Author Topic: Who's done the DIY PC thing using the Furutech OCC cabling?  (Read 39420 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Who's done the DIY PC thing using the Furutech OCC cabling?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 07:27:31 AM »
Carl - I've no doubt broken some rules, so feel free to edit and delete as you see fit.
What rules?  Just no religion or politics.  Edit or delete?  I'm not 'that guy'.
I really enjoy listening to music.

mgalusha

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 09:47:54 AM »
Then git yer butt movin', since I'm going to be manning one of his room. :D

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 08:31:54 AM »
Hey Paul. Gonna make powercords eh. Good luck. Just price it right and don't get greedy. Since you buy the parts and only assemble that should be easy. Please NO MORE over $250 cords thankyou, You more than anyone should appreciate a FAIR price.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 01:34:36 PM »
Hey Paul. Gonna make powercords eh. Good luck. Just price it right and don't get greedy. Since you buy the parts and only assemble that should be easy. Please NO MORE over $250 cords thankyou, You more than anyone should appreciate a FAIR price.

charles

So what happens if he wants to make a cord that uses terminations that cost more then $250.00 all on there own? Oyaide, Acrolink, Furutech and a few others all offer terminations that cost more then $250.00.....and you still don't have a working power cord.

If your going to go down the "Fair Price" and "Greedy" path you need to look at the cost involved with all the components used and also the time, R&D etc versus just what the end price is.

shep

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 09:48:15 PM »
Can I chime in from a wet chilly New York? and be a smart-ass...I have some experience of the above. Ohno Continuous Casting Process....It exists in Silver as well. I have speaker wires made from this with a Teflon coating. It sounds fabulous and can be used very nicely and to good effect in internal wiring as well. For anyone interested in experimenting, I have a great address in Singapore; a small outfit who are totally reliable and their prices are very reasonable. I've ordered from them several times and just sent cash in an envelope since it made no sense to deal with paypal for such a small outlay. As you will see on their site, there are several guages to play with. http://www.ahfartaudio.com/ "AHFartaudio is a DIY audio shop in Singapore. We sell both finished and custom made audio components and also kit sets." They are nice guys and could use some business! It's off the reel, order the lenghts you need. One consideration is that in order to preserve the integrity copper's properties, you have to be carefull and not to bend or twist it more then is absolutely necissary and never to kink it. I would love it if someone would try making up a power cable with the heavier guage and give a report.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:51:53 PM by shep »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 05:12:13 AM »
Ah, fart... what a relief. ;)

shep

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »
 :duh I guess being a smart-ass...I had that coming. Still....trying to be a serious grown-up here...Their English isn't the best so I guess they can be excused? and me too! Hey it ain't just hot air kids.

pmkap

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 11:20:23 PM »
Rollo,

What can I say. No, I can't won't build commercial cords that retail for $250, because I distribute through retailers (a necessary step for one so lacking in people skills) and when all is said and done, it would be more fiscally responsible and more fun to work behind a deli counter. How big do you think the market is for $250 cords? I realize that may be your arbitrary sweet spot, but if I drop my non-introductory price from $479 to $249 by what factor do you think my sales would go up, assuming they are that 'tremendous value' (whatever that means and by whatever metrics) for $479, how much will my sales increase, if I drop it to your magical $250. I'd really like to know.

And if you think its easy to just wire up some pocc cordage and Furutech connectors, you're welcome to come over and take your choice between the 2 different Furutech POCC cordage versions, or HT 11ga POCC. Slap it together with some Furutech FI-ll connectors, and voila', genuine bespoke powercords. Your choice at 40% retail parts cost, a substantial discount from OEM pricing, as I can't do anything with it, because the result doesn't meet my standards. Indeed, I'm sure that there are folks on Agon who do exactly that, making minimal profits on a shoestring from a mediocre product. But I've listened to products from Black Sands, Kubala-Sonsa, Synergistic, etc... and I'm reasonably sure a tremendous amount of research, time, effort and money went in to their efforts. Because, if not, it just confirms that I'm a dumb fuk.

FWIW,
Paul

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 09:35:08 AM »
Received a pair of Paul's standard copper cords without the filtering on them.  I've been playing with them on my new system so it's hard to quantify at this point with that many variables and haven't had time to do serious listening on the known system in my 'man cave' downstairs. 

Initial impressions are very positive.  Definite improvement in the smoothness and detail in the mids.  Bass is simply slammin...  It's tight, deep, extended, powerful, yet still very nimble. 

More to follow...

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 11:54:21 AM »
Thanks Bryan, lookin forward to your take... I hadn't heard about the intro price!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2009, 09:28:40 AM »

charles

So what happens if he wants to make a cord that uses terminations that cost more then $250.00 all on there own? Oyaide, Acrolink, Furutech and a few others all offer terminations that cost more then $250.00.....and you still don't have a working power cord.

If your going to go down the "Fair Price" and "Greedy" path you need to look at the cost involved with all the components used and also the time, R&D etc versus just what the end price is.

Agreed if one has a brick and mortar facility, with overhead , salaries, advertising and the lot. R&D IMO is sweat equity. I was unaware that connectors cost over $250 wholesale. Greedy was the wrong word and I apologize for that. Selling direct will reduce the price 40% minimum.
   With all the forums out there and comments posted by satisfied customers why use a dealer ? At 40% less IMO one would sell more. The buzz generated by AC alone is worth its weight in gold. Tours as well, from one home to another is a blessing in disguise. There are many ways to skin a cat.
    Before I would spend two grand on two cords for my amps I would consider an amp with a better power supply first for that two grand. Yes, I own cords costing over $1200 retail. Just did not pay retail. They are affective but if i wasn't able to receive a trade accommodation I would not own them.
    Just a pet peeve with me. Nordst, Tara, Virtual Dynamics pricing just has gone too far. It taints the real deal companies like yours and now Paul's'. Nothing personal here or secret agendas just my opinion. Did not mean to offend anyones business.

charles

PS Feel like sending a demo ? 

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2009, 07:49:31 AM »
You might want to look into MAC.
My Audio Cables. (www.myaudiocables)
We run seriously discounted deals on Audiogon and the cables are . . .  well read the comments page on the MAC website.

I apologize for jumping in here - but I can't see spending $$$ on more than you need to.

Steve

I can verify Steves comments. He demoed his powercord at one of our meetings. darn impressive and the RIGHT price. Quality, dead quiet background, powerful bass and no highlighted top end.  Bang for the buck and ALL that good stuff. Give them a go.

rollo

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2009, 08:29:36 AM »
To this point...
Selling direct will reduce the price 40% minimum.
   With all the forums out there and comments posted by satisfied customers why use a dealer ? At 40% less IMO one would sell more. The buzz generated by AC alone is worth its weight in gold. Tours as well, from one home to another is a blessing in disguise.

It's difficult to get the perceived savings across to customers when buying direct.  I've never seen MAC, BlueJeans, BSC or other cables at my local hifi shop.  Nor does Monster or Kimber or others sell direct to consumers.  So, it's tough to find the 40% savings when there are apples at the store and oranges online. 

In many cases, you do get more for your money buying direct but not always.  I know I am getting more from BSC because I've compared a Kimber Power cord that cost $250 to a BSC that was about the same... and the BSC was significantly better.  Other than doing that comparison, or reading a review w/ that same comparison, I wouldn't know if there was a savings or higher value involved.

My only point is that it's not like you can expect to pay less than B&M but you can expect to get more for your money.  (kind of saying the same thing, I know... but it's interesting to think about. ;) )

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »
The saver is a money back guarantee. Thirty days. All I can attest to is that MAC cables are the real deal for a reasonable price. Our club is a tough crowd.  We have seen and heard many cables. I use Omega micro active speaker cables and powercords, Harmonix Golden Ratio ICs from CDP to Pre and Tara Decade from Pre to Amps.. Mucho dolares amigos. Steves cables were equal or better for a LOT less money. Wish I knew before I bought the others. Dang !
   Sorry if I went off topic however related. Every once in a while a no name product excels this is one of those times. The big boys are going to hate him.

rollo

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2009, 08:50:13 AM »
I will be offering Furutech kits for power, IC and speaker cable. Kits can be configured with any part desired from the line. Pricing to be determined and will be very reasonable. We are just starting this so be patient. Thanks

charles