks and will put them on the same gear to hear if those make a difference.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 07:33:10 AM »
  So the BB's are a bust ? The VPI brick from my memory softened the sound. Was not a fan.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 11:32:03 AM »
Yep. The BBs were a bust for me. I think for this tweak to work I would need to spread the BBs out to my sources in addition to my amp and isolation transformer. I need to remember to get those small enclosure cases from Radioshack to spread the BBs around.

As for the VPI bricks. They are on the transformers of my amps and I haven't had much improvement in sound but no degradation in sound either.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 12:22:58 PM »
  Correct me if I am wrong but was not the BB tweak for DIGITAL components mostly ?

charles

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 01:47:18 PM »
From what I can recall the BBs were put on all sorts of equipment. Source and preamp mostly with the gear pretty much covered with boxes of BBs. They actually said they had a bad sonic experience when putting the BBs on power conditioners.

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 11:41:04 AM »
I remember having a huge box of BB's from when I was a kid (probably copper). One day I picked up the cardboard box they apparently were in and either slipped, dropped it, or there was some kind of hole. But all of a sudden there were 1000 BB's all over the floor and running away from me in all directions.

That wdas the end of them. I think there was a shop vac used in the clean up.

:-P I just noticed this. Then I go piping up about the same thing later on like it's a revelation....  :rofl:

Wow, that could be disastrous with an amp like my Moscode 600, which has big slots on the cover for ventilation purposes. A box of BBs spilling on top of that would fall right in and short out half the circuit board.   :shock:

Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 07:56:56 AM »
  OK put the BB boxes on the trannies of my preamp. Improvement in sound. Open with better focus. On amps zero result, on Uberbuss IEC side an improvement. On power supply for CDP no improvement.
   The biggest change was at the duplex outlet feeding the system. I have a quad outlet with two duplex outlets. it waseasy to rest the box across the two top plugs.
   Quieter than before which I thought was impossible so more musical info available with added 3D imaging.
    This may work in some areas but certainly not a one size fits all. If you are willing to experiment with all options IMO an improvement can be had.
     In the end two boxes atop each other at the IEC end of the Uberbuss, one on each preamp power supply transformer, and one on each plug in system [ a bitch to do until I used Blu-tak ]
     In a week or two i will remove them. that should be the ultimate test when they are gone. Keep ya posted.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2015, 06:57:28 AM »
   Another tweak that is affective. TRY IT !!

charles