Author Topic: Oritek Zhaolu DAC  (Read 13822 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Oritek Zhaolu DAC
« on: October 12, 2007, 06:19:33 AM »
Iv'e heard two of these now in two different systems and the verdict is good very good indeed. Pulse transformer at Coaxial in to eliminate noise and give true 75 Ohm input.
      This is a steal at about  $450. I cannot think of another that touch it at this price. Check it out. This DAC replaced a Theta 5A and Meridian 508. Not bad company Eh!.

rollo
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 06:29:50 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline RichardS

• Seeking Help
Re: Oritek Zhaolu DAC
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:57:42 PM »
Hi Rollo
I have a Oritek Zhaolu 2.0 in a second system and I agree that it's quite good. It replaced a Consonance CD120 (and a Modwright PT P3A before that). I brought it over to Rich's a few months ago during the DAC shootout with the Altmann and Nixon. I put it in toward the end and no one really seemed interested to hear it (I think maybe listening fatigue had set in). I thought it held it's own when price is considered, but it didn't have the magic of the Altmann. It's sins are of omission, though, and it's a pleasant DAC to listen to.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 06:34:01 AM »
RichardS,
              The Altman is a class act. IMO though if an exteral power supply is added to the Oritek the omissions will be extracted. It just needs more juice with better parts IMO.

rollo
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 08:20:59 AM »
    Last evening we heard the Oritek with a custom 100W power supply. Total investment $950. The system consisted of a CEC transport, Oritek D/A, custom TVC with S&B trannies, Audio Note Kit One with a 6550 driving full Music 300Bs, with a Hafler Amp driving the bass. All played through Von Sch. VR-6s. All cabling was copper, with a silver and cotton Digital cable. No power cond. All omega Micro active PCs.
     To say the least a fine system. The Oritek replaced a Theta 5a. So how did it sound. You could listen all night long. No digititus at all. Smooth lifelike presentation. No crisp digital sound here. The midrange was lush and accurate. The top sweet and full. The cymbal work was spot on. The shimmer decay of the cymbals was quite impressive. Dynamics both micro and macro were there as well in full force. A very solid presentation from all ends.
     When we inserted the Theta back into the system at first we were taken by the sheer force of the music but after a short time we realized how Hi Fi it sounded. The Oritek was just easier to listen to. A more natural presentatation. Very impressive indeed.
      If your looking for a DAC under $500 this could be it. If you can build or obtain a better power supply. IMo go for it. We will be comparing the Oritek to my Lector in my system soon. Will let you know how it fares.

rollo