Author Topic: Balanced Power System and Power Cables  (Read 10471 times)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Balanced Power System and Power Cables
« on: February 07, 2007, 02:26:08 PM »
I just bought myself a EquiTech 1.5Q balanced power system. I need a 8' power cable to plug the unit in. I will then need about four 5' or so cables to feed my equipment.

My question is, would the cable feeding the 1.5Q need to be the same or better quality than the cables on the other side feeding my equipment?

I am thinking of going with Black Sand or Reality PC's.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 02:55:47 PM »
Unfortunately, it did for me. (sigh)  So, another few bucks to spend... ;)
I really like the Black Sand Cables... I have not heard RC PC's, just his inteconnects which I like a lot.

Not only does it make a difference, each cable you try will be a little different.  If you went with BSC's, ideally, the Silver Ref's would be best throughout... they have the best of everything.  However, the Chromium's have a smooth and clean presentation that I like quite a bit.... and you can use those on everything.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 03:45:31 PM »
I figured that would be the case. The Silver Ref's are out of my price range. I see the Violet and Chromium are the same price. Any idea the difference between the two?

I know a lot of people on AC use and like the Violet, but I have never even heard the Chromium mentioned.

Same goes with the Reality speaker cables and IC's. Lot's of those around, but I don't know of anyone who uses his PC's.

Weird.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

miklorsmith

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 04:26:01 PM »
My rule of thumb is figure out the absolute maximum you can spend, then exceed that by 25%.  Your bank account will *prove* you're getting good sound.

I don't know squat about power cords.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 05:17:49 PM »
RE: Chromium vs. Violet
I'd say the difference in presentations are akin to SS and tubes.... The violet is a bit more 'edgy' with a little more forward-ness and maybe a bit more detail.

The Chromium has a smoother, maybe 'cleaner' sound and has a more laid back presentation than the violet.

The Silver Ref is if you took the smooth sound of the Chromium and combined it with the faster attack of the violet... The result is a weighty, smooth sound but with impact and speed.

I preferred the Chromium's in my system.

-C

Double Ugly

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 06:31:31 PM »
I tried the Silver Refs, and shortly thereafter replaced every cable in my system w/ them.  Thankfully my set-up requires only 3 PCs, but I'd have purchased 10 if the system req'd it.

Black Sand PCs and Straley's speaker cables are better than anything I've used or auditioned in my system, regardless of price.  

As an aside, I seem to be in the minority with regards to Straley's ICs.  I didn't care for them at all, and that's an understatement.

FWIW...

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 07:55:25 PM »
I don't know squat about power cords.

I don't know squat about power cords either. But heres the scoop. I sent an email to a well known reviewer to ask him some questions he did on the Adagios. He answered all my questions and then let me in on his "secret" to good sound.

He swears by the Equitech units and says it made his system so much better sounding it was not funny. Says it beats the B.P.T and all the others he has heard. He just happened to have a spare for sale and was I interested in it. He ended up giving me a helluva price and so I bought it.

His other advice was using good power cables with it as he heard another big difference when doing so. His favorite are JPS Labs cords. I can't afford those either, but figured I look into some others to try.

For the record, I am using all stock cords and one Absolute Power cord (sold by GTT) on my power my amp.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 08:01:47 PM »
RE: Chromium vs. Violet

Well, I much prefer tubes over SS, so maybe the Chromium is the better choice for me.

One the other hand, with a tube amp and (some say) mellow speakers, maybe the Violet would bring out more detail, and make the system more alive sounding.

I guess the only way to really find out is try a set of each in the system. Looks like I may have to call BSC and find out if they have a demo policy!

As an aside, I seem to be in the minority with regards to Straley's ICs. I didn't care for them at all, and that's an understatement.

Out of curiosity then, what IC's are you using and what PC's did you end up using?

miklorsmith

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »
Mike, I've got a bunch of cables you can check out too.  I've got two pairs of Zu's best ICs, two of their Birth power cords, their top-end Ibis speaker cables, and a bunch of other stuff too.

The Zu stuff is still available, some of the other stuff isn't.  It's kind of sad that even energy transmission wires change models so often, but c'est la vie.

I would guess that with a warmish system, going with more neutral wires could keep things away from the tipping point.

I'd be happy to bring my Signature amps over too, as they will definitely be a different flavor.  And, no power cords!

You might have to bring that BPT over some time though!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 01:36:58 AM »
Mike....Another vote for Black Sand PC.....they work.
I would go for the Silver Ref. on your amp and power conditioner.....start there...you can always add more later.
I was lucky enough to "catch on" early....got mine at a very good price....but...check Audiogon, you might get lucky....but they go fast.

Black Sand Cable Feedback...

Double Ugly

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 05:36:43 AM »
Quote from: "mca"
Out of curiosity then, what IC's are you using and what PC's did you end up using?
ICs:  I'm using Stealth Indra, but I also compared the Straleys to the Sonoran ICs I have on hand.  No comparison IMO, as both were much more organic sounding than the Straleys.

PCs:  As mentioned above, Black Sand Silver Refs (Version V, not that I think it matters a lot).

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 06:57:56 AM »
Just a couple of quick notes... when I said I preferred the Chromium, I should've said 'between the Violet and Chromium, I preferred the Chromium... if I could afford the Silver Ref's throughout, I would... and what DU has done is likely yielding the best results.

Maybe we could appeal to John for a group buy discount to help AudioNervosa :?:  I've sent him an invitation to AN, hopefully he'll be able to at least join our little community.

Also, I have 1 extra Chromium lying around if you'd like to try it... It'd be really cool if you could compare a few and report back your findings.

-C

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 09:03:18 AM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
Maybe we could appeal to John for a group buy discount to help AudioNervosa :?:  I've sent him an invitation to AN, hopefully he'll be able to at least join our little community.
-C

You called?  :D

I have no problem at all with helping you guys out. Just let me know the details and I will see what I can do.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 09:27:02 AM »
That's GREAT news!
Check out this link for the GROUP BUY....
Thanks a lot, John!!!! :)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 07:16:51 PM »
Nice deal on the group buy. I hope to be able to take advantage of this in a couple of weeks.

Maybe John could step in and give us his thoughts on the differences between the cables he offers. I'd like to hear what he has to say about the two different cables both at the same price point.