Author Topic: Amp, direct or conditioned?  (Read 12451 times)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Amp, direct or conditioned?
« on: May 28, 2007, 02:49:57 PM »
Just curious who does what. Are you running your amp straight to the wall or through a power conditioner?

I am using an Equitech 1.5Q that is supposed to be non-current limiting and run everything but my amp through it. Just curious if it would help or kill the sound? Amp is a Mac MC402 400wpc x 2.

How about the other Mac owners here, have you experimented with this?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 03:12:24 PM »
I have the MC402 and I would never and I mean never run it other than straight to the wall. The MC402 already has enough going on within it as far as protection goes so putting something in front of it just doesn't make sense to me.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 05:13:31 PM »
I've tried it both ways and it didn't make much (if any) difference to me.  

I have had it on a Running Springs Audio Haley conditioner mainly for the protection factor (voltage sags and spikes... etc.).

However, I've recently found the MC402 works best with the latest 'Statement One' cable from BSC directly into the wall.  

I only have one 'S1' so I can't compare the conditioner with an S1 also, though.  I have a chromium from wall to the conditioner, then silver ref to the preamp.  

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 05:48:47 PM »
Carl,

I have the Running Springs Audio Haley myself! I guess we shop at the same spot!  :wink:

All kidding aside, I did try the MC402 into the Haley and although it didnt hurt anything, I felt the MC402 performed best straight to the wall and although it's not permanent, I'm also using the Statement One to power it and the results have been better than even I was expecting.  :D

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 05:59:21 PM »
Sounds like it's going to be permanent. ;)  At least now you know why I had to have it. :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 06:23:35 PM »
I wish! I make the dam thing and even I can't afford to equip my own system with it..........but I would in a heartbeat if I could!  :D

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 09:10:03 PM »
Straight to the wall.  The 'chippy' stuff goes through a conditioner but the amp and tube preamp are straight juice.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 06:44:40 AM »
I bought my speakers from a Mac dealer. They had just taken on the line when I got my speakers. I went there to pay for them and took one last listen before handing over the plastic. They sounded like shit! I was pretty thrown off, since just a few days before they sounded great on some Cary electronics. They had just received their first shipment of Mac equipment and were displaying it on demo. After Mac dealer training they told me that the Mac amps have power conditioning built in, adding more conditioning is not recommended by Mac.

When Carl brought over his 402 it did not seem to be adversely effected by the Running  Springs. But all the other amps connected to it were greatly affected, like Butler Monads (became wimpy soft), Cary SLI-80 (flattened soundstage, lost some high end), and Manley Snappers (grainy and harsh - opposite reaction as Monads.)

I think tube equipment is more sensitive to conditioning than other types, although blanket statements are never totally true, it has proven so for me so far. I would still like to try that cool new PS Audio strip though. :)
Rich

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 09:36:20 AM »
Tube preamp too? Guess I will have to do some experimenting tonight.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

twitch54

Re: Amp, direct or conditioned?
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 04:26:17 PM »
I run my Plinius SA-102 straight to hospital grade outlet , from there a dedicated 20amp line to the panel.

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 03:07:50 AM »
I asked the same question,I was told by(cable and amp manufacturer's)  straight to the wall,,preferrably a 20 amp dedicated line if possible.

biglou

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 03:38:34 PM »
i had some hum and added an isolation transformer. hum is gone. if i had relatively clean power i'd do without any conditioning.

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 05:48:25 AM »
I tried Haley and it wasn't good on my Hurricanes.  APS Purepower 1050 works great with no limits on them (120w per side.)  Regenernated 120 volt really helps with power tubes.  My SS amps for woofers and subs go straight to dedicated 20 amp line but I had a Zero Surge PM20-240 installed on my 2 20 amp lines.
 http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/panel.html
Zero Surge is the OEM for Brickwall and Bryston (the surge protection portion on their expensive Torus line).  I just want to make sure a lightening strike won't fry my amps.  :? 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 06:00:42 AM by Woodsyi »
I am a nut.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 02:41:55 PM »
I have been on the hunt of late to carry a line of conditioners that do what they say they do without restricting current. It's a natural progression for me to carry something along these lines as I get asked daily about these types of products. The problem I'm having is that most of these things seem to be doing more harm then good.

The latest line that I'm trying out is Equi=Tech who offer fully balanced units. Very interesting stuff.

http://www.equitech.com/faq/whatis.html

I have received a 1.5RQ from Equi=Tech (weighs 80 pounds!) that I will be installing shortly. If it's as good as they say it is, I will be adding it into my system and will also be exploring becoming a dealer. They are not a cheap line by any stretch but if they do the job, that to me at least is all that counts.

I have gone through a few makes and models from various suppliers over the last few weeks and I have yet to find one that wasn't restricting current even though most say they don't!

I will post again once I get it installed.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:52:06 PM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 08:00:47 AM »
What about the new stuff from PS Audio? Has anyone tried the nanotechnology filters or the regen? They both claim no power restriction. I would be interested in hearing the cheap version on my tube gear.
Rich