Author Topic: PS Audio Trade In  (Read 5327 times)

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: PS Audio Trade In
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 11:45:36 AM »
Thanks, Hal. Quite interesting. I’ve never owned and PS products, although I used to watch Paul’s videos.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 12:18:33 PM »
You're welcome, Nick.

I don't own any of their gear or have any affiliation with them. There's a fellow in the Audio Syndrome audio club (well, now defunct audio club) who has one of their power stations. I'm reading good reviews about their phono preamp. Also, like you, I do watch on occasion Paul McGowan videos, who I often - but not always - agree with when he opines.

PS audio did a spectacular (my opinion) video of their new FR30 speakers. I never saw or heard them but their marketing (I guess that's what it would be called) video of it is pretty amazing.

Best.

Hal
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 08:23:47 PM »
You're welcome, Nick.

I don't own any of their gear or have any affiliation with them. There's a fellow in the Audio Syndrome audio club (well, now defunct audio club) who has one of their power stations. I'm reading good reviews about their phono preamp. Also, like you, I do watch on occasion Paul McGowan videos, who I often - but not always - agree with when he opines.

PS audio did a spectacular (my opinion) video of their new FR30 speakers. I never saw or heard them but their marketing (I guess that's what it would be called) video of it is pretty amazing.

Best.

Hal
The PS Audio FR30 ($30,000.00) loudspeakers pale in comparison to GR Research NXtremes + their open baffle subs at easily a third of the price.  Granted, the GR speakers are DIY, but flat packs are available that anyone with a knife, fork and some glue could assemble.  Even their NXotica + subs (~ $5500.00) will kick those $30K speakers ass.  FR flat from 18Hz to 24K +/- 1.5dB and low frequency response that is absolutely coloration free and pant leg shaking that does not overload a room.

Stunning.  Absolutely stunning. 

Oh, yeah.  I forgot.  8WPC is more than enough, but 20 will kill you.  Folsom's 7293 amplifier is a match made in Heaven.  My personal favorite is single ended 300B amps.  Nuthin' but music and kick ass lows!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6m2jJRcq3A

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 08:50:11 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 12:41:30 AM »
You're welcome, Nick.

Best.

Hal
The PS Audio FR30 ($30,000.00) loudspeakers pale in comparison to GR Research NXtremes + their open baffle subs at easily a third of the price.  Granted, the GR speakers are DIY, but flat packs are available that anyone with a knife, fork and some glue could assemble.  Even their NXotica + subs (~ $5500.00) will kick those $30K speakers ass.  FR flat from 18Hz to 24K +/- 1.5dB and low frequency response that is absolutely coloration free and pant leg shaking that does not overload a room.

Stunning.  Absolutely stunning. 

Oh, yeah.  I forgot.  8WPC is more than enough, but 20 will kill you.  Folsom's 7293 amplifier is a match made in Heaven.  My personal favorite is single ended 300B amps.  Nuthin' but music and kick ass lows!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6m2jJRcq3A

I’m liking Jay’s videos more. He did a great interview with the head and designer of Allnic. A great look into a brilliant designer. This video with Danny is also excellent. I had no idea Danny ran such a big operation. I sure would like to hear his speakers one of these days. As to that Folsom amp, I think the boards were no longer available when I wanted one. Oh well…..
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 12:47:55 AM »
You're welcome, Nick.

Best.

Hal

Hal,
I think their marketing is great. I’ve heard great things about their line filtration devices, but I have an UberBUSS for a lot less money. I can’t recall ever hearing any PS Audio products at shows or at guys homes.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline spinblackcircle

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 05:55:08 AM »
The Music Room is working with PS Audio to resell the trade-in equipment.  Considering they are in such close proximity, I think this is a great partnership and benefits both companies.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 09:34:35 AM »
Check the reliability of the PS Audio gear. 

I had three PS Audio Power Plant systems, the P300 and two PPP.  All died after about 5 years and even after the $500 repair cost, one PPP did not come back to life after it came back. :(

Also had one of the Class D amps that died with a complex passive XO in a pair of VMPS Super Tower speakers.  You could head the ferrofluid boiling in the tweeters before it passed and I could pull the power cable.  The speakers survived.