Author Topic: Analog vs Digital yes again  (Read 2046 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Analog vs Digital yes again
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:21:06 AM »
  Now some time later with further advancement in digital playback time to revisit the debate. Running a State of the Art analog and digital front end now.
  The differences have narrowed to a point that Digital playback now has the edge over analog. My main beef was never tonality. It was harmonics and harmonic decay of note. That has changed. I find it equal with same quality recording on either format. I hear the harmonic of a Piano decay with weight now, Analog always had that advantage. Bass is better focused and deeper with Digital. Digital has zero surface noise, clicks or pops. Analogs given 3D sound stage has been equaled as well.
   So do the list. One list of advantages and one list of disadvantages. Yes until now I liked analog more. Vinyl or Digital enjoy your music.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Analog vs Digital yes again
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 12:06:48 PM »
  Now some time later with further advancement in digital playback time to revisit the debate. Running a State of the Art analog and digital front end now.
  The differences have narrowed to a point that Digital playback now has the edge over analog. My main beef was never tonality. It was harmonics and harmonic decay of note. That has changed. I find it equal with same quality recording on either format. I hear the harmonic of a Piano decay with weight now, Analog always had that advantage. Bass is better focused and deeper with Digital. Digital has zero surface noise, clicks or pops. Analogs given 3D sound stage has been equaled as well.
   So do the list. One list of advantages and one list of disadvantages. Yes until now I liked analog more. Vinyl or Digital enjoy your music.

charles
Music... it's all good........ except for MP3 [-X
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Brap

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 12:53:59 PM »
Doing the comparison myself with the new streamer // vinyl and how my Fritzies like both.  Right now digital has the edge.  Have started recording to my RTR from the streamer and will do A/B comparisons too just for the heck of it.  Why you ask?  I can't answer but it's plugged in and I like to looks of VU meter movement.  I CAN say however, the Carrera Be's are just amazing. Geez they kick out bass for such a small footprint.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 01:46:13 PM »
  RTR comparison should prove interesting. The frequency range of your RTR and CD may be quite different. Will it make a difference ? let us know.
  Yes the Fritz Carrera is our best selling speaker. KABOOM for the buck. I recall setting up the Carreras using a Audio Hungary A20i integrated [20W/ch] with a Aqua Acoustic digital front end [ La Scala DAC, La Vida Transport. All TWL powercords plugged into an Uberbuss as well as all TWL Ics and speaker cables. Sounded better than we ever expected. So good in fact the hosts main system got little play until he pulled the plug on the Carreras. Literally.
   The Fritz Carreras do not need a Sub however the right sub will take it over the top. Can you say Rythmic ?

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Brap

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 02:09:35 PM »
Actually, will eventually try CD Charles but for now, Qobuz on streamer and output to RTR.  Sound comparison for one and then visual to see the revelators doing calisthenics. Fully agree -- no sub needed whatsoever.  Mine is collecting dust in a corner while it awaits a new owner.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:44:46 PM »
  RTR comparison should prove interesting. The frequency range of your RTR and CD may be quite different. Will it make a difference ? let us know.
  Yes the Fritz Carrera is our best selling speaker. KABOOM for the buck. I recall setting up the Carreras using a Audio Hungary A20i integrated [20W/ch] with a Aqua Acoustic digital front end [ La Scala DAC, La Vida Transport. All TWL powercords plugged into an Uberbuss as well as all TWL Ics and speaker cables. Sounded better than we ever expected. So good in fact the hosts main system got little play until he pulled the plug on the Carreras. Literally.
   The Fritz Carreras do not need a Sub however the right sub will take it over the top. Can you say Rythmic ?

charles
I can say GR open baffles for bass to the center of the earth!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 11:01:50 PM »

charles

Speaking of GR and great bass, OCD HiFi Mikey recently started using them. Mikey uses some very pricey gear like APL, NAT, that I’d love to hear. Sorry for the diversion

https://youtu.be/BiiaGdgwTDk

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 08:38:58 AM »

Yes they are excellent however too large for most rooms. Not chepl either if one cannot build the kit.

charles

charles