Author Topic: The best of the worst albums? (Top40's of history)  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
The best of the worst albums? (Top40's of history)
« on: November 20, 2019, 09:02:58 PM »
This is a question to all of you. What are the best classic rock albums that were really popular? I mean, let's be honest a lot of it wasn't that great. I'd like to avoid discussion nostalgia. These are things you'd find in the budget area of a record store.

I personally think "Nightmoves" is a very good album despite being overly popular, Top40 (but can't say any other of Bob's albums qualify). Also I'm down for Simon & Garfunkle. Some examples of terrible stuff that I don't think lasts the test of time, Three Dog Night, Bread, Doobie Brothers, etc.....

My intention is to be extremely scrutinous with this search. Another album I can do is Rumors, but I have yet to gain any real appreciation for anything else they did.

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 11:16:28 PM »
Hi all.
I am not sure if I can share anything or very little about this topic.
I will let others post and then see how it goes,
if I see that I can post something in focus with the subject, I will post.
Thanks Folsom, good idea for that topic.

Guy 13
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: The best of the worst albums? (Top40's of history)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 06:22:20 AM »
Best of the best selling albums... hmmm.   
What about Sychronicity by the Police?  Rumours by Fleetwood Mac,  Darks Side of the Moon, Abbey Road, Crpsby. Stills, and Nash, American Pie by Don McClean, Movin' by Peter, Paul, and Mary,  Led Zeppelin I and II,  American Woman by the Guess Who,  Who's Next, Karlos Kleiber's Beethoven ..... there are sooooo many. 

I think it would be easier to list the worst of the best sellers... anything by Elvis, Thriller?
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 06:32:16 AM »
What about Sychronicity by the Police?  Rumours by Fleetwood Mac,  Darks Side of the Moon, Abbey Road, Crpsby. Stills, and Nash, American Pie by Don McClean, Movin' by Peter, Paul, and Mary,  Led Zeppelin I and II,  American Woman by the Guess Who,  Who's Next, Karlos Kleiber's Beethoven ..... there are sooooo many. 

I think it would be easier to list the worst of the best sellers... anything by Elvis, Thriller?

S Clark,
just want to say thet I like Elvis Presley and Mickeal Jackson music and singing.
Not much of a contribution here on this topic, but that's what I think and I share it.

Guy 13

Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 07:03:37 AM »

S Clark,
just want to say thet I like Elvis Presley and Mickeal Jackson music and singing.
Not much of a contribution here on this topic, but that's what I think and I share it.

Guy 13
Obviously lots of people did.  That's why they were best sellers.  I just don't agree with them.
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Folsom

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 06:38:42 PM »

I'm curious about Movin', as PPM have good moments but they usually ruin their own songs by doing stupid things. "In Concert" was almost good.

I'm waiting to stumble upon a Led Zepplin II that isn't trash, and is an RL. Led Zepplin I's good pressing isn't too easy to get. I' not sure I really think I'd play either a lot.

The big question is which ones do you regularly like to play?

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 07:05:07 PM »
A friend has the 180g and the later 200g remasters of Zeppelin I, and I've got my original pressing from the first week it was released.   The 180g was by far the best.  As far as which get played regularly, honestly, none of them.  My taste at 67 years is not the same as when I was 18.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:08:00 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Folsom

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 01:34:52 AM »
I can understand that. But I see lots of guys your age picking up old music. Almost all of it I exclusively wouldn't listen to.

My tastes change a fair bit, but there's always a few I like to come back to. At the very least I figure there has to be some gems in the sea.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 10:30:45 AM »
The WHO Tommy, Chicago Chicago, Beatles mostly all, Cream Cream, I forgot most of them. Gave up Rock years ago. Turned to straight ahead Jazz and Classical.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 11:23:08 AM »
If you don't go back to it ever I don't think it really matters.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 03:38:02 PM »
Like Charles, I've mostly replaced Rock with jazz.  I've always been a classical listener.  There are a few Rock/Pop lps that still get some play.  Paul Simon's Graceland gets played a couple of times a year.  CS&N maybe once a year.  "Tea for the Tillerman" maybe once, Stevie Wonder "InnerVisions" maybe once... They are all great lp's. but now days it's Dexter Gorden and Horace Silver that are more commonly spinning on the platter. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline dBe

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 11:29:34 PM »
I still listen to 90% of the music I was into when I was 18.  I grew up in a family of jazz musicians and grew up listening to everything from Sandy Nelson(Drums are my Beat) to Brubeck, Nat King Cole , Stephan Grapelli, Billie Holiday, CSNY, Poco, Stones, Fireballs. I am from Clovis, so there ya go...  Norman Petty was a friend of the family.  I met Buddy Holly, Shep Wooley, Marty Robbins... a lot of the old guard and just thought of them as everyday people. I’ve always loved GOOD music.  I don’t care what it is.  Iggy Pop?  Not so much.  Cannibal and the Headhunters... uh, no.

I’ve “been into” music all of my life.  I have a Cal Tjader Trio with Ron Crotty on bass Fantasy recording from the late 50’s that is some of the best small jazz music I’ve ever heard.  Oh, yeah: Dave Brubeck on keyboards.

I love Joe Bonamassa...  Coldplay, Little River Band, Patty Larkin, Walter Trout, Brad Paisley, Garth, Lorena McKennit, Clapton, Fourplay, Clannad............ad infinitum..........

Good music just IS.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 11:31:15 PM by dBe »