Author Topic: What have been your audio epiphanies?  (Read 11941 times)

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
What have been your audio epiphanies?
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:07:03 AM »
What have been your essential insights into audio?  And what experience/explanation triggered it?

My first epiphany was my first experience of true stereo imaging.  As a college junior in the summer of 1976, I walked into a neighborhood music store that ran a small audio shop.  Squeezed into the room was Fried Model H speakers (LS3/5a like monitors with a large "coffin" stereo passive mass loaded transmission line subwoofer).  I started out thinking I wanted a pair of large PA for home type of speakers, like JBL L-300's which I listened to there, but they steered me towards the Frieds with an soundstage demonstration.  I couldn't locate which monitors were playing (there had to be a dozen pair of monitors all hanging on the wall plus the huge L-300s and that "coffin"), until I walked right up to them (like a blind man).  When I asked how they could produce all the deep bass I was hearing the "coffin" was pointed out.

I left there greatly confused.  This audition had exposed me to what was beyond "hi-fi" (even well done hi-fi) sound.  I pondered what I'd heard for months and went back to that shop repeatedly to learn and hear more before buying a pair of those monitors a year later.  And as they say, the rest is history.

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
Re: What have been your audio epiphanies?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:32:04 AM »
Hi,

My epiphany occurred when I went to War Audio which is located in Perth, Western Australia.  Pat designs his own speakers and I listended to a pair of bookshelf speakers that used a focal 7 inch access mid/bass driver and an axon (orca) tweeter.

Wow, what a revelation.  Previously I had owned quadral, monitor audio and energy pro 22 speakers.

These little bookshelf speakers set me up for an expensive journey.  But nonetheless I have enjoyed it.

Regards

Rod

Bigfish8

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 06:33:43 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Approximately three years ago my wife asked me to put on some music.  I had converted from a two channel Yahama CR2040 receiver to a Denon 3806 AVR a couple of years prior and pretty much gone to HT Video, no music.  My speakers were Monitor Audio Silver 9i's and a Denon DVD Player.  Well, after starting the CD playing my wife made the comment that I really miss the old receiver and old speakers (ADS 810 II's).  What was coming from the speakers could roughly be described as music but it totally lacked any emotional impact.  That very day I began searching the internet, found AC and began posting newbie questions.  Heck, I hate to admit it but at that time I had not even been exposed to the term 2 channel because it had always been referred to as stereo.  :rofl:

Well, that is beginning of the story that has led me into this wonderful quest! :thumb:

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 06:55:50 AM »
   For me it started when I tagged along with a musician friend of mine to a friends home to listen to Heco Hoern speakers. The system consisted of a Revox B77 tape recorder home made tubed gear and the Heco speakers.
   Having a Sony receiver and B&O TT. I thought I had a cool system. The next day I bought the speakers and a Sansui intergrated and tuner. A few months later visited Stereo Exchange bought a Linn LP12, AR 6B and a Klyne SK5A preamp and the rest is history.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 11:23:49 AM »
Denon 3806 & Monitor Audio Silver 9i's

Once upon a time I had this exact system myself! I actually thought it was darn good on it's own but when I stopped using the Denon for power and starting running separate amps, the 9i's really came alive.

I don't sell them but I have always been a fan of Monitor Audio speakers. I have had everything from 3i's to the Gold GS 60's. I haven't spent anytime with the Platinum's however as I have a hard time with the price they are trying to get for them but I would like to hear the PL 300's one day.

musicfile

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 01:18:07 PM »
hmm I've had many but one that stands out is a pair of Quad Esl paired with Foundation Research Preamp and Art Audio monoblocks the TT was Clearaudio one of their real expensive models
It was one of those moments where you say to yourself damn my system does not sound like that I wish it did 

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 05:33:20 PM »
Mine was in the summer of 1975 when I heard Tympani 1Ds driven by Audio Research in an audio store in Spokane Wa. The Second Epiphany was using quasi-second order series crossovers in my DIY speaker designs.
Scotty

Offline JLM

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 02:43:50 AM »
Please share how these experiences have expanded your audio perspective.

Finding a great new piece is great, but that's not what I had in mind.  Perhaps I boiled down the definition of epiphany too much.  Dictionary.com defines an epiphany as a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.

I find that audio dwellers are created from one or more of those "light bulb" moments that some folks never have and I'd like to hear from you as to what some of those were.  Obviously most never develop more than a passing interest in audio, but to some well reproduced music speaks to our core being.

Here's another of mine: 

Years ago I auditioned Paradigm Studio 20's ($800/pair small 2-way standmounts) versus Paradigm Active 20's (the $1,600/pair internally amplified version of the Studio 20's).  A typical audio shop room (smallish, with way too much equipment in it) was used for both.  Associated equipment was way above the quality of the speakers.  The Studio 20's were nice enough, did all those things you'd expect from the above description but no more, and had the Paradigm house sound, which was fairly neutral on their smaller speakers, but is devoid of interest or personality.   

The Active 20's were amazing, there was no comparison.  The lack of unique soul was still there, but frequency response was flat.  (This in itself is another epiphany.)  Bigger still was the incredible dynamics, which made you believe you were listening to large highly efficient floorstanders.  But the biggest improvement was in the depth and strength of bass.  The "where's the sub?" line gets overused, but it certainly applied here.  And these things could play loud.  Passersby were gobsmacked, this was truly a slam dunk and obvious to all.  Somebody severely bent the laws of physics to get this volume, dynamics, and deep bass to happen from small standmounts. 

It a dirty shame that audiophiles don't go this route, it really makes us look foolish in terms of quality and value.  In the then current Paradigm line up, the Active 20 provided the dynamics and bass of their $1,600 - 2,000 floorstanders while adding flat frequency response, improved coherence from using just two drivers, and saving the cost of amplifiers.  I've heard that the Active 20's had quality issues after years of use, but many vendors of active speakers exist to choose from that the professionals routinely shop.  And audiophiles object to the severe vibrations imparted on the amps by being mounted internally (while using internal crossovers?).  But one listen that those concerns melt away.

shep

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 06:43:02 AM »
1979; Maggies with Audio Research SS 52B amp, don't remember what pre. I bought both. Heaven on earth (at the time) I'm still running after that experience.

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 11:50:01 AM »
My former boss in Omaha Nebraska invited me over to listen. Dedicated basement and I kid you not, his albums and cd's were valued over 100K alone! Sat down to listen and was blown away by the lifelike incredible sound. I asked who was playing, he said Lee Ritenour. I said which album, he said "Portrait" I said can't be that's my favorite album/cd and I listen to it everyday. I was so sure it could not be Lee Ritenour that I wagered lunch. He retrieved it from his cd player and it was indeed Lee Ritenour "Portrait". I was playing the same tape in my car to his house! This is when it dawned on me that I did not have a clue about how much music I was not hearing on my hi-fi system. My music world was forever changed. I learned then that If you want to play with the big boys you have to pay more than you want to back in the 80's. The Mark Levinson, Linn and Proceed equipment was awfully expensive, but it was so much better that I had to have it. Right after acquiring the Mark Levinson 27.5 amp and Linn preamp, I heard a pair of Maggies 1.5QR and bought them. In love for 15 yrs!

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline JLM

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 02:46:48 PM »
Rocket, you said that the custom speakers were a revelation. Could you elaborate?

Charles, what was it that the Heco Hoern speakers did to inspire you to pursue audio?

Scotty, how did those Tympani 1Ds driven by Audio Research and later the 2nd order crossovers provide essential insights into audio for you?

Shep, please share how Maggies with Audio Research SS 52B amp expanded your understanding of audio.

Henry, I’m not convinced that you need to spend tons in order to find audio nirvana. 

TIA for your contributions.

shep

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »
How do you explain an epiphanie? eye opening? ear opening? Anyway you slice it, the exerience has been expensive and frustrating. Like chasing a wil-o-whisp! Your first kiss...

Bigfish8

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »
How do you explain an epiphanie? eye opening? ear opening? Anyway you slice it, the exerience has been expensive and frustrating. Like chasing a wil-o-whisp! Your first kiss...

Shep:

I think for me you hit on the head, - ear opening, expensive and frustrating.  I would have to add short-term euphoria because without it most of us would have been long gone! :thumb: 

Ken

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 06:42:05 PM »
The exposure to the Tympani 1D and Audio Research was the first time I had heard what could be considered state of the art sound for 1975. Listening to that system was the first time that I had heard true to life image scaling in the sound stage. Seated on the floor in front listening to the Tympanies it sounded like Jimmy Hendrix was playing live on stage in front of me. This experience kindled a life long interest in the pursuit of High Fidelity sound reproduction. Using a quasi-second order series crossover instead of the ubiquitous parallel topology that is found in almost all loudspeakers illustrated that something about the parallel network sucks the dynamic life right out of the music. On paper nothing should be different between the sound of a series network and a parallel network,in actual practice this is not the case. I would say only a superbly engineered and executed active speaker will have more dynamic life. I would rather live with the set of compromises that come with a quasi-second order series network than those that come with a parallel network.
Scotty

AcidJazz

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 07:07:04 PM »
The year: 1975 or '76.
The event: A DJ set up at our home party, active system, with tubes on the mid-hi horns and SS big ass amps on the bass. It was the cleanest DJ system I ever heard, even from 1/4 mile away. The tech guy associated with the DJ was a fellow school buddy, and through him my interest in hi fi was born. The tube amp was my tech buddy DIY effort.
I have been chasing that power and cleaness/detail ever since.
I get close, but still a way to go.