Author Topic: Click Through Speakers When Various Things In House Switched On/Off  (Read 1617 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
I've noticed a click through the speakers whenever my oil burner turned on or off; today I noticed it when a fan in the house was turned off. I live in a split level home- the burner is downstairs, almost certainly on its own circuit, the fan is upstairs. My system is on the main level, in the middle. I sincerely doubt they are all on the same circuit.
The offending click is low in volume, nothing that would damage anything. It is only noticeable when the volume is low, or nothing is playing but the stereo is turned on. At a normal or loud volume with music playing the click cannot be heard.
Any thoughts?
Thank you.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Click Through Speakers When Various Things In House Switched On/Off
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 08:34:25 AM »
  James the circuit may be on the side leg of your panel. Do not assume your Boiler is on a dedicated line. Do you know an Electrician ? A dedicated line would eliminate any issue like that.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 03:20:17 PM »
I've noticed a click through the speakers whenever my oil burner turned on or off; today I noticed it when a fan in the house was turned off. I live in a split level home- the burner is downstairs, almost certainly on its own circuit, the fan is upstairs. My system is on the main level, in the middle. I sincerely doubt they are all on the same circuit.
The offending click is low in volume, nothing that would damage anything. It is only noticeable when the volume is low, or nothing is playing but the stereo is turned on. At a normal or loud volume with music playing the click cannot be heard.
Any thoughts?
Thank you.

The line voltage is varying, either rising or dropping for possible reasons, including an inductive kick". When the power is suddenly turned off, an inductor's magnetic field collapses, causing a voltage spike. There is usually nothing to fully absorb the spike voltage.

Insufficient power supply filtering is the cause, especially affecting the low level components. Such conditions allow the rectifier tube (if used), power transformer etc to affect the sonic quality of the component as well. As you mentioned, it won't harm a component, just noticeable.

cheers

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 01:08:08 PM »
  Yeah what he said.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.