Author Topic: Has anyone had the opportunity....  (Read 17862 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Has anyone had the opportunity....
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 06:05:53 AM »
Where did Art Dudley come from? I missed that part.
Scotty

Reply #6
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 07:53:33 AM »
My eyes must have glazed over :duh, he was referred to clear back in reply No.3 and I missed all of the references to his name.
Thanks.
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
   Yes I have and have found some are worth the money while others are not.
    IMo it comes down to this. The designer/manf. offers a cable for sale. They talk about certain design features wire purity, winding, connectors, dielectric, impedance, resistance, skin effect and so on.
   At the end of the day what it makes your system sound like is all that matters.
    Budget plays an important part probably the most important to a potential buyer.
   If one cannot afford or is unwilling to pay "X" then one looks at a price point they are comfortable with. s they can
   When one decides on a budget one should listen to ALL cables at that point. As an educational experience listen to a exotic priced cable. you never know until you try. If the said cable rocks your system you now have a reference point to judge all comers at your price point.
   Now we have a price point. What's next ? The so called r claimed character of the cable as a starting point. Neutral ??, Rich ?? Lean ?? [ oh no], detailed, etc.
   Seek them out and listen. We sell TWL and Mad Scientist cabling. Both are excellent products. Which one ?? your system will tell you that. I personally use both as that have a great synergy between them.
   Please try not to poo poo expensive stuff if not in your budget. Let the system do that.

charles

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 03:25:44 PM »
expensive cables are expensive because people buy them at the expensive price.
If no one bought that $4000 power cord, the price would drop like a rock.

That is a fact.............................

That is how the market works........

it is the undeniable truth ...and we all know it

How many $4000 power cords are sold in 3rd world countries?
How many manufacturers would even try to sell them in 3rd world countries at that price point.?

Just like wine....the $500 dollar bottle sells because there is a buyer, the yachting industry always takes a hit in a recession.
If you have people with money, your job is to convince them to spend it.
If they can't afford your $4000 power cord, you would be out of business in no time, but you would change your business model and lower prices to meet the market demand so you can be in business.

Also high end audio must have the highest depreciation of any luxury good on the market, sure the 2 ,3 , 4 thousand dollar components sell back and forth all day new and used, but the 5 and 6 figure components get beat up real bad in the used market.
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 05:46:20 PM »

How many manufacturers would even try to sell them in 3rd world countries at that price point.?

Just like wine....the $500 dollar bottle sells because there is a buyer, the yachting industry always takes a hit in a recession.
If they can't afford your $4000 power cord, you would be out of business in no time, but you would change your business model and lower prices to meet the market demand so you can be in business.

Also high end audio must have the highest depreciation of any luxury good on the market, sure the 2 ,3 , 4 thousand dollar components sell back and forth all day new and used, but the 5 and 6 figure components get beat up real bad in the used market.

I agree it's called feeding the 1% in a fascist economy. Right now (up here too but a little less) we have democratic governments using a fascist economy. We are no longer capitalist. Forget that capitalism is 20 th century. This is full fascism. Don't like it ..oh well too late. We missed the bus about 20 years ago. Get ready you Government is now (and will completely be run like) a corporation. You are now an employee of the United States of America.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:49:17 PM by Werd »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 02:57:31 PM »
some(many) people work for the corporation, some of us work to fund it
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 06:50:49 AM »

Who cares ? Pricing is pricing for what ever reason. Cannot we just have fun. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything.
     Lots of affordable stuff out there. The hard part is finding a cable that fits ones budget and has synergy with the system.
     A cable does not have to cheap or expensive just well designed.
     The OP asked if anyone tried expensive cables not how much they cost.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 01:01:22 PM »
some(many) people work for the corporation, some of us work to fund it

Nein! I talking about thees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UQDTZcpsDE
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline bigkidz

• Seeking Help
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 05:58:11 PM »
I have heard the Hi Fidelity interconnects in a few different systems now.  So systems sounded much better and some where the improvement was not that pronounced.  Don't know the model or level and the pricing of them.  There is so much that goes into what makes a system improve and why.  All that matters is if you hear a benefit in your system.  As for the high pricing of audio cables/tweaks/components, etc., go make your own and see what the actual cost is to not only purchase materials, but have someone who will sell you small quantities of materials to start out, then design an appealing design, probably need someone to do a CAD drawing, market that out to manufacturers who will make you what you need in small quantities, design a shipping container with wrapping, foam inserts, etc., add shipping, expense, get a website, pictures of your items, specs, answer countless email questions, add tax you will pay to Uncle Sam after you move form selling them out of your garage or kitchen table, going to a show paying for a room, paying for reviews, what else did I miss, well you get the idea.  I do agree that the prices can be very high but every one has their own budget and what they will pay for an item if they feel their system shows enough improvement.

Happy Listening.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 03:26:13 AM »
That a company like audioquest can design, manufacture, advertise, and box and ship cables for like $179 shows that it can be done cheaply.
With cable markups in the 50 to 70 % range they show it can be done cheaply and still make a profit.

Why a cable costs $4000 or more ....well we all know the reason

and yes people are free to spend their money any way they want, I don't think anyone ever questioned that, just why does a cable cost more than a component.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 06:42:15 PM »
That a company like audioquest can design, manufacture, advertise, and box and ship cables for like $179 shows that it can be done cheaply.
With cable markups in the 50 to 70 % range they show it can be done cheaply and still make a profit.

Why a cable costs $4000 or more ....well we all know the reason

and yes people are free to spend their money any way they want, I don't think anyone ever questioned that, just why does a cable cost more than a component.

And Radio Shack can design, manufacture, advertise, and box and ship cables for $8, what does that prove? The answer to this question is the same as for any other consumer product sold in any market. It cost what it costs for no reason other than there are enough people will to pay it top make is worth it manufacturer's effort so make it.

We can talk all we want about how much profit is made at a give price point, but the simple economic fact remains that regardless of whether a company is making 1% or 10,00% profit on an item, if customers were not willing to pay the asking price only two things could happen, the seller could lower the price to a point that consumer were willing to pay or the company would stop offering the product for sale.

It is pure and simple supply and demand economics. And in spite of the fact that you , or anybody else may think that $4k (or any other price) is a ridiculous amount to pay for a cable, so long as enough people think that that cable does provide (at least to them) a good bang for the buck, we will continue to have $4k cables out there.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 06:57:39 PM »
agreed...............

My point being that when I or anyone else complains about the prices it is own own fault...........

I would love to sell everyone on this website a cable I banged out on my kitchen table for $4000,,,,,,,who wouldn't?

There is a restaurant in the city that sell a hamburger for $1000, we may look at this as crazy, but then again those people that pay $12 bucks for a hamburger think we are crazy to pay $4000 for a powercord.

It is a question to ponder, there is no right or wrong answer here, just an observation of what IS, and you take away from it what you want. There is a lot of food for thought here, it depends how deep you want to think.............or not............the privilege is yours

Offline tmazz

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 07:44:49 AM »
There is a restaurant in the city that sell a hamburger for $1000, we may look at this as crazy, but then again those people that pay $12 bucks for a hamburger think we are crazy to pay $4000 for a powercord.

Absolutely.

Hey I know people that don't bat an eyelash at spending $300 for a bottle of wine with dinner. Me, I would be just as happy with a $2 glass of Pepsi (with free refills, of course) and that would leave me $298 to spend at PREX.   :drool:    :rofl:

Hey, to each his own.  :thumb:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Werd

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 06:52:35 PM »
The difference now, the generic stuff of the past is nothing like tbe garbage we have now. Ever look at a generic cable these days? A complete pile of shit. And they want $25 up here Canadian. Not those Trump bucks you guys got now. They don't even use copper. It is all nickel with a tad bit of copper. Shielding is some type of plastic- recycled-rubber dredged up from some over-polluted river from China. Its horrible.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:56:11 PM by Werd »
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 11:13:22 AM »
I had an opportunity to go to a Nordost demo at my local stereo store. The demonstrator always started off with a Radio Shack type generic cord or cable. Going to their entry line of cables, the Leif series, you could hear a vast improvement in the sound quality.

As he progressed up to the most expensive cables like the Odin and Valhalla, there was a difference, but very slight in each case.

For a bang for your buck, the entry level Leif series were the ones that gave the best performance for the money spent. I cannot see paying $2000+ for incremental improvements. I have to agree with some other posters that $500+/- will get you a very good sounding cable.

Caviet: My high range hearing is not the best as I was involved in an IED blast in Iraq. There may have been a bigger difference in the more expensive cables but I could not hear the difference. From the comments of the other people in attendance, it was a mixed bag.
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC