Author Topic: SME to stop Selling Tonearms  (Read 4159 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
SME to stop Selling Tonearms
« on: December 05, 2019, 08:01:25 AM »
As of yesterday, SME has stopped taking orders to stand alone tonearms. They will not stop making them, just stop selling them as a stand alone item in the retail and the OEM marketplaces.

The will not stop manufacturing arms, but  on a going forward basis, the only way to get an SME arm is to purchase it preinstalled on a new SME turntable.

Since the arms will still technically be in production SME has assured customers that the availability of replacement parts and service will be unaffected by the exit from the retail market. (Although I have not seen any information about which arms will be offered with new tables, it may not be all of the currently available models.)

https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/sme-leaves-the-tonearm-business
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:04:03 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: SME to stop Selling Tonearms
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 10:15:57 AM »
   Good to know thanks. I think a VG marketing move. One of my favorite arms and tables.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 11:22:54 AM »
I think it was a manufacturing issue more than marketing. The article says that SME was looking to expand its turntable output. it sound like they were faced with a choice of either building more factory capacity or cutting back on tonearm production to use that freed up capacity to increase TT production. Of course building equipping new factory space is very expensive and therefor risky) so they opted to reallocate the capacity they already had in house.

Of course the other factor that probably played into their decision is I the market for stand alone arms as far as I can see seems to be shrinking as most tables are now being sold with with their own proprietary arms. While in the past most high end TT manufactures did not make arms, leaving the user to pick out and buy the arm of his choice. This is no longer the case so I can see that faces with a quickly shrinking pool of even potential buyers SME decided to dedicate there manufacturing capacity to a product line that is growing (TTs) rather than one that is shrinking.

But I have to say, as good as my SME IV is, if I were to buy an new VPI table today, I would buy it with one of their 3D printed arms. It is just a whole lot easier to buy something that is pre mounted and was an integral part of the design and ultimate voicing of the table.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:25:42 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 12:36:03 PM »
They might also be freeing up time for the machinery to do other contracts that make more money. Audio is maybe the smaller part of their business.

But at the same time they're idiots. They refuse to reissue the 3012R identically to the original... but that's the hottest tonearm in the US, if not the world. They say it's inferior... but who gives a shit if everyone wants it?

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 04:56:24 PM »
They might also be freeing up time for the machinery to do other contracts that make more money. Audio is maybe the smaller part of their business.

But at the same time they're idiots. They refuse to reissue the 3012R identically to the original... but that's the hottest tonearm in the US, if not the world. They say it's inferior... but who gives a shit if everyone wants it?

Wasn’t aware about the 3012R.... It has such an excellent reputation.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom