Author Topic: Logitech Duet  (Read 25292 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Logitech Duet
« on: March 10, 2008, 01:35:36 PM »
I opened my Duet last night and thought I should post some first impressions. It is packaged very nicely. Makes me think I went hog wild and bought an Apple product. Same font, same feel, except they actually use some material for packaing, not like tree huggin apple package designers who use as little as possible. Very nice. Documentation is sparse but enough to get you going. Free trials for Rhapsody, etc...

Setup was nuts because I screwed up my 26 digit wireless code on the first try. I have only made that mistake about 50 times so you think I would learn that if there's two digits left over then I fucked up and do it again. BUT NOOOOOO!!!! I am sure the device is wrong and I made no mistake...   :duh

I had to forget my wireless network and rechoose it to start again. This time I had the right number of digits and it all came to life right away. If I did it slowly and carefully like a 26 digit password demands, then it would have been perfectly easy. One thing that was funny in the paper pamphlet was the statement to the effect, "If you have experience setting up wireless network in your home then you will have no problem with the Duet." haha   That would have been taboo only 5 years ago when "wireless networking" was code word for "Don't even try it stupid."  Of course it is all automated now. The nerds' glory days of setting everything manually are long gone. Just as well... 

The audio box is still referred to as a Squeezebox so you pick the SB that you wanna control and you're off. The remote battery came with half charge which was nice. It charged fully over night and is still full after a day of piddling. It is eager to sleep though, which is a little annoying, but maybe it is just me lost in themusic, not realizing how much time passes between using the remote. It wakes with motion to the Now playing screen, or clock, I can't remember which.

The software design is exceptional. It works well and is pretty fast. The sound box responds instantly to commands. Although my Windows PC which I must use to host SC is flakey, typical Windows XP with lots of miles and programs installed. It will lock up and make the remote spin it's little icon waiting for response. Usually happens drilling down into a folder. I still use folders because I started with wavs. Now that I am all flac I will clean up the folders and switch to using the library database which should work faster because it is all in servers memory and precludes looking at the disk for a drill down. The server uses 62MB of mem, plus the tray is another 5MB. Changing songs takes 2 seconds of 20% processor load on my 2.6GHz P4 with 1GB mem. Response time (when PC is not acting stupid) is nice and fast. A dedicated SC PC with no other crap running on it would be very nice. My NAS has no SC build ready yet, even though it is officially released. I think this may be the end of the road for Infrant users. The SC is probably too big to run standalone on the NAS hardware with stock 256MB memory.

The sound quality is....... wait for it....... wait for it.......         well, I don't know, I didn't listen to it yet. But the digital out works fine :) The Altmann DAC sounds just as good with stock Duet wall wart PS as with SB3 on linear. I'll try the analog out later today. Should be better than SB3 with no noisy display. It was very loud into speakers with high sensitivty, especially direct connected to amps with normal 26dB+ gain.

OK, bitch time. The battery lid on the remote is a little flimsy and the battery pushes it out a bit, so it creaks and clicks and feels really cheap whenever I press a button. My old style plastic SB3 remote was the same way after millions of uses, it felt like ready to fall apart in my hand so that was one thing I was looking forward to improving. Of course the remote is a huge improvement in every other way, and even in that way. Because now it is just the battery lid, and not the whole thing that is creaking. I will try some scotch tape around the lid to see if it can be held down tight. The lithium ion battery in the remote is proprietary size. I had that in my Creative World Jukebox 3. Constant charging killed the first battery and it was tough trying to find replacements a year after production stopped on JB3. I found 2 extra and I take good care of them. I imagine Logitech will not abandon this battery form factor as quickly. But something to keep in mind. When word of SB5 rolls around, order a couple spare Jive batts.

The SB3 software allowed reverse and FF through music, so you could go back and hear a section again, or FF to the end of a song. It even allowed you to skip to the next song and reverse backward through the gap into the end of the previous song. Only skip song ahead or back is available now. Maybe software can bring that function back. As a musician studying the music this is very valuable to me. I would never buy a CDP that didn't let me listen to just the end of a song. Like reading the last page first. A feature I would love to see is a way to program a repeat loop in the middle of a song. Maybe this kinda stuff will be made into a plugin. The device will be more popular than ever so the general public will come by hordes.

On SB3 if you play a specific song, it would keep playing the associated folder/playlist after that song was done. Now it just stops at the end of the selected song. Pressing FF just plays the same song again. It doesn't relate the single song to any other songs so you have to do that manually. I bitched about that feature in SB, that you couldn't just play one song from one album and then add to playlist another single track from another folder. It would play the whole folder of tracks before going to the next programmed track. But I got used to that so now I am a spoiled brat and want it both ways. haha It is better this new way, but just takes some getting used to.

But the biggest PITA of all is now fixed. On SB3 when you play a song, a couple seconds later you get sent to Now Playing. To pick another song you have to drill back to the song folders or playlist or whatever you use to pick songs manually. Duet remembers where you were and makes it available with a back arrow, or just by touching the control wheel, takes you right back to where you last made a selection. Cool! Maybe the remote will not get worn out so quick by saving all that extra useless navigation. The price of this intelligence is waiting for the remote to boot up if you shut it off. It is about 15 seconds. Just like a Windows PC - NOT! It just sleeps in the charger so you should rarely see it boot.

The remote has a very nice Now playing screen that shows album art, time elapsed, time til end (countdown - I always wished for that on SB) repeat mode, time of day, etc. Power conservation first dims, then switches the display off.

The color display is excellent. It is very easy to read the naviugation menu text with greenish grey letters on white background, or is it vice versa? Album art is full color and it was sharp enough that I could read the fine print on the cover of I Am Sam soundtrack. I had to take my glasses off and look at it from 6 inches, but I could read it. VERY small! Great resolution on the screen. Animations and sound effects are cool.

The sound box (DAC) is small and very lightwieght compared to SB3. No metal legs or flourescent display. It actually feels pretty insubstantial, but is solid enough. Both the sound box and the remote have rubberish protective layer on the bottom. The remote looks right at home on my wifes fancy Ethan Allen furniture, OK maybe a little trendy. The sound box tucks away anywhere, no need to see it. I used ethernet for it, but the wireless on the remote works very well, so I imagine the base would work well streaming music too, but 100Mps hardwire is always better than wireless, even just for paranoia nervosa. You can connect the remote wirelessly to either your WAP or to the sound box. So if you are far from the router WAP you can hardwire the sound box and connect the remote to it as a WAP. I didn't try using a laptop on the Duet sound box WAP, but it will probably work?? Maybe not great range with no exposed antenna.

What else.... hmmmmm.....

I am using the official release software, maybe the latest nightly has addressed some of these software things, but they are minor convenience features, overall the thing works perfectly, except for flaking out on my PC. Not sure if that is Windows or SC. I will disable Slimserver on the NAS to lighten that load maybe get better response through the PC SC server.

The Duet at $500 is at least $200 less than factory direct Z80 Sonos with incentive. I guess their prices will soon be dropping. I have used a Sonos a couple times at dealer's but never at my house for extended time. It is very nice and has the advantage of syncing separate rooms together seemlessly without packet lag. JA says the analog output is a little better than SB3's with switcher wallwart, no surprise there. But these are consumer electronics heavy on the cool factor and light on the audiophile factor, so a DAC is really essential for high end audio. Without regard for the sound quality I would give the Duet 2 thumbs up for the industrial design, software design and overall concept and execution. Well done Logitech!
Rich

miklorsmith

Re: Logitech Duet
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 02:50:43 PM »
Wow, great w/u Rich!

Sounds like they really hit a home run with this one, or at least a ringing double.   :D

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 06:18:38 PM »
But the biggest PITA of all is now fixed. On SB3 when you play a song, a couple seconds later you get sent to Now Playing. To pick another song you have to drill back to the song folders or playlist or whatever you use to pick songs manually. Duet remembers where you were and makes it available with a back arrow, or just by touching the control wheel, takes you right back to where you last made a selection. Cool! Maybe the remote will not get worn out so quick by saving all that extra useless navigation. The price of this intelligence is waiting for the remote to boot up if you shut it off. It is about 15 seconds. Just like a Windows PC - NOT! It just sleeps in the charger so you should rarely see it boot.

Nice review Rich.. You said brief but that was full fledged. :)

BTW, referencing the above, you can do this with the SB3... For the "screensaver while playing" chose "Now Playing (Jump back on wake)". It will then jump back to whatever you were browsing.

BillC

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 10:37:22 PM »
Rich,

Wow, any briefer and I would need to start the coffee brewin' !  Seriously, excellent review.  It looks like it is easy to install and get going (if keying 26 digit codes is your specialty  :shock: ).  I plan to go slowly, count digits, and call in the quality assurance crew before pressing Enter. 

It is nice to see the controller is fairly intuitive, and well designed.  Since this is the device interface, it is important. 

I have a MSB Nelson DAC 3 to test out against the built in DAC.  Let us know how it sounds for you, when you get a chance.   :)

Bill C

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 08:04:34 PM »
Still haven't listened to the analog, sorry. I will do it tomorrow.

But have run into a annoying problem. The server is frequently unable to access files on the network. I can pause/unpause, but when I drill down into the menu it spins the little right arrow forever like it's looking but never finds anything. Even when playlist is loaded, it sometimes can't advance, can't find the file. Other times it seems like the system is frozen, even the pause will not respond. This happens while the SB is playing music. Volume and pause commands are accepted by Jive, but no change at SB. I started to feel that desire to throw the remote through a large plate glasss window, but fortunately none were around so I just took another pill instead.  :D

I have unloaded all the shit I normally run on Windows, which slim6 never had any trouble with, no change. I stopped all the nonessential processes like virus, spam, printer spooler, etc. barebones windows, but no change. I even unloaded slim6 from the NAS so there wouldn't be two servers on the same network, and maybe speed up the NAS a little - nope. So I don;t know if it is flakey PC, flakey SC7, flakey router or flakey NAS (or flakey operator?) Maybe SC7 doesn't like using URL as external drive. It works fine while you eep pressing commands, but then when you set it down for a couple minutes it forgets where it is and can't find itself again. If I put the remote down to listen it is flaked after a song or two. Tomorrow I will experiment with the network, try to find what part is playing bad.

On the bright side, programming saved playlists in SC is a lot better than slim6 which wouldn't edit existing playlists. Seems to browse faster too.
Rich

ik632

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 07:46:16 AM »
I'm waiting for the power supply and case for the mini-itx board (should have the stuff this coming week) so I'll get it all together and bring it over so you can see if the server is the issue. I'll probably install Linux on it instead of FreeBSD that I've been using since we need to mount the shares from the existing NAS (and I'm not 100% sure how to do it best under FreeBSD).

miklorsmith

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 08:02:21 AM »
I'm making a painful transition to SC7 and using a networked laptop as my remote.  The promise is great but the laptop music scans are painfully long, like many, many hours and SC7 isn't recognizing my .cue sheets.  I had the latter problem before but got past it somehow.   :roll:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 09:11:34 AM »
Sorry you're having trouble Mike. I've never had great performance from the webGUI. The hardware works much better. You might remember some of the issues about scanning that we had long ago, maybe it is a bad setting that is making it slow? Look at slim forum for old threads about slow scanning, like spring/summer 06 maybe?

Thanks Nick, I look forward to trying out your little hotrod slim server. I will experiment with some different network configs today. Suuposedly Infrant has actually released a build for ReadyNAS, so I will try that.

miklorsmith

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 09:22:15 AM »
The Slim forum doesn't keep old threads.  They only let them sit idle for a month.   :roll:

The scanning one I can live with for now, the .cue sheet issue is much more problematic since my entire collection is set up with it.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 01:46:03 PM »
Mike, in the past they were pretty accomodating to bug requests like that. You might wanna enter a bug report. They have a subdomain set up for it. Check support section for a link.  Since it was a feature previously available on SB3, they "should be" receptive to restoring it. Wouldacouldashoulda

I have been tinkering around with mine for a few days now. I still have the problem when it forgets what universe it's in when running on the PC. When that happens it just spins the cursor looking for the files forever. I updated to nightly beta, no change. I moved the SC7 server to the NAS after woodsyi posted they do have a beta release of SC7 available for ReadyNAS. I have limited miles on that so far, but I think it has not hung up yet. But it runs slower on that hardware, so it seems like it is hung, but eventually it seems to find its way. So I wonder if tunes located on machine other than local to the server are a problem. The NAS seems to have a bad bearing coming on with a slight squeal so it is louder than ever. I hope it is just the fan.

I think SC7 updates itself automatically, because new Jive software was ready to install when I picked up the remote yesterday. I'm sure they will be busy with bug fixes in the next few months.

I burned in the analog section with the frybaby mp3 file overnight. So it should be good to go. I hope to listen to it soon. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 05:41:49 PM »
I gotta say this SqueezeCenter/Jive thing is pretty frustrating. I can't get it to play any music at all now. I am almost ready to get my money back on their 30 day guarantee. I will have to take apart my network to exonerate the switch and move music files from NAS to SC7 local machine to research the problem further. I really shouldn't have to do that, since SB3 worked just fine. It never caused me to lose a night of listening.

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 07:15:39 AM »
Sounds like you are traveling down a painful road Rich. I thought about installing SC7 on my server but I keep seeing too many posts about folks having problems. I think mine is 6.5 (???) and it just works, too bad you can't use the Duet with that. :(

For the same $300 they want for just the remote one could by an iPod Touch with wifi and use it for the remote. Not quite as elegant but you get a very nice music player for the same money with a killer UI.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 07:48:37 AM »
I have a NAS but not one capable of actually running SqueezeCenter.    I placed all the music files there initially and let my PC (a fairly new Vista box) run SC7.   This worked but SqueezeCenter was slow.  I then moved all the music files to a new 500g SATA drive in the Vista box and things got a whole lot faster - both in scan time (dramatically faster - maybe 5 - 10 minutes at most now to scan ~780 CDs worth of music) as well as brower responsiveness.   I now use the NAS just for backup of the music files.

While I don't have a Duet yet, SC7 is working just fine for me with two SB3s.   I had been running SC7 in beta for at least 4 months before the production release.  SC7 does have a few quirks but overall, I'm hooked and like it much better than 6.5.   Will definitely pick up a Duet controller at some point...

ik632

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 08:44:38 AM »
I should have some more time this week to finish getting the test NAS together so you can try a few things with it. I should have it ready for this weekend.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 10:36:16 AM »
Thanks guys. I will try local music files on the PC, maybe that is the key, then see how Nick's uberbox affects things. Dang I just upgraded the NAS too. I'm sure I can build a RAID server with more processing power and more storage for less brand name money. Bryan and Nick have some great experience to share so I am not as intimidated about wasting money on a bunch of incompatible parts.

I bought the NAS before Slim went to bed with Infrant, but was encouraged to see their partnership to validate my choice. Now it seems it is not technically compatible, after one year! Netgear bought Infrant and Logitech bought Slim and so the partnership lapsed. But Slim knows that a lot of people use a NAS. It is all just standard networking protocol, I don't understand why it should matter. Maybe slim doesn't either - yet!

Well, one thing is putting the server and data on the same machine didn't help on the NAS, even with local path. So maybe it is something about the NAS itself, or maybe the network switch. I am open minded to it not being Slim's fault, but SB3 works fine.
Thanks... I'll report with the results.
Rich