Author Topic: What now?  (Read 11200 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
What now?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 04:44:50 AM »
Mike, those numbers are not bad at all, are they unsmoothed? If so you are doing great. There is always a place for more bass trapping, but without some diffusion on front and rear walls it will start to sound dead at some point, as you well know. So the bass dips are better than deadness. Ethan Winer does consulting for pro sound studios, and he has said that even the million dollar rooms strive for +/- 6dB. That's about as good as it gets. Since you know you have good power now, you could experiment with boosting 40Hz just a bit if you wanted to, maybe a couple dB, just to flatten that area. The behringer EQs are good, as long as you do the processing in digital and use external DAC afterward.
Rich

Offline mca

• Certifiable
What now?
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 10:03:22 AM »
Miklorsmith and I did some simple testing using a Stereophile test disk and a rat-shack meter. I have not been able to figure out the program I downloaded from Hometheatershack.com as of yet.

It's clear though just listening to the system that it is missing low end punch. Bass notes and drums have no impact making music very dull and uninspiring to listen to.

The ASC website lists a local dealer (Definitive Audio) and I am going to go in and talk to them this week. I believe they also have a guy they work with who builds custom tuned traps for rooms. I am hoping they will be able to help me out.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
What now?
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 12:03:11 PM »
If you just have those 3 dips, then I'd start playing with seating position to get into peaks instead.  Those can be more easily dealt with via treatment and tweaking speaker position.

I stronly suspect that the big null is based on a bounce off the rear wall behind your seating position but no way to know for sure.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline mca

• Certifiable
What now?
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 03:16:46 PM »
About 3/4 of the rear wall is covered by Boltz CD racks. I have one panel directly behind my seat and another up high mounted to the exposed wall.

Miklorsmith and I tried using both the Mondo traps behind the listening position with no benefit.

I have tried placing my chair at 3/4 the rooms length, at 62% back and nearfield at only 38% back. All were about the same as far as bass was concerned.

I'm running out of options to try  :shock:
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
What now?
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 04:23:27 PM »
OK.  Then those issues by default must be a combination of:

Speaker location in relation to the wall behind and beside them

Seating location in relation to the width of the room (contrary to popular belief, sitting dead center side to side is not preferred)

Seating location in relation to the height dimension (difficult to deal with and generally up much higher in frequency

Modal issues which are tangential in nature and are a combination of width and height dimensions

Bryan

Offline richidoo

What now?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 06:42:38 PM »
Mike
Try to spend some time getting the acoustic software to work. I will gladly help you if you want it. It is not hard at all. It will enable you to see what is going on, not only in frequency response but in the time domain too. You will be able to move speakers and treatment and instantly know whether it helped your specific problem or not. No wasting time with subjective judgement.  Bass guitar's lowest note is E=40Hz. So you might be missing a null that is a higher harmonic. Most bass will be in the octace from 40-80Hz with overtones above that. There is no bass tones below 40, only organ (20Hz - rare) and a half octave of piano. You have to see the freq sweep to know what you're dealing with.

The guy you mentioned who makes bass traps probably can scan the room for you with a handheld analyzer, but maybe not for free?

If you have a subwoofer from HT rig, even cheapo, you can use it to map the bass in the room easier than moving speakers around. You can put the sub at your known listening position (even on the seat) and measure potential speaker spots for flatness. You can also locate good spots for bass trapping by placing sub in one corner with analysis mic in far opposite corner (ceiling even better), move traps for best flatness.

It sounds silly, but make sure you are getting a flat signal out of the speakers. With all that trapping, your bass should be coming through clearly, unless gear is not making it. Take your SPL readings up close to the bass drivers to make sure your getting what you think you're getting. I have a mp3 of Ethan Winer's 1Hz per second sweep that you can use with SPL meter to watch speaker response. If you jam the meter in low range up close to the driver you will reduce room effect by a large margin. At least you will learn something. Let me know if you want the mp3.

I found that leaning the 6" thick 2x4 panels (mondo) on the floor against the sidewalls with the end starting at the speaker line and moving out into the room was a great place to trap bass without affecting soundstaging at all. I am allergic to any absorbtion behind the speakers, except 8th nerve, which is reflective on the front.

Try some more radical experiments to get a better understanding of the problem. Put the speakers deep into the corners of the room, with and without absorbtion in there. You should get a lot of bass reinforcement from the corners. You'll also get problems, I know, but this will tell you something, and maybe show you how placement can help a little. If it helps, you can absorb or diffuse reflections behind them if you have to. Also try out in the middle of the room, close side by side, at say 1/3 length while you listen at 2/3s. These are ideal theoretical distances for minimizing bass nodes at least on the length dimension. Move them around without any preconceived notions of what is right and wrong and see what you can learn. Try the long wall as front.

At this point you have tried a lot of things and not getting traction. Now let your hair down and see what your imagination come up with for experiments! If you desire it this badly, then the answers are within you. Report what you find and Mike or Bryan can help interpret it. Pretend it is a fun hobby for just another couple days before you start throwing equipment out into the front yard!  :D  :lol:  

Sorry it is being so difficult Mike. I hope you get it figured out soon. Let me know if you want the file or some help with the software.
Rich

Offline mca

• Certifiable
What now?
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 09:32:12 PM »
Thanks for the tips and the words or encouragement  :)

My big problem is, I really hate having to deal with all this stuff, I just want to sit and enjoy music  :evil:  I will dig in though and try and get the software up and running. It looks like there are some pieces I will have to pick up at the local rat-shack first.

I should be able to download the sweep tones off Ethan's website, no? Then I would just have to convert them to flac so I can play them with the Squeezebox. Is this on the Realtraps site or Ethan's personal site?

I have tried the speakers and the seating in every position I can think of, even moving them to the long wall. I will try jamming them into the corners to see what happens. I'll also try the traps angled on the floor like you mentioned.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
What now?
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 03:45:39 AM »
If you have the Room EQ Wizard, it will feed the signal output from the PC/Laptop audio card.  Just run that into your preamp input instead of the Squeezebox.  Use a sweep from 20-300Hz over about 3 seconds.

Also, I know it's a PITA but do as much measurement as you can with no treatment in the room so we can get the best response possible prior to the treatments.  If they're doing their jobs, they'll be masking some of the issues.

For a reality check, here is a link to the Stereophile review's frequency response at 50"

http://www.piega.ch/review_archiv/img/stereophile-01-2004-c8ltd-anechoicresponse_g.gif

That shows pretty clearly that they're very very dependent on room positioning and reinforcement.  Not sure where Piega came up with 28Hz +/-2 unless the S'Phile measurements were way off but they look like a smooth rolloff starting at about 50Hz from a hump at 60-80Hz.

I'll agree that a sketch showing the room, seating position, and speaker position as it stands now would help a ton to determine where we're starting from.  Hang in there, we'll get it better.

Bryan

Offline richidoo

What now?
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2007, 05:34:18 AM »
Ethans sinwaves in 1 Hz increments are available on his website in a Sonar4 file format.  I collect recording software like Stereofool collects speakers  :lol:  so I mixed it down and posted it here as flac. Let me know when you got it so I can take it down. I don't want to dilute Ethan's plan.  My host is blocking flac file extension or something, so had to rename it to exe to get it to download. Not sure what's going on there, but just rename it back to flac extension. I did not test it after compressing, so let me know if it is a dud.

With the panels on the sidewall I was able to hear a lot deeper bass with these little speakers I am borrowing.  I was actually surprised how low they went, but couldn't hear it before. I also put another panel along each wall further into the room behind the first ones. Not sure it helped at all, too small of a change to tell.

I found RoomEQWiz to be a little easier to work than ETF5 but it's there if you need it, it has some features the other does not, but not quite as intuitive to use. Like Bryan said, increase the test time out to 3 seconds to improve the resolution. It will make the sweep tone go up slower.

An unfortunate myth perpetrated in high end audio is that you can fix anything with better components. In my experience, they only make your acoustic problems standout even worse because of the increased dynamics and crystal clear sound source. It seems like the more accurate sound system makes the room problems easier to hear.  

With my speakers repaired, playing in the big room with all my 8th nerve stuff removed, it sounds fuzzy and covered with a thick coat of confusion. When I had the little amp and crap wires and didn't know any better it sounded fine. If you have a need for accuracy in your playback eventually you gotta deal with the room. Not as if you haven't been trying to! Since sound is invisible it is extremely frustrating, staying on a budget while experimenting is also difficult.  A friend suggested his formula of alloting cash for the stereo system. He allocates 50% of the total for room treatment. At first I thought that was way too high, but now as I learn about diffusion products and architectural changes that are appropriate when using this level of playback equipment, it makes more sense. Some of the fantasy rooms Rives has made are probably worth more than all the electronics, plus devoting a room from the floor space of the house. Are we crazy?!!
Rich

Hantra

What now?
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 01:19:18 PM »
Quote from: "mca"
The Piega/Mac system is starting to sound very good. Carl mentioned that the Mac amp takes a couple of months to break-in and so I have been letting it play almost non-stop since I bought it. There is still a bit of brightness/sharpness/tenseness to the notes, but it is getting better. I do see why the Piega's like the Mac amp, as they can soak up a lot of power.

Mike:

You really have to abuse the Mc amp for a while to make it come to life.  I burned out voice coils on a pair of old speakers I had before the 501's settled in.  I don't recommend abusing the Piegas, but find some old beaters and just play the living crap out of them at 200 or so continuously.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: What now?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2007, 12:27:49 PM »
OK, I've (finally) gotten the C8's into the my current room and have them in nearly the same place as the P5's were.  I'm using the 402 amp as well... But I have the C220 pre w/ cryo'd stock tubes, and the Scott Nixon USB tube DAC.

I have loads of bass due to the room and the speakers... and plenty of detail.  I have noticed a weirdness that I'm trying to isolate... I think my source is to blame for some issues... I just put a new tube in my DAC and that seemed to cure a little midrange suckout issue... Don't overlook your source, cables, etc. for issues with extension at either end.  Scott's stock tube is a little 'boring' so I'm rolling a few.

Also, toe-in is critical with the tone these speakers produce... and the distance apart makes huge differences (for me)...

Lastly, power... One thing I noticed is the amount of power these c8's absorb from the amp.  When I replaced the P5's with the C8's, there was a noticeable difference in volume... I'm running the amps in the 4-40 watt range now where I used to run in the .4-4watt range.  I foresee getting into bigger amps down the road, probably the 501's... when I get into the bigger room.  We'll see... right now I have no idea how the new room will sound... but looks like it'll be about 16x27 vs. 11x13... I just can't imagine the 402 will be enough... but who knows?

-C

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:29:40 PM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.