Author Topic: Beefing Up An Old Speaker Cabinet  (Read 201 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Beefing Up An Old Speaker Cabinet
« on: May 10, 2021, 07:06:31 PM »
Iím helping a friend refurbish a 40 year old pair of SEAS speakers. I had SG Custom Sound rebuild the crossovers, and consulted with Madisound about replacement drivers which are on the way.
The cabinets themselves seem a little Ďringyí to me. Since the crossovers are finished, and the drivers are specíd for the original cabinet dimensions (itís a 2 cabinet design, a little like a WATT/Puppy), what options are available to deaden the box? I would imagine much internal bracing would alter the volume- is this much of a concern? The woofer cabinet is ~ 59 liters.
Would a Dynamat product be a solution? Or am I overthinking this? Would a few crossbars inside make much of a difference to the box volume to affect much of anything?
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. My friend is a carpenter and craftsman, so most ideas could probably be implemented without much trouble.
Thanks as always.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Hsu ULS-15 Mk2

Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
Re: Beefing Up An Old Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:24:17 PM »
Might want to ask Danny at GR Research.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Nuprime CDT-8
Supratek Chardonnay
Kinki Studio EX-M7
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's, USB, SC
Audio Envy IC's, PC's
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline S Clark

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:31:23 PM »
Crossbars would have a negligible effect of the volume and are usually a good idea ( I like dowel rods).  For damping side walls, the No Rez that Danny sells is a good product. It also has little effect on internal volume, since it is mostly a very dense open cell foam.  It does need a clean surface to stick. 
ďIn the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends.Ē Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 08:34:36 AM »
Crossbars would have a negligible effect of the volume and are usually a good idea ( I like dowel rods).  For damping side walls, the No Rez that Danny sells is a good product. It also has little effect on internal volume, since it is mostly a very dense open cell foam.  It does need a clean surface to stick.

Sound advice. Agree 100%.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Mad Scientist, Swiss Cables

Offline James Edward

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »
Just a follow-up… I’ve settled on this- it will serve to beef up the box a bit and also eliminate the need for the fiberglass insulation, resulting in a neater project.
https://www.parts-express.com/Sonic-Barrier-1-1-4-3-Layer-Damping-Material-w-PSA-18-x-24-260-535
My friend still wants to refinish the cabinets, but the crossovers are rebuilt, and the speaker drivers are in. I’ll post some pics when these babies are singing. I should say I’ll TRY and post some pics!
Rebuilt crossovers done by Scott at SG Custom Sound Douglaston, NY
Drivers from Madisound- Brian was VERY helpful in getting drivers that fit and corresponded to the original T/S parameters.
I guess the proof will be in the pudding when these are finally together.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Hsu ULS-15 Mk2

Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 02:32:03 PM »
Just a follow-upÖ Iíve settled on this- it will serve to beef up the box a bit and also eliminate the need for the fiberglass insulation, resulting in a neater project.
https://www.parts-express.com/Sonic-Barrier-1-1-4-3-Layer-Damping-Material-w-PSA-18-x-24-260-535
My friend still wants to refinish the cabinets, but the crossovers are rebuilt, and the speaker drivers are in. Iíll post some pics when these babies are singing. I should say Iíll TRY and post some pics!
Drivers from Madisound- Brian was VERY helpful in getting drivers that fit and corresponded to the original T/S parameters.

Yes, pls keep us posted. As to posting pics, I feel your painÖ Iím able to post online pics, but none from my iPhoto libraryÖ.  not yet at least  :lol:  the old heic, jpg, jpeg problem
Van Alstine SET 120 Control Amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
Fritz Carrera 7 BE speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Auralic Aries Mini & Mojo Audio lps
Audio Envy cables
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 08:14:52 AM »
Just a follow-upÖ Iíve settled on this- it will serve to beef up the box a bit and also eliminate the need for the fiberglass insulation, resulting in a neater project.
My friend still wants to refinish the cabinets, but the crossovers are rebuilt, and the speaker drivers are in. Iíll post some pics when these babies are singing. I should say Iíll TRY and post some pics!

Decent choice however No-Rez is King in that department. I would install wood dowels forced into place to stiffen cabinet. Have fun.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Mad Scientist, Swiss Cables