Author Topic: Hey Rich...About Your Altmann....  (Read 16058 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Hey Rich...About Your Altmann....
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 11:59:25 AM »
Hi Tan!
I leave the charger physically connected to the battery all the time. I have the charger plugged into a switched outlet. Every couple weeks I flip the switch and recharge the batt overnight. The charger has green and red LEDs which signal the state of charge. Since it is a smart trickle charger, it never rises more than 2V above the battery voltage, even less approaching full charge where the battery usually is. So I can leave it on all the time if I want with no worry about hurting the Altmann gear to overvoltage as would happen with a normal automotive quick charger which can hit 20V. Absolute max voltage input to BYOB while running is 18V so Charles recommends disconnecting from charger before charging to avoid fatal mistake of turning on the amp during fast charge. He uses a fast charger on his rig. With this charger running I hear no unwanted noise because the chip has great ripple rejection. The DAC is quiet under charge too. The BYOB sounds even better running under charge because of the higher input voltage. The Deltran is a nice little charger, I highly recommend it. Pepboys for about $60 I think?
Rich

tanchiro58

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 05:22:50 PM »
Rich,

I got the fast charger too which is a Schumacher (http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-600a.html) but I also found this charger for every kind of batteries and has switched mode too. It costs only $56.00 included shipping. Here is the link

http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=212&idproduct=20384

Tan

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 05:51:12 PM »
That looks great. Safe enough to keep it on when the amp is running, nothing to worry about, you can leave it connected all the time. 14.4V maximum. Good find!! Nice price too. Thanks