Author Topic: Turning bad situation into something positive.  (Read 23742 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Turning bad situation into something positive.
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2020, 08:16:52 AM »
   WELL ???? Are we done yet ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2020, 06:11:55 AM »
movers came yesterday and this mornings job was to start unboxing and also to throw out lots of stuff I no longer need.

Hey Jim, Everything finding a place?
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2020, 08:23:42 AM »
ha ha oh man, lots of "stuff" I am throwing out lots of things I dont need to clear space. Finished all trim. All plumbing done. some minor paint touch up. Lighting on north side done. Will work on LED Strip lights on south side soon. Started running cables. started rack and stack of equipment. ll send pics soon. I need to do this in a certain sequence so I have room and things dont get damaged. I have a 3 day weekend (Juneteenth!!) so I should make good progress again. Im close.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Online BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2020, 11:09:48 AM »
Make sure to leave enough room to get behind the rack if you need to. Once it's loaded and too heavy to move you will regret not giving yourself space to work.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2020, 11:43:21 AM »
On wheels
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2020, 11:48:41 AM »
Make sure to leave enough room to get behind the rack if you need to. Once it's loaded and too heavy to move you will regret not giving yourself space to work.

I've got two questions for anyone (one for anyone; one specifically for jimbones):

Generally speaking, how much room is a good idea behind the rack?

I've looked at the photo of your 2 + 2 speakers for a while now. Is there a thread discussing them? Can you briefly describe them here?

Thanks!

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2020, 12:14:57 PM »

I've got two questions for anyone (one for anyone; one specifically for jimbones):

Generally speaking, how much room is a good idea behind the rack?

I've looked at the photo of your 2 + 2 speakers for a while now. Is there a thread discussing them? Can you briefly describe them here?

Thanks!

Michael

Michael, I run my rack to within 5-6 inches of the wall since I can move it relatively easy.

My 2+2 are GR Research OB subs with my own toppers. They are 2 ways using Satori MW16P and TN29R and second/third order asymmetrical crossover. I use premium parts foil coils and Jantzen/Clarirty/Jupiter caps. They are bass reflex enclosures. the toppers go down to their natural roll off and the subs com in at about 50hz. The picture is old so I no longer have the topper stacked on top of the subs but on their own stands for optimal placement.

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2020, 01:55:11 PM »
Thank you 🙏.

I’d thought that lower portion might be GR Research OB subs. The upper cabinets have two midwoofers each, correct? I had thought it might be 2.5, but I guess not. How does your configuration differ from a 2.5 (sonically, efficiency-wise)?

Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2020, 05:02:26 PM »
Thank you 🙏.

I’d thought that lower portion might be GR Research OB subs. The upper cabinets have two midwoofers each, correct? I had thought it might be 2.5, but I guess not. How does your configuration differ from a 2.5 (sonically, efficiency-wise)?

I tried a 2.5 way and I could not get it to work no matter what I did. I went back to basics and Bam! came right in. It's a bit more efficient than a 2.5. But really I dont have to worry about baffle step to much. It measures well so even though some would argue that it cant work because I didn't account for baffle step I just use my ears. If it sounds good then its good. I use measurements to get me close then voice it by ear. It puts out lots of bass. very quick without being analytical or sterile. they are very revealing though.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2020, 05:10:08 PM »
I can finally see the Floor!! :rofl:

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2020, 05:22:27 PM »
Jim,
That is really looking good  :thumb:
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2020, 09:10:55 PM »
ha ha oh man, lots of "stuff" I am throwing out lots of things I dont need to clear space. Finished all trim. All plumbing done. some minor paint touch up. Lighting on north side done. Will work on LED Strip lights on south side soon. Started running cables. started rack and stack of equipment. ll send pics soon. I need to do this in a certain sequence so I have room and things dont get damaged. I have a 3 day weekend (Juneteenth!!) so I should make good progress again. Im close.

Excellent!!!

On wheels

One of my favorite tweaks! Freed up so much floor space for me, and makes getting behind the rack a breeze now!

And it's lookin great Jim!

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2020, 05:52:29 AM »
MUSIC!!!

So last night I turned up the system and everything went smooth. Without any attention to set up I already notice the acoustics are going to be better. The old room was dead. This one is more live but not so much so that there is echo or brightness. So basically I am at a good starting point.

Still have some work to do in the room and cleaning up so no photos yet. maybe this weekend. Stay tuned.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2020, 08:36:00 AM »
Congrats!

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2020, 06:04:51 PM »
Ok so I've spent the past few evenings doing some listening while rifling through old issues of Stereophile and AS. I have not had a chance to sit in the sweet spot yet. No floor coverings or wall treatments and it sounds pretty freaking good. The previous room was dead and it is very difficult to liven a dead room. I do believe once I spend time adjusting and treating it will be awesome. Still no pics as I am still not done clearing the room yet but making progress...should make some serious progress over the next 2 weekends.