Author Topic: Equitech 1.5Q Balanced Power Transformer  (Read 24046 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Equitech 1.5Q Balanced Power Transformer
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:33:31 AM »

http://www.equitech.com/products/rack/modelqav.html

I have been borrowing Carlman's Equitech 1.5Q power conditioner for the last 3 months. Thanks for the loan Carl - better call the cops, you're not getting it back.

When I first got it, I was doing Carl a favor, humoring his enthusiasm, thinking to myself, "it's a powerstrip dude.." I read the literature when I got home, "OK, maybe it's more than a powerstrip." I figure I'll listen to the thing while he's not using it, store it until he needs it back, maybe catch a lightning bolt, whatever, hohum, yawn....   ;) Anybody who knows me knows that I am never bored with new audio toys even if they are very minor change.

The thing is heavy as a mutha (80 pounds!) and not small.  It contains a gigantic toroidal transformer made of super high qualty steel core and oxygen free copper windings. It is wired to intake 120V single ended AC, and spit out balanced +/- 60VAC through all of the dozen or so outlets on the rear.  In doing so, the quality of power is supposedly markedly improved in many ways. Much more detail on how it works is eloquently described in the white pages and articles on the Equitech website, here: http://www.equitech.com/articles/articles.html

I kind of understand how it works, the description makes sense, more than I can argue against anyway. Technically oriented audiophiles whom I admire like JoshK, Occam, Bruce Rosenblitz, and Carlman, use balanced power which are valuable endorsements for me. A thread on Frank Van Alstine's Audio Circle evaluates the concerns against using balanced power in gear intended for single ended power. Pro's and cons are well covered there. Included here for completeness.

As a non technical consumer I look to the claims and reviews to try to analyze the value prior to purchase. Uh-oh. Lots of claims, lots of promises, lots of happy customer comments. My impressionable gullibility is about to be tempted yet again. But at least this time, I have it in my house, listening to it everyday for 3 months. I can hear it for myself.

When I first got it, I just stuck it behind the rig and plugged everything in. At the same time I was swapping tubes in the minimax and moving the room around, deciding on new speakers, etc. So lots was in play and changing all the time. I heard a noticeable improvement, but did not consciously attribute it only to the Q, although I did note that it did improve when it was installed, but not sure the precentage due to Q or new tubes, or whatever else.

Not til last night did I take the time to directly compare the Q to the not-Q (straight into the wall.) I listen a lot, so if I don't make a change for a day or so I get pretty accustomed to the sound. I had just finished listening to Prokofiev Cello / Piano sonatas. A great recording, lots of space, tone, bass, delicacy, intimacy, power, a good audition suite. I simply listened to it with the Q, then unplugged the Snapper amps and plugged them into the shared 15A circuits, on separate but shared outlets on the same circuit. 

I remember that the dedicated 20A outlet that I used to use did make the Snappers sound a lot better than putting them together on a single shared 15A outlet, but that 20A outlet is on the side of the room now that I have twisted the room 90 degrees for the improved acoustics. The Q is plugged into the same shared 15A circuit as used by the amps in this comparison, and the preamp is always plugged into the Q with a stock vinyl PC. A Black Sands Silver Ref5 goes to each amp. Source is battery powered DAC. Signal wires are Grover IC and JPS SC.

I will try to compare the Q to the dedicated 20A outlet soon. I'll have to put the amps on the floor, but I think the cables can reach with some fiddling. But I only have one dedicated outlet, so preamp still have to be plugged into the shared 15A circuit whose ground means the dedicated circuits ground only at the service panel 60 feet away. Not sure how vauable that test will be. Maybe just leave the preamp in the Q as done in this comparison.

OK so how does it sound? These are the notes I wrote when I first switched from powering the Snappers through the Q to plugging them directly into the wall outlets:
"Immediate sense of dullness. Clouded, less dynamic. Tone of violin and upper cello metallic ringing. Bass is smaller and looser. Piano transients are aggressive and harsh. Music is confusing, tense, cluttered. How many musicians are there in this trio? It feels like people coming and going. Muffled, tone thin. Background noise (hiss) without music is audible for first time in months (since before Q.) Noticeable during music as missing the black background that makes colors clearer and brighter. But the noise is subtle compared to the music distortion which is blatant and obvious. Piano sounds like bells, imagine a toy Fender Rhodes on the attack. Sustained tones are thinner."

I left it that way for a while to get my brain somewhat adjusted to it. It was difficult because the sound was so harsh and confusing, dull.

Putting it back in I noted:
"Clarity, bass impact, low noise, tonal perfection, piano delicacy, harshness gone. Dynamics greater, but more subtle. Relaxing, intimate, presence of the performers is felt - "they're back...." Instrumentalists are people, not just sounds and notes. Harmonic inner detail is intensely clear. The difference is obvious. I can't wait to try this on other people's systems to see their reactions!"

It's hard to believe that I have been listening to music without Q for so long, I never knew how much power quality could affect the musical performance. I don't know if it is just clean purified power, or if +/- 60V works better in the amp than SE 120V, I guess it doesn't matter. Prior to Q, my BSC power cables and dedicated line made a nice difference when compared to the "not," but nowhere even close to this. Other power filters and even tripplite super strip I have tried ruined the sound of the tube amps I use. Q makes them sound much better!  This difference is so obvious in listening, I'm sure it must be evident in THD analysis of an amplifier. Maybe we can do that sometime. Some amps may have more or less benefit from it.

The Q doesn't seem to care what kind of power it gets, or through what wire it is fed. Replacing a BSC Statement One with plastic computer cord on the power input side of the Q made no obvious difference to my ears in casual listening. The advantage of plugging it into any outlet of any quality and rebuilding the power from scratch to power the whole system with a closeby floating ground, cancelling comon mode noise in the power line is very cool. Something important is going on inside that big heavy black box. I love it!  Thanks for the tip Carl!

Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Equitech 1.5Q Balanced Power Transformer
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »
Cool!  Glad you got a chance to listen sans-Q.  I knew you'd hear a big difference when you finally got around to doing it.  I was pretty amazed at the improvement as well... My biggest surprise is its ability to handle (and improve) amplifiers... That's not something any other conditioner has been able to do (to the degree the Equi=tech does it)

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. :)

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:58:08 AM »
$3,400 for the 1.5Q, IMO, is not small change.  :o

Will be interesting to read comments regarding the perceived difference in running this kit on the dedicated 20A line.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline SteveB

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 08:19:28 PM »
Since Rich has raved over the balanced power unit he has auditioned from Equitech I have been doing a little research about balanced power theory. Also read his post about his Transcendent preamp kit and found a very reasonably priced balanced power supply kit from the same folks.
here is the unit:  http://www.transcendentsound.com/power_supply.htm
The Transcendent
Balanced Power Supply
1000VA
$519- Kit
$649- Assembled

Anyone out there tried one of these?

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 11:56:27 PM »
Since Rich has raved over the balanced power unit he has auditioned from Equitech I have been doing a little research about balanced power theory. Also read his post about his Transcendent preamp kit and found a very reasonably priced balanced power supply kit from the same folks.
here is the unit:  http://www.transcendentsound.com/power_supply.htm
The Transcendent
Balanced Power Supply
1000VA
$519- Kit
$649- Assembled

Anyone out there tried one of these?

I'm not sure how this can actually be a balanced power supply as Equi=Tech holds the North American patent for balanced power and last time I checked, it wasn't licensed for use by anybody else. Even BPT (Balanced Power Technologies) had to get into bed with them as they were promoting a balanced unit that wasn't really balanced power. In order for them to have a true balanced unit, they had to get Equi=Tech to build it for them.

www.b-p-t.com

Now without reading through the specs I cant be positive of what this thing actually does but one of the things you must have in this application is a big transformer and I don't see it in the Transcendent. The Transcendent weighs in at 22lbs and the comparable Equi=Tech comes in at 80lbs. I also don't get why it has only one outlet and ships with a power strip? That makes no sense to me. The claim that it helps keep the cost down doesn't make any sense as the cost of outlets and wiring would be minimal to the final cost of this unit. I read the entire description a few times and came away each time with more questions then answers....and when that happens, I normally lose interest in whatever it is I'm reading.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 05:03:53 AM »
I asked Transcendent about that unit, he said it is not powerful enough to run both Beast monoblocks, "nor is it needed."   :?  A power strip plugged into the one outlet would give balanced power the same as 5 duplexes mounted on the back. Obviously current is limited, but some benefits will shine through for low power devices, depending how it is wired.

Balanced power has been used in medical applications for many years. Balanced transformers are available outside Equitech, as raw trannies and in finished goods.
http://www.toroid.com/standard_transformers/balanced_transformers/balanced_transformers.htm
http://www.furmansound.com/pdf/datasheets/IT-1210_IT-1220_IT-1230_datasheet.pdf

They hold US Patent 6060876, "Symmetrical power system"
Rich

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:49:23 AM »
Equi=Tech actually holds a few more patents then what are listed on the main page of the Equi=Tech site. Not all are listed for obvious reasons. However the one you listed is interesting especially when you read through it and then look at what Transcendent is claiming to do.

I'm also aware of the early "variations" of balanced power. The links you posted are interesting only because I know where both companies in question get their transformers from!  ;)

Either way, I don't really care what Transcendent does as they don't offer anything I would be interested in. The power supply based solely on the fact that it limits current and requires a power strip is something I would personally never use and would advise anybody I know, to stay clear of it.

Anyway, I simply posted as on the surface, this look like a cheap knock off of the real thing. Maybe it's not, but.....I have my doubts.

I will forward this along to Equi=Tech and let them look into it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:53:02 AM by Black Sand Cable »

pmkap

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 06:59:55 AM »
Regarding the Glasband's (Equitech) patents on technical (balanced) power, its hardly a patent on balanced power. Bell Labs used balanced power far before it was a gleam in Glasband's eye. Its enforceable feature is the use of a bi-filar winding on the secondary side to optimize balance and hence efficacy regarding minimization of net reactive leakage currents. Other patent features, Y caps in front of differential chokes are not (to my knowledge) actually used in Equitech's offerings. This in no way is a negative comment on the actual benefits of Equitech products.

As far as I can discern, the Transcendant offering does not violate any of Glasband's patents. It uses a bog standard Avel toroid that lacks a bi-filar secondary winding. Heck, it doesn't even have a grounded shield between primary and secondary (not patentable feature) to shunt the massive capacitive primary to secondary coupling. Then again, its not a particularly good conditioner, IMO (and measurements).

FWIW,
Paul aka Occam

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 09:44:24 AM »
Thanks Paul, good to know. Bruce is acutely aware of intellectual property issues related to his own patents and designs, so I would be surprised if he was insensitive to another's patent.

I listened to SteveB's Sim W3 last night comparing gear plugged into dedicated 20A outlet vs 1.5Q inserted. The same kind of improvements I mentioned above were noticed again, especially the cleaning up the soundstage and removing the feeling of confusion and chaos. Music settled down and became coherent and peaceful, allowing much deeper listening. The amp is already very quiet so noise reduction was not as noticable as with the tube amps. Based on this simple test I beleive that the Q makes a very noticable and worthwhile improvement even over a dedicated outlet alone.
Rich

pmkap

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 01:41:39 PM »
Hi Rich,

While I'm a great believer in (a single) dedicated line to drive your whole system, a series mode filter (like the Equitech balancing conditioners) is needed for noise attenuation above 6db/octave. Dedicated lines are, at best, impedance (somewhat frequency dependant) voltage divider networks.
What frustrates the heck outta me is that regardless of the conditioner(s)/lines, powercords still IMO make a substantial subjective difference. It really pisses mo off.  :?  I put my conditioners on my spectrum analyzer and can largely match the performace with my mathematical models. Its very comforting for a dweeb like me. Powercords, fuggedaboutid. I've got some theories/hypotheses as to why a given powercord may work the way it does, but unfortunately, when someone posts such questionable theories, I myself tend to bite their heads off for positing such tenuous logic. Inevitably. some clever wag will also compare bespoke powercords to a $1,000 wooden knob, implicitly with some stunning tautological back flippery. :x  It leaves me with a strong, unfulfilled desire to poke them in the eye.

Regards,
Paul

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 04:09:05 PM »
I've got some theories/hypotheses as to why a given powercord may work the way it does, but unfortunately, when someone posts such questionable theories, I myself tend to bite their heads off for positing such tenuous logic.

Like this?   http://www.shunyata.com/Content/FAQ-Tech.html   haha

Just to put shunyata's theories in perspective: a good friend, an anonymous audiophile here in Raleigh has Shunyata Hydra, it ruins his tube amps' sound. Bought without hearing it first. The equitech has excellent synergy with tube amps, it is definitely NOT a filter which inevitably do ruin the thermionic glory.

Inevitably some clever wag will also compare bespoke powercords to a $1,000 wooden knob, implicitly with some stunning tautological back flippery. :x  It leaves me with a strong, unfulfilled desire to poke them in the eye.

I enjoy reading your virtual eye pokings on AC, as long as I'm not the recipient. ;) Keep it up!!
Rich

Offline SteveB

• Seeking Help
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »
For those of us who are interested in assembling our own balanced power units : read "DIY AC Balanced Power " by Jon M. Risch  http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/catch2.htm.

May be dated as I have not researched the links mentioned therein.  It may be possible to assemble a 15 amp unit for around $600 to $800 ballpark but this is just a guess.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »
That article is roughly 10 years old but is still relatively accurate by today's standards.

The only thing that wont be will of course be some of the part costs.