Author Topic: NY Audio Show 2015  (Read 10317 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: NY Audio Show 2015
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »
Charlie your an architect?  I did not know that :thumb:
Where did you get your RA  from?

I went to Pratt for architecture but had to bail after two years, it was too hard for me, especially the engineering...whew!

It took my Ex (a licensed architect) 4 times to pass the test.
Probably the hardest test on the planet, not just a complete design of a site but all the associated engineering.

Goddam modulus of elasticity did me in on a test!  Lots of very advanced math.....

Congrats I have new found respect for you, !!do you still remember all the parts of the Roman columns? Damn so many parts with their latin names, one teacher was a real ball buster to know all this. He got his degree from Yale and I think his teacher busted his balls to know all the parts in latin, that I think he just had to torture us like he was.

Remember cleaning all the pens in the ultrasonic cleaner? We should have known back then it was good to clean records!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: NY Audio Show 2015
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 02:12:17 PM »
Charles were you ever of a member of this architectural society?

http://archleague.org/

My ex used to be a big supporter of this group, used it for lots of networking.

They have great exhibits and lectures...

My oldest son wants to be an architect so I broke out my old texts and architecture books to look at....this thread brought back lots of memories.

I found him flipping thru one of my texts by charles Jenks, "Meaning in Architecture", basically a text on semiotics in architecture and a whole lot more, very dense and difficult text.
My architectural history teacher would use this text from time to time, I tried to read the whole book but it is like reading, Prolegamena to any future metaphysics", by Kant....tough stuff.
I showed him my Corbu and Mies photo books lest he be discouraged!

I still have an old K&E letter tracer we used to use, remember those?
AutoCad just started when I was in college, but we still had to  know how to use these tools.

Remember pulling charrettes? So much hard work involved, many people  don't know how truly difficult it is to become an architect.
Saabs and Volvos were the car of choice!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.