Author Topic: DAC Listening Session  (Read 4837 times)

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
DAC Listening Session
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:34:25 PM »
Hi Guys

I just wanted to let you know the results of a DAC listening session at my place last night.

OK here are the contenders.  Level 2 PDX fitted with an internal battery powered USB M2Tech board and I2S input so it can be fed with my Off-Ramp, Metrum DAC fed with Off-Ramp fully tricked out with Turbo Clocks etc - Steve Nugents best effort, a base Level Trainquility DAC and a John Kenny DAC 32.

Assocaited equipment was a Mac Mini with Audiravana Plus feeding the DAC's, a NAKSA 100 amp for part of it but switched to my Trafomatic SET early on and stayed there - IMHO it was easily better - a midrange that is simply divine.  ML3 Reference were the speakers.

To my room - it's quite bright and can 100% for sure do with some room treatments but for various reasons don't want to do it - no need to go into it here.

The guy with me basically agreed with what I thought so rather than give each persons view here is what I thought.

First the outcome - the order was PDX internal USB, PDX Off-Ramp, Metrum with Off-Ramp, Trainquilty DAC (quite close to Metrum in the midrange but with the Metrum being better otherwise), John Kenny DAC 32 and worst of all the Metrum fed with optical cable from Mac-Mini.

The best was the PDX with its internal USB with the Off-Ramp feeding it a very close second.  The internal USB was a bit rougher sounding but tended to sound as though it had a bit more detail - the Off-Ramp was somoother, with a lower noise floor, but just slightly down on sibilance control.  I have done this compariason a lot with others to confirm it and have a guy coming on over tonight to check it out as well.  Each time the result was exactly the same - either a dead tie or the internal USB preferred by a whisker.  This is really interesting because while the internal USB in the PDX is good - it not quite in the same class as the Off-Ramp which is really over the top.  Why the close result?  I don't think anyone really knows for sure but the conjecture is the shorter paths of the internal USB is lifting its performance.  I have let the maker of the Off-Ramp Steve Nugent know and he thinks he has an upgrade to fix the issue and I will be getting that a bit later.

The Metrum with the Off-Ramp was slightly more delicate and more accurate sounding than the PDX but not as musical or emotionally stasfying.  The Tranquillity had its beguiling liquid and fluid midrange that is its hallmark.  The JK32 which only costs about $700.00 sounded quite good by itself but when compared to the other stuff it had a nice midrange but tended to sound a bit dull with maybe some subjective roll-off at the extremes.  It was felt if you had heard it by itself and not compared it to this more expensive stuff it would have fared a lot better.  I personally liked the older JK version with the Saber chip and rated it slightly above the Tranquillity but not this one - horses for courses I suppose.  The Metrum fed with the optical sounded slow, dull and boring and may explain why so many have appeared second hand - to really unlock its potential you need to feed it from a low jitter source such as the Off-Ramp - otherwise it's a bit ordinary.

Anyway guys that's it - hope you enjoyed the write-up.

Thanks
Bill   

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
Re: DAC Listening Session
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:21:02 PM »
Considering you're comparing an Off-Ramp Transporter (only) against a PDX Transporter/Dac, wouldn't a better apples to apples comparison be had from using Steve Nugent's Overdrive? I understand that you already have the Off-Ramp in hand but instead of trying to have Steve continually tweaking out the Off-Ramp Transporter, why don't you simply demo the Overdrive which Steve has already stated to be the best he has to offer? Just thinking outloud here and as always, love the good reading from ya way down there.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline bhobba

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:12:19 AM »
Hi Robin

I may do that but I am in Australia mate - the cost of shipping is not to be sneezed at.

And thanks for the kind words - always appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:38:03 AM by bhobba »

Offline satfrat

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:48:17 AM »
Hi Robin

I may do that but I am in Australia mate - the cost of shipping is not to be sneezed at.

Thanks
Bill

I guess instead of saying "way down there", I should have said "way down under" so you'd know that I know where you're from Bill.  :)

While saying that shipping isn't cheap, you are continuing to send a Transporter back n forth for upgrades just so you can compare it against a complete transporter/dac that is the PDX. The Overdrive (transport/dac) is clearly superior to the Off-Ramp according to Steve and is what should be compared to the PDX to really make it a fair comparison. I really wonder if it's worth it to continue putting money in a lone transport, especially now you know what you know from your comparisons,,, unless there's a standalone Dac that you really intend to use with the Off-Ramp. And from the sounds of it, that's simply not the case. As close as the comparisons with and w/o the Off-Ramp with the PDX were, why would you want to go any further with the Off-Ramp anyways? especially if you're just going to use it with the PDX anyways?

Let's face it Bill, what you really need is the Level 3/4 Lampizator Dac,,, just ask Gopher!  :rofl:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline bhobba

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 06:29:04 AM »
Well I don't just use it with the PDX - its just about a necessity with the Metrum and when I check out DAC's without a USB like the Bryston.

I have guys bugging me all the time to get this or that DAC to check out and the Lampizitor is one of them.  Just today over on SNA here in Aus someone posted 'I would really love to hear about a DAC Shootout where PDX Level 2 is compared to some of the DACs in the same price range. (E.g PerfectWave DAC may be?)'  I actually do that when I can get a hold of DAC's like that such as the Bryston.  But when (and if) I reply I tell them all the same - if they get it and send me one I will be only too happy to check it out.

The good news in this case there is a good chance I will get one of Steve's DAC's

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:45:30 AM by bhobba »

Offline rajacat

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for review/shootout. :thumb:
Have you heard the Eastern Electric Tube DAC Plus? I wonder how it would place in your DAC hierarchy.

.. Roy

Offline satfrat

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:58:26 AM »
Thanks
Bill

No, thank you Bill and please keep it up with the good reviews.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Offline bhobba

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
Thanks for review/shootout. :thumb:
Have you heard the Eastern Electric Tube DAC Plus? I wonder how it would place in your DAC hierarchy.

Haven't heard it but know people that have.  It good, but until I hear it can really say where it fits in my hierarchy of DAC's.  However I am biased - I generally do not like SABER based DAC's

Thanks
Bill