Author Topic: Triode Wire Labs "Seven Plus" Power Cable NC tour  (Read 43353 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Triode Wire Labs "Seven Plus" Power Cable NC tour
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »
The 7+ was only in the PS Audio Quintet. Everything but my amp goes into the Quintet. The amp is a 30 year old Bryston 4B I sent back to Bryston to recap and bring up to 4B ST status, it has the curly, non-removeable power cord.

Both the Quintet and amp get plugged into a hospital grade Leviton outlet.

The 7+ was swapped back and forth with my diy power cord. That was were the amazing difference was, all the benefits I spoke of arose when the 7+ went into the Quintet in place of my diy pc.

Just for curiosity's sake, I briefly took the 12+ off the dac and used it to connect the Quintet to the Leviton. Again, the TWL family sound was there, but lost a little grunt.

Since eveything but the amp goes into the Quintet, I can't point to one specific piece of gear that most benefited. Since the most amazing change was the re-centering of the soundstage I would have to guess the must be a great synergy between the Purity Preamp and power as supplied by the TWL. Same must have been happening for the Rega Apollo cdp. It really was a 'grab you by the lapels and slap you in the face' difference, I can't explain it.

The diy pc was no slouch, a quality cable, albeit 10 year old technology, and upper mid-tier hospital-grade connectors at each end. Last night I spent some time listening to flac via Duet -> EE Minimax dac and swapped the diy pc and TWL 12+ and again, no contest. Blacker background, less glare more analog sound, detail to die for.

I don't know what Pete does with these PCs, I spent time last night googling Litzendraught braided construction, and though I get the theory, it seems the payback is more than what I'd expect. Maybe it's the cryo he now does as well. I thought all this was magic 'pixie dust' meant to snooker the unwitting out of their cash, but not after this weekend.

Gene,

My VT-200 does not have an IEC socket on it and to install one is a biog pain (you need to remove both of the output transformers - ugh) so I have the 7+ put onto the end of the captive cord using an IEC to three prong adapter. I am sure that this is not as good as using the TWL cord directly into the amp, but it still yeilds some significant improvements. You should definitely give it a try.

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 08:09:31 AM »
Tom -

I never knew they existed, I'll go to hardware store today.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 08:58:22 AM »
Tom -

You may have to order from Music direct or Audioadvisor. I believe Pangea offers one.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 09:47:40 AM »
Think you're right Charles, nothing at hardware.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 01:44:23 PM »
Tom -

You may have to order from Music direct or Audioadvisor. I believe Pangea offers one.

charles

AA gets about $20 a piece for them. I found the same thing on amazon for a little over 3 bucks each.  :roll:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 02:39:41 PM »
Tom -

charles

AA gets about $20 a piece for them. I found the same thing on amazon for a little over 3 bucks each.  :roll:

I get my high quality adapters (to Daisy Chain multiple cords for burn-in) at StayOnline.com... you may want one of these... http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=6628

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 03:16:10 PM »
Quote from: Triode Pete lI get my high quality adapters (to Daisy Chain multiple cords for burn-in) at StayOnline.com... you may want one of these... [url=http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=6628
http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=6628[/url]

Pete

On it!

Hey, you can send me the 8+ to try now. 8)

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2012, 06:22:40 PM »
One final test before I send the Seven Plus on to next lucky soul, bought an IEC to 3 prong adaptor, ran the Twelve Plus into the Quintet, and used adaptor to hang the Seven Plus off of the 4B captive cord, can't say that much of a change.

'Maybe' bass a little tighter

'Maybe' background a little blacker.

Or maybe not.

If I was going to keep the 4B I'd have an IEC installed, but I see myself going to something else for an amp, so I'll leave things 'as is' in that department for now.

Gene,

My VT-200 does not have an IEC socket on it and to install one is a biog pain (you need to remove both of the output transformers - ugh) so I have the 7+ put onto the end of the captive cord using an IEC to three prong adapter. I am sure that this is not as good as using the TWL cord directly into the amp, but it still yeilds some significant improvements. You should definitely give it a try.

Tom

Offline tmazz

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »
One final test before I send the Seven Plus on to next lucky soul, bought an IEC to 3 prong adaptor, ran the Twelve Plus into the Quintet, and used adaptor to hang the Seven Plus off of the 4B captive cord, can't say that much of a change.

'Maybe' bass a little tighter

'Maybe' background a little blacker.

Or maybe not.

If I was going to keep the 4B I'd have an IEC installed, but I see myself going to something else for an amp, so I'll leave things 'as is' in that department for now.

And yet on my VT-200 the change was quite noticeable.

Synergy, Synergy, Synergy  :roll:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2012, 07:14:01 AM »
You know what Tom, it was a quick test of Aja after booting up system cold.

Made my post.

Now, after an hour of playing, surfing the web while Kamakiriad plays, sans 7+, re-cued the CD and added the 7+, back to surfing.

After awhile I realized I was tapping my foot along with the bass line, and here's the thing, the ankle of that foot is swollen like a grapefruit, so I don't want to move foot at all!

Still not something I'd call 'significant improvements', but the PRAT elements are better, soundstage a little better defined, and the bass is so nice, it's got my bad foot going.

Still, the 7+ is trying to push electrons through a 30 year old, 16ga. curly-cue captive cable, only so much it can improve.

But if I was keeping the 4B, I would definately have Pete make me a cable unfinished at the amp end and replace the existing cable.