Author Topic: Golf trip to Myrtle - need restaurant recommendations  (Read 20107 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Golf trip to Myrtle - need restaurant recommendations
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »
Hey guys, a small group of us (6) are heading down from NY to Myrtle the first week of May to play some golf. I need some decent restaurant recommendations for central Myrtle. We are staying at Myrtlewoods.

I guess the usual stuff
- steak
- American
- Seafood/Steak
- BBQ

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:02:58 AM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Golf trip to Myrtle - need restaurant recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:44:09 AM »
I recognize Myrtle is a state away, but thought, being closer than I am, you might have some experience there.

We are playing the Myrtlewood courses (of course, since we are staying there) to start on Thursday:
- Palmetto
- Pine Hills

Then  Friday we play
- Grand Dunes

Then finish up on Saturday with
- Man O'War
- Mooreland

Last year we played:
- The Wizard
- MB National (West)
- MB National (Kings North)
- The Witch

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:35:23 AM »
Only been to Myrtle a couple times, I can't remember the restaurants, nothing special.  We beach in NC just across the border from SC, but we just go to the local sandwich deli, pizza, ice cream joints and Bonefish Grill in N. Myrtle.

That Salada golf! You will be sore but satisfied when you get home!  Are you driving or flying?

My son is trying out for HS golf team this week. He is in a 4-way tie for the last 2 spots, and the final shootout is this afternoon.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:08 AM »
Good luck to him! If he makes the team he will be getting some great coaching and will no doubt get much better. You are lucky to have weather allowing you to play already.

We are flying (Wed to Sun), driving takes too much effort and detracts from our drinking time.  :beer:

We did one day of 36 holes last year and it was a great day. Going for 2 days of 36 this year with a day of 18 in between (but it is a harder course). Some of us might just try and get in 18 on Wed afternoon when we arrive (we will see).

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:51:50 AM »
Sounds great Bob, you will have a great time. Weather will be 85ish.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:01:01 AM »
Good luck to him! If he makes the team he will be getting some great coaching and will no doubt get much better. You are lucky to have weather allowing you to play already.

We are flying (Wed to Sun), driving takes too much effort and detracts from our drinking time.  :beer:

We did one day of 36 holes last year and it was a great day. Going for 2 days of 36 this year with a day of 18 in between (but it is a harder course). Some of us might just try and get in 18 on Wed afternoon when we arrive (we will see).

After traveling and being excited about playing the first day is time to chill, hit some balls, putt, chip and refresh your game.
    After a good nights sleep and being relaxed golf is just more enjoyable.
    Have fun.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 09:07:34 AM »

After traveling and being excited about playing the first day is time to chill, hit some balls, putt, chip and refresh your game.    

Uhh, I'm assuming what you really meant to say is "have a few beers and a nice steak dinner and catch up with the friends you haven't seen in a while, stay up too late telling old stories, wake up with a mild hangover and play those first couple of holes chugging water before we start drinking beer again".

Yeah, that's much more likely to happen.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:08 AM »
   Bob check out Diners and Dives rest. in myrtle Beach Listed several great places to eat.
    There is VG German rest and lots of fish joints.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 12:41:58 PM »
Bob the McRib is back at McDonald's.

Limited time don't miss it.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Because I am The Pumpkinking

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 05:24:33 AM »
I think the trip next spring is going to focus on south Myrtle, like Pawley's Island.

Last year we had a great time at 2 places:
- Texas Roadhouse (exactly what you would expect in any of them)
- Chuck's Steakhouse (lots of deer heads on the wall, huge margarita's and great steaks)

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 07:20:54 AM »
My family used to have a place in Cherry Grove (N. Myrtle). Back then, Cherry Grove was 10 miles from anything called Myrtle Beach and it was a quiet, kinda dull beach with 2 piers and an inlet for spear fishing (mostly flounder) and crabs.

We discovered a place called 'Jack's Seafood' and it was an adventure just finding it. Tucked about a mile down a sandy road, the restaurant was built over the river on a dock full of smelly fishing and shrimp boats - I can still recall the odor. The place itself wouldn't remotely get past today's food inspector and the last time we ventured to the place, it had a hand-written sign stating 'Closed due to sickness'... not very comforting but I wasn't shocked either.

As a kid, I had walked past the 'Jack's' sign at the fish monger's shop (another smell that never leaves my memory) many times on my way to the pier and I finally convinced my folks to give it a try. All-You-Can-Eat for $4.99 had that effect on my mom and while the place gave everyone else the creeps, it became a must-stop for my mom and I (much to the others' chagrin). Like many A-Y-C-E deals in the area back then, you paid as you walked in the door and sat down at large picnic tables and benches with whomever could fit. There was no menu but a chalkboard by the door listed all the seafood choices and sides. Back then, oysters were only available in season (months containing an 'R') so we mostly avoided the place during the summer. There was the usual - shrimp, oysters, scallops, clams, crabs (deviled and steamed), fried chicken, pork ribs and a half dozen vegetable choices - all over-cooked, limp and slimy but I didn't care as I never touched the stuff. It also offered 2 or 3 fish choices which changed with the day's catch although they always seemed to have perch on the board. Of course, the waitress brought out hushpuppies, a large bowl of slaw and offered water, coffee or sweet tea (criminally SWEET!). Coke was $1 extra so I doubt they sold many.

On the table, with the tub o' butter, malted vinegar, BBQ and tabasco sauce, ketchup and the Red and White squeeze bottles of cocktail and tartar sauce was a selection of relish, horseradish and mayo. This was great because I hated most of the generic sauces and add some lemons and worchester sauce and I could make my own versions of cocktail and tartar.

So everyone at the table (family and strangers alike) ordered from the list and a few minutes later, the food arrived 'family style'. If 2 folks ordered the same thing, the item was in a large salad bowl or plate (I never saw anything resembling a salad), 3 or more orders came in an extra large cake pan and if anyone ordered steamed crabs, they just dumped a potful on the table (already covered in kraft paper). It was more seafood than I had ever seen before.. and the pile of oysters..Oh my!

As we made our way through our gluttony, the server came back to refill our drinks and take more orders. Unlike most A-Y-C-E places, you got the same amount on the next order (and the 3rd, 4th, etc...). They just kept loading up the table with food until you cried 'UNCLE' and seemed to enjoy the fact that everyone always overstuffed themselves. I guess since they pulled the food out of the water, they had a fairly low cost to factor in as long as folks showed up and in all the years I subsequently visited, I never noticed a thing that they changed about the place - even those red plastic tumblers looked like they had been around since the 50's.

Anyway, I'm sure the place has long since burned down or has been turned over to developers but I just wanted to share an old memory and suggest that with a little effort, perhaps you can still have a true 'Calabash' style experience.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:25:32 AM by JBryan »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 08:06:17 AM »
   Nice story thanks. Ya made me want some Southern fare but in NY good luck.
   Off to the store for crabs and chicken. Get out the buttermilk, Old Bay seasoning oh my !

charles

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »
Very nice JBryan!

My family beaches in that same area. It's commercialized now, like everywhere, but the beaches are still beautiful!