Author Topic: Fuses for dac  (Read 13465 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Fuses for dac
« on: August 30, 2014, 06:51:14 PM »
Any particular brand that people are gun-ho about. Looking at a 5x20 .5 amp fuse ....maybe.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Fuses for dac
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 08:25:12 PM »
I have had good results from HiFi tuning fuses. I put them in all my electronics. Didn't help in the transport but it did help in the DAC.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »
I've tried a lot of fuses over the years, I like these a lot.

http://www.audio-magic.com/Prod-NanoFuse.html
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

DaveC

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 10:35:37 PM »
Furutech

Offline Werd

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 07:07:54 AM »
They all look good. Guess I'm going to have to do an

Eenie meanie miney mo catch a fuse by the toe. If he hollers let em go.
Eenie meanie miney mo.

lol Hifi tuning fuses wins
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rpf

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »
I found the Hi-Fi Tuning Fuses to make a significant difference. Recently, after reading Roger Modeski's criticism of them on AC as being inadequate for tube fusing, I changed over to the new (though ridiculously expensive) Synergistic Research Red fuses in all of my fuse positions. (The "Red" are sand filled ceramic, negating the potential for plasma conductance that was Modeski's point of contention). Likely unnecessary outside of the tube fuses but I was annoyed at Hi-Fi Tuning for wasting my money and didn't want to take any chances.

The SR, IMS, are noticeably better: more detail and image separation and a larger soundstage.

So I have a bunch of Hi-Fi Tuning fuses I no longer want, including the 5x20mm 500ma you're looking for Werd. Most are gold, some silver. I'll send them, for free, to anyone who wants them (Werd gets dibs on the 500ma, though I may have two).

The others are a 6x32mm 800ma and several 6x32mm 250ma. Just PM me.

Rob
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:14:05 AM by rpf »
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

DaveC

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
I've used HiFi Tuning fuses, got one in my preamp right now and one in a DAC I sold recently. They did make an improvement.

IMO... in the AC thread the HF tuning fuses were used inappropriately as a tube fuse, so it was seeing high voltage DC, and doesn't mean they won't work properly for AC power, but it was far more convenient for Roger to just say they aren't safe.

Isoclean and Furutech are UL listed so if you're worried if they will do their job as a fuse I'd go with one of those brands.

Offline rpf

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
Yes, I noted the difference between using them as tube fuses and otherwise.

Unfortunately, the Furutech and Isoclean don't seem to come in some smaller values, ie., 250ma (at least in 6x3mm) for Furutech (which is the value for my tube fuses) and anything less than 1 amp for Isoclean. At least from the most handy sources.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline Werd

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
I found the Hi-Fi Tuning Fuses to make a significant difference. Recently, after reading Roger Modeski's criticism of them on AC as being inadequate for tube fusing, I changed over to the new (though ridiculously expensive) Synergistic Research Red fuses in all of my fuse positions. (The "Red" are sand filled ceramic, negating the potential for plasma conductance that was Modeski's point of contention). Likely unnecessary outside of the tube fuses but I was annoyed at Hi-Fi Tuning for wasting my money and didn't want to take any chances.

The SR, IMS, are noticeably better: more detail and image separation and a larger soundstage.

So I have a bunch of Hi-Fi Tuning fuses I no longer want, including the 5x20mm 500ma you're looking for Werd. Most are gold, some silver. I'll send them, for free, to anyone who wants them (Werd gets dibs on the 500ma, though I may have two).

The others are a 6x32mm 800ma and several 6x32mm 250ma. Just PM me.

Rob

Oooh oooh oooh ooh. You made me go all horseshack. I will send a pm tonight.  :thumb:.

Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 05:26:15 PM »
Hey Werd, seeing how you're getting a freebee Hi-Fi fuse, may I recommend you splurge $7.49 and try a WA-Quantum fuse chip from VH Audio. I'm using a Hi-Fi Supreme fuse in my Havana dac, to good effect I might add but adding 1 of these chips on the fuse made that effect even better yet. This is definitely 1 of the more affordable tweaks out there. http://www.vhaudio.com/wa-quantum-chip.html  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline Werd

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 11:05:48 PM »
Hey Werd, seeing how you're getting a freebee Hi-Fi fuse, may I recommend you splurge $7.49 and try a WA-Quantum fuse chip from VH Audio. I'm using a Hi-Fi Supreme fuse in my Havana dac, to good effect I might add but adding 1 of these chips on the fuse made that effect even better yet. This is definitely 1 of the more affordable tweaks out there. http://www.vhaudio.com/wa-quantum-chip.html  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

K going to order so e big ones for my amp.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 01:09:02 PM »
Hey look at this i got a un locked fuse thread already started.  :rofl:

I wanted to reply to your post Dave but it got shut down.  AC is all about vibration. You learn this real quick when installing outlets with out turning the fuse box off. Try to play "Operation" on a live 120v home out let and you get Zapped.

Everyone here has done it so they know what it feels like. The AC zap feels identical to a heated vibration. You can actually feel the hz vibrate. Its heated but what's dangerous is the vibrational current through the heart. Its the vibration that stops the heart. AC is all about current vibration. The voltage is the heat and potential.

A DC zap feels like a fire cracker going off in your hand. The more voltage the bigger the firecracker. So if anyone says there is no resonance in a working fuse they do not understand AC current.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

DaveC

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 01:32:54 PM »
Yeah, I've done both.... I used to make a device that ran at 3kV DC, the arc jumped one time and all of a sudden I was standing 3' behind where I was before...  :shock:

I honestly can't believe Roger is even capable of designing a working amplifier given some of the incredibly misguided things he's said.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 09:18:24 PM »
rpf, when I owned Manley 100W tube amps they came with Bussman ceramic envelope fuses for the B+ (and main) rather than glass. Is this the same thing that RM is talking about? Is "sand filled ceramic" different than Bussman standard ceramic? I'm sure Synergistic Research would say yes. I do respect them, their weird products are consistently good and they are smart enough to know how to rock the boat for lots of free publicity.

AN Rule #1: "Don't bash people here." 

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »
I have used HiFi fuses to good effect in my tube amp for years.
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare