Author Topic: An online petition to improve the sound quality of recorded music  (Read 2967 times)

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Checking out Stereophile, I came across this petition. Worthwhile, I think.

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-loudness-wars-and-release-high-definition-music-downloads
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline sleepyguy24

Re: An online petition to improve the sound quality of recorded music
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
I filled out the petition and then got a follow up e-mail from Michael Green today.

Check this out.

"Hi everyone,

I need some input, opinion and advice - Please participate!

After getting burned alive in the Sound on Sound forum:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1019661&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#1019661

I've created a poll on the Facebook page, that asks the question:

Should the words "and release High Definition Music Downloads" be dropped from the petition to gain support of industry professionals? As they say its misleading and 24 bit offers no benefit over 16 Bit done correctly.

At the same time, they say its offers a lower noise floor, which I believe is the benefit I'm hearing.

I'm in two minds, on one hand we need as much support as possible and if it undermines the petition from professionals within the industry, then it should be dropped. On the other hand, I think that our standpoints are different. They are coming from a technical standpoint, and I'm coming from an audiophile standpoint, where any benefit, no matter how small is worth pursuing.

Let me know, what you think.

Thanks

Mike"

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:20:21 PM »
Another update regarding this petition. I found after filling up the petition I'm getting periodic e-mails asking me to fill out more petitions for different causes. I was not expecting this. The topics have varied from kids with health causes to gun control. I have not seen an increase in junk e-mail though. Again be wary and don't get caught like I did.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:04:48 PM »
If they are legit email solicitations, they they will have an opt out link at the bottom. If you click those and unsubscribe, you can control your spam, as most of it is legit marketing, most people follow the law. It takes a little while, but it helps control most of it. 

Also, set your email client to not download remote content automatically. Then you can read and delete junk emails without spammers knowing you read their email, which is a verification of the email address which brings more spam.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:38:50 AM »
Not sure if this 'petition' is still going... but I doubt it's being used for more than a sales lead generator... or something marketing related.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 07:40:53 AM »
These petitions seems to be written to no one in particular, I am not sure how they expect this to change anything. If you speak to, or read any interviews with sound engineers, they will quickly speak up against the loudness wars, pretty much saying everything you want them to. But then they will go on the explain that they work for the artist, and the compression they add is at the request of the the artist, their employer. So basically the hands are tied and there is not much they can do when their clients are telling them to do it or else they will pull the project from them.
-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers/Seismic Isolation Podiums
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 52TB NAS
Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC/Pi4 Ropieee
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balance

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:47:35 AM »
Quite right JBNY, and the radio stations have their own loudness wars and will compress it as necessary even if the CD is relatively uncompressed.