Author Topic: Single Branded Systems vs Separates  (Read 12904 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: Single Branded Systems vs Separates
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 09:03:47 PM »
I agree witH Werd that having a killer source is of utmost importance.
But I disagree on synergy. Synergy trumps most things when it comes to audio. Synergy won't mask a bad source, but down the line, synergy can play a great role in getting the system to sound right.

The problem is  somethimes synergy is elusive, and sometimes happens when you least expect it.

I am not so sure of the single brand theory. Lets say they make a great amp, that does not neccesarily mean they make a great preamp or source, they may be good at amps! Preamps are another animal.
Of course they want to sell the complete lineup so they can sell you stuff. Proac makes very nice sounding speakers, but I wouldn't expect agreat preamp or cd player from them.
Porsche makes great cars, but I would not buy a Porsche dishwasher just because it said Porsche on it...
Now a Ferrari dishwasher.....that's got to be a chic magnet
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
I think synergy is far more complex than just matching names

Absolutely.

Personally I think buying from a single manufacturer more or less forces you to purchase from the big boys that make a wide range of products.  I generally eschew them these days because I believe the smaller guys are where it is all at. 

Thanks
Bill

Being a smaller manufacturer, I agree with you whole heartedly. I say that seriously. The reason is the larger manufacturers usually do not go outside the box when it  comes to designing. It is toe the line. There is also a difference between inside "theory" engineers and field engineers. Often times they are at odds.

Smaller manufacturers can go outside the box, go deeper into theory and impliment solutions without hassles etc.

Cheers.
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 01:59:52 PM »
I think synergy is far more complex than just matching names

Absolutely.

Personally I think buying from a single manufacturer more or less forces you to purchase from the big boys that make a wide range of products.  I generally eschew them these days because I believe the smaller guys are where it is all at. 

Thanks
Bill

Being a smaller manufacturer, I agree with you whole heartedly. I say that seriously. The reason is the larger manufacturers usually do not go outside the box when it  comes to designing. It is toe the line. There is also a difference between inside "theory" engineers and field engineers. Often times they are at odds.

Smaller manufacturers can go outside the box, go deeper into theory and impliment solutions without hassles etc.

Cheers.

Definitely cheaper with sane quality and worth while keeping in mind when buying.

I would say for a brand system from a small manufacturer I would look  for the small manufacturer that specializes in front end like digital dacs and CDs. That is the for the best full brand system from a small manufacture.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 05:35:44 AM »
And don't forget that small manufacturers are often direct sale, without that added middle man markup. That allows them to pass goods on to you for almost half what they would cost otherwise.

And since they are direct sale there is a good chance that they have a try it before you buy it policy. And most certainly are available for a discussion and consultation over the phone as well. Now that's service, of a different type than you used to get from your local audio dealer, but it seems to be where the industry is going in the future.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »
It is true a large company can have an advantage when it comes to cosmetics.

I would look past source components from a small company. A small company can easily out do a medium and/or large company when it comes to preamplifiers and amps.

Cheers.
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 08:14:13 AM »
  I would consider Steve's Amps and Preamp offerings a single brand of sort. I would think that the components have a wonderfull synergy together. Can Steve's gear sound good with other Amps or Preamps used Yes yes and yes, however my bet is together a tough act to beat.
  If I was to purchase Steve's Pre the amp would have to be auditioned as well. Just makes sense. Just like many other manufactures of multiple components.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2012, 08:41:22 AM »
I am more confident in the designs of larger, established companies. I have seen a lot of junk from small peanuts. But I will buy from a one man show if I trust he knows what he is doing, and not pursuing sound quality as a holy grail at the expense of other concerns, like compatibility with other brands and basic safety.

Large companies do tend to offer less value, due to greater overhead, but they still survive for good reasons.

opnly bafld

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »
  I would consider Steve's Amps and Preamp offerings a single brand of sort. I would think that the components have a wonderfull synergy together. Can Steve's gear sound good with other Amps or Preamps used Yes yes and yes, however my bet is together a tough act to beat.
  If I was to purchase Steve's Pre the amp would have to be auditioned as well. Just makes sense. Just like many other manufactures of multiple components.

charles

:thumb:

Lin

Public service announcement: this is a fanboy post