Author Topic: STREAMING and WHY ??  (Read 12593 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: STREAMING and WHY ??
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 04:41:43 PM »
I have not specifically looked at trying to run Tidal app on Linux but I have used PiCorePlayer (Squeezebox on Raspberry Pi) and UPNPMDcli (sp) both under Raspberry Pi and Linux system to stream Qobuz but both have access to Tidal.  If you are not comfortable with Linux command I would recommend using PiCore which will take you 15 minutes tops to get it up and running.  Write the image to the sd card, boot it up and configure LMS setup.

One question that I would have for you is do you plan to use USB Dac or is your DAC using spdif?  You can use Pi Hat for a DAC or get spdif setup.
And this is why I spin vinyl...
"Write the image..."  what does that mean? 
"Boot it up" I assume means to restart.
Configure the LMS setup????  What?????
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »
I have not specifically looked at trying to run Tidal app on Linux but I have used PiCorePlayer (Squeezebox on Raspberry Pi) and UPNPMDcli (sp) both under Raspberry Pi and Linux system to stream Qobuz but both have access to Tidal.  If you are not comfortable with Linux command I would recommend using PiCore which will take you 15 minutes tops to get it up and running.  Write the image to the sd card, boot it up and configure LMS setup.

One question that I would have for you is do you plan to use USB Dac or is your DAC using spdif?  You can use Pi Hat for a DAC or get spdif setup.
And this is why I spin vinyl...
"Write the image..."  what does that mean? 
"Boot it up" I assume means to restart.
Configure the LMS setup????  What?????
Exactly! I simply use the Tidal app via either Bluetooth or a headphone out jack, and leave all the alphabet soup for the more involved user. It DOES NOT need to be very difficult. Sure, as with anything else, more involvement can yield better sound, but with that comes the possible headaches.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
You can stream from any of those sites with a PC and the download and install of their software.   The RPi3 is just being used as a Linux computer to access them instead of the PC. 

Streaming gives you access as everyone has said to large libraries of music.  Each site seems to have its forte of genres they have catalogs for to access.  No need to download the files, but they do not all have lossless file replay.  Some will let you purchase and download the files.

There are also a lot of HiRez download websites that you can purchase the files and download them to your library.  Prices vary greatly depending on file resolution.  These are bit perfect replay from your file playing software like Foobar2000, JRiver, etc.

Most systems will let you rip your CD and DVD-A files to your library drive.  Lots of programs out there for use to do that.

It really depends on whether the music you want to hear is available in a format you want to play online or just play from your PC or other computer.  I tend to listen to things online in low resolution first and then purchase the media or files and put them in my library to play. 

Offline James Edward

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 05:51:33 PM »
You can stream from any of those sites with a PC and the download and install of their software.   The RPi3 is just being used as a Linux computer to access them instead of the PC. 

Streaming gives you access as everyone has said to large libraries of music.  Each site seems to have its forte of genres they have catalogs for to access.  No need to download the files, but they do not all have lossless file replay.  Some will let you purchase and download the files.

There are also a lot of HiRez download websites that you can purchase the files and download them to your library.  Prices vary greatly depending on file resolution.  These are bit perfect replay from your file playing software like Foobar2000, JRiver, etc.

Most systems will let you rip your CD and DVD-A files to your library drive.  Lots of programs out there for use to do that.

It really depends on whether the music you want to hear is available in a format you want to play online or just play from your PC or other computer.  I tend to listen to things online in low resolution first and then purchase the media or files and put them in my library to play.
Again, EXACTLY! I’m only two weeks into streaming via Tidal, and I already have music I’ll be purchasing that otherwise I never would have known.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 06:42:37 AM »
SQ not improved although I haven't tried Qobuz' hi-rez. (Lousy DSL, I can barely do Tidal).

Access to new and wonderful and amazing and life-changing music goes through the roof!!

Do both - keep the he-man top of the line source but also stream. It's so cheap and easy (and fun!) to get internet access for your system.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 08:51:03 AM »
As others have stated, streaming services is a great way to expose music you might not otherwise ever hear.   I've used several over the last few years but ultimately let my subscriptions lapse.   The hi-res services like Qobuz sound pretty damn good.   I recently heard that even Amazon may be breaking into that.   But, the dinosaur in me is simply not ready to give up building my own collection, so using a streaming service has been primarily for exposure to new music that I would then go buy if I really like it.   Since a streaming service has a price tag equivalent of one or two albums per month (or a good single malt per quarter ;-), there are real tradeoffs.   

My sweet wife reminded me recently that back when my favorite music store was within walking distance, I was easily buying new albums every week that I often never listened to again.  (remember when buying a new album was a crapshoot because there was no way to hear it first?)    That store, like most, has long since closed, so perhaps I should use what I was spending there to justify the cost of a streaming service.  Rationalization is good ;-).  And yeah, I'm still buying a good bit of music, now online and I do get to hear it first.

But there are many who are replacing the concept of collecting music with just using a streaming service.   Given how much I've spent over the years on buying music (often multiple times via vinyl, cassette, cd and download), streaming services probably makes a lot of sense.  The gut check problem I have with that is that there are albums that may simply not be available via your service of choice at some point.   And giving up an extremely enjoyable lifetime of collecting music ain't no easy thing - see dinosaur reference above.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 08:09:49 PM »
Streamings big sell is you have access to millions of songs. If you have a bunch of music that you own and don't want to find new music to listen to then no streaming is not going to help you. But, if you want to find more music to lsiten to, whether it is old or new Streaming really can be great. Someone mentioned a band, or you hear a song you like, just punch it  in in your streaming app and you can listen to it right away, reading an article about a great release of an album, bring it up in the streaming app and yopu can hear it immediately.

Charles, at the club meeting I regularly find albums, artists, and songs I did not know about and when I get home bring up the stuff we were listening to and can hear what it sounds like on my system. My main setup is in the living room, when we have company over I give them control of the sound system and they can bring up literately any type of music they want to hear, not just what I have purchased. I've tried, Tidal, Napster, MOG, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, Wolfgang's, Pandora, and Slacker. I currently pay for Tidal, Napster, Amazon and might do Wolfgang's again.

Had never heard of Wolfgang’s.
https://www.wolfgangs.com/music/

https://www.keyboardmag.com/miscellaneous/wolfgangs-ampd-unlimited-streaming-of-the-worlds-largest-collection-of-live-recordings

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/music-publishers-win-major-copyright-fight-streaming-legendary-rock-concerts-1101359

I used to listen to Wolfgang's at work when it first started in the late 90s. Back then of course "streaming" wasn't really a thing, it was just a web site that I listened to music at using headphones plugged into my PC.

Back then it was called Wolfgang's Vault and he posted up a handful of concerts each week that you could listen too for free as a way to get you to browse hos site and buy some of the concert memorabilia that he was selling. Of course as the concept of streaming as a service in and of itself evolved the site eventually went subscription based.

I always enjoyed what he had to offer, but cannot really render an opinion on the SQ since I was listening through some rather lame hardware from an audiophile perspective.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2019, 09:11:30 AM »

I used to listen to Wolfgang's at work when it first started in the late 90s. Back then of course "streaming" wasn't really a thing, it was just a web site that I listened to music at using headphones plugged into my PC.

Back then it was called Wolfgang's Vault and he posted up a handful of concerts each week that you could listen too for free as a way to get you to browse hos site and buy some of the concert memorabilia that he was selling. Of course as the concept of streaming as a service in and of itself evolved the site eventually went subscription based.

I always enjoyed what he had to offer, but cannot really render an opinion on the SQ since I was listening through some rather lame hardware from an audiophile perspective.

They only dropped the Vault part recently. I had subscribed a few years ago and it was still called wolfgang's vault. As for sound quality almost all of the concerts are off of the sound board, so they sound great.
-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers/Seismic Isolation Podiums
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 52TB NAS
Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC/Pi4 Ropieee
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balance

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
STREAMING and WHY ??
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 06:08:28 AM »
Hi all.
I was just curious to see-listen to Tidal with their Free Trial suscription,
so I fill in the form and got a message saying :
Not available yet in your country! (Planet Vietnam that is)
Soooo I will wait until next year when I am in Canada.
Like I said, just curious, because for now I am very happy
with Art Radio at 4 USD a month.

Guy 13

I forgot to mentionne that I don't like to listen to music via my laptop.
For Art Radio I use my Grande Digital Mondo to my modest Cambridge - Sony combo.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:10:38 AM by Guy 13 »
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 08:47:34 AM »
  OK I admit I WAS WRONG about streaming. Still not equal to my transport/DAC but very close. Using the Innuos Zenith mk3 server is a big plus.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Guy 13

STREAMING and WHY ??
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 06:36:08 PM »
Hi all.
Happy New Year and the very best for 2020.
My question is :
Streaming vs streaming ?
Right now I have two way to stream music :
A) Via my Grace Digital Mondo Internet radio.
B) Via my ASUS laptop.
Now, with my Radio Internet I got an analog (RCA) output
directly to my Cambridge amplifier.
Sounds good to me, maybe not for others...
I also have my ASUS laptop usb output to Schiit Fulla 2
then directly to my Cambridge amplifier.
I did a A to B comparaison and my soon to be 72 years old ears
could not distinguish any differences in sound quality.
If I go with a Pecan Pi (? ? ?) or equivalent streamer,
what would be the advantage(s) ? ? ?
I would still need my laptop or a monitor screen ? ? ?
Later when back in Canada I will-might upgrade my laptop to a tower computer
and the Fulla 2 to a Asgard 3.
(Asgard offer two different DAC might go with the better more expensive one.)
For the amplifier and speakers, I am still shopping.
Any advice(s) if my old ears would benefit from an upgrade ? ? ?

Guy 13

Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2020, 10:18:14 AM »
If you cannot hear a difference between the internet radio unit and the laptop then for you there is no difference. There is no right or wrong here.  This is in a way a very selfish hobby. I build my system for me and nobody else. Well, except maybe my wife, but for the most part her input relates not so much about how it sounds, but the visual impact it will have on the living room. Since I am now working with a shared space in the house I have to play nice in the sandbox to keep peace. But outside of that I choose equipment to please nobody but myself. Ans everybody else should do the same. That's why we all end up with different systems. If there was one "right" way, we would all own the same gear. So if there is no real difference between the two units how do you choose. I would move onto logistical issues, such as which is which is easier to use in terms of operation, does one take up less space and things of that nature. The internet radio unit may be somewhat easier to use in that you can just drop it in one place and leave it there, but the laptop I would think could get you access to a wider variety of sources. For example can you get to YouTube Videos via the Internet Radio and if so how easy is it to navigate then vs using the laptop. On the other hand in my house the laptop is in and out of the house on a regular basis, so using it with the stereo would involve constant hooking and unhooking of cables, a definite headache. Everything has its own set of pluses and minuse and you just have to pick the unit gives you the best combination of them for your situation.

As for the Pecan Pi streamer, It is a great little unit for the price. When Leo was first getting Orchid Audio off the ground he brought some of his gear oer to my house and did a presentation to our local audiophile club. HE did not have a streamer product at the time but mated one of his Apple Pi DAC boards to a Raspberry Pi computers forming a unit which is similar to the Pecan Pi streamer he is now selling That combination was very nice sounding indeed. And from all the reviews I have read, his pecan series is better sounding than the original Apple series, to I am sure the Pecan Pi streamer is a great performer.

The advantage of the Pecan Pi type streamer is that it is a fully functioning stand alone unit.You operate it via a tablet or a smartphone and it will function on its own without the need for an external computer. If you have music files stored on your computer it can read them, but it doesn't need the computer to operate other than that. And if you want you can connect storage devices directly to the Pecan Pi via its USB ports.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Guy 13

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2020, 06:10:00 PM »
If you cannot hear a difference between the internet radio unit and the laptop then for you there is no difference. There is no right or wrong here.  This is in a way a very selfish hobby. I build my system for me and nobody else. Well, except maybe my wife, but for the most part her input relates not so much about how it sounds, but the visual impact it will have on the living room. Since I am now working with a shared space in the house I have to play nice in the sandbox to keep peace. But outside of that I choose equipment to please nobody but myself. Ans everybody else should do the same. That's why we all end up with different systems. If there was one "right" way, we would all own the same gear. So if there is no real difference between the two units how do you choose. I would move onto logistical issues, such as which is which is easier to use in terms of operation, does one take up less space and things of that nature. The internet radio unit may be somewhat easier to use in that you can just drop it in one place and leave it there, but the laptop I would think could get you access to a wider variety of sources. For example can you get to YouTube Videos via the Internet Radio and if so how easy is it to navigate then vs using the laptop. On the other hand in my house the laptop is in and out of the house on a regular basis, so using it with the stereo would involve constant hooking and unhooking of cables, a definite headache. Everything has its own set of pluses and minuse and you just have to pick the unit gives you the best combination of them for your situation.

As for the Pecan Pi streamer, It is a great little unit for the price. When Leo was first getting Orchid Audio off the ground he brought some of his gear oer to my house and did a presentation to our local audiophile club. HE did not have a streamer product at the time but mated one of his Apple Pi DAC boards to a Raspberry Pi computers forming a unit which is similar to the Pecan Pi streamer he is now selling That combination was very nice sounding indeed. And from all the reviews I have read, his pecan series is better sounding than the original Apple series, to I am sure the Pecan Pi streamer is a great performer.

The advantage of the Pecan Pi type streamer is that it is a fully functioning stand alone unit.You operate it via a tablet or a smartphone and it will function on its own without the need for an external computer. If you have music files stored on your computer it can read them, but it doesn't need the computer to operate other than that. And if you want you can connect storage devices directly to the Pecan Pi via its USB ports.

Thanks tmazz fot your long, complete, detailled write-up.
I love my Grace Mondo Internet radio, the same for the Cambridge sub 2.1 amplifier
with my little Sony 2 way bookself speaker.
What I like less is my ASUS laptop, he's getting old and slow, like me...  :lol:
In addition the Schiit Asgard that I want and will buy, will illiminate two units :
Fulla 2 and SYS and some interconnect.
Because I am not getting younger and so is my eyesight,
I want to buy a 21 or 24'' monitor and a more up to date tower computer.
Thanks again for taking the time to share your opinion and experience.
The very best for 2020 and of course, all the following years, wishing that there will be
a minimum of 50+  :thumb:

Guy 13

Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC