Author Topic: Bryston DAC, Off-Ramp and Berkeley Alpha  (Read 2806 times)

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Bryston DAC, Off-Ramp and Berkeley Alpha
« on: November 28, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »
Hi Guys

For all you DAC and computer audio aficionados I thought I would mention a comparison I have just done.  A guy out my way sent me his Bryston DAC and Berkeley Alpha to check out.

Ok - the Alpha.  Tried it with my Metrum.  I think it is above the Audiophilleo but maybe with a slight milkiness.  Hooked up the Off-Ramp - entirely different class - afraid it blows the Berkeley away.  More analogue like, richer, greater detail, total lack of any milkiness.  Everything I have tried against it is the same - the Wavelength and now the Berkeley come the closest - I rate the Berkeley about the same as the Wavelength from memory.  Considering its cost I would have expected it to be closer but there you go.

Connected the Off-Ramp to the Bryston.  A slight trace of coldness and not quite the detail of the WFS fed the same way.  Still very very good.  I would put it on about a par with the Tranquility signature - but different (that DAC has a euphonic midrange character to it everyone likes and I personally prefer it but I try to put that sort of thing to one side when posting comparisons) - the DAC's in front of it are the WFS (only when fed from the Off-Ramp - otherwise its not that good), Metrum, Killer, and PDX.  The Metrum has this feeling of extreme transparency and the PDX some how tricks the brain into sounding more real - at least to my ears anyway.  I suspect its something to do with the valve output stage.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:38:49 PM by bhobba »

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Bryston DAC, Off-Ramp and Berkeley Alpha
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:04:46 AM »
Bill,

Thanks for the updates  :thumb:!

Wow, there are getting to be SO many choices, in the DAC world, and I'm sure there are many to come.

I still love the sound of vinyl, but computer audio is WAY more convenient...I'm getting so lazy. It seems such a pain to have to get out of my listening chair, and flip over the record  :roll:.

Steve
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?