Author Topic: QUESTION FOR TRIODE PETE  (Read 19466 times)

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
QUESTION FOR TRIODE PETE
« on: April 01, 2016, 05:23:02 AM »
What is the maximum amp capacities for your American Series cables 7, 10 & 12?
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: QUESTION FOR TRIODE PETE
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 06:58:05 AM »
According to the electric codes, 12 ga cable is rated for up to 20 amps and of course that  means that the larger ones are rated for more. Therefore it would seem to me that the limiting factor on there cords would not be the wire itself, but the plugs on the end which would be rated for either 15 or 20 amps, and would be chosen based on what kind of IEC socket is installed on the piece of equipment you would be powering with the cord.

Now keep in mind that this would just be the capacity set by the National Electric code for safe operation. Nobody would be buying one of these cables just for safe power delivery (a $3 stock cord would do that.) We buy them because they provide us with better sound quality form our systems. As such Pete may have a recommended amp range within which each cord performs best and this could be very different from the maximum capacity at which it could be safely used.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:44:04 AM »
Tom (tmazz), an electrical engineer, is correct, when it comes to your house wiring NEC codes. 12 AWG - 20 amps, 10 AWG - 30 amps, 7 AWG - ~47 amps.

However, the continuous Current Carrying Capacity of the wire & dielectric I utilize can handle quite a bit of current (amperage) before melting either the wire or insulation (from laboratory testing) as follows -
12 AWG - 45 amps
10 AWG - 58 amps
7 AWG - 90 amps

The above are somewhat crazy numbers and tmazz is correct again that the limiting factor is the connectors themselves. I have personally load-tested my cable line-up with my copper-based connectors with a steady 20 amp load (continuous over 6 hours) and both the cables & connectors remained cool (at ambient temperature) "to the touch". At the time, I also tested some "off-brand" audiophile rhodium plated connectors. The rhodium-plated connectors were very warm "to the touch" with the cable itself remaining cool (at ambient temperature). Kind of makes sense since rhodium is considered a poor electrical conductor.

The maximum instantaneous current (~ 800ms) will be > 200 amps for all of my power cable products...

I hope this helps...

Cheers,
Pete

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 11:39:12 AM »
Doesn't the length of cord also come into play?

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 12:23:41 PM »

Don

Don,
Not at the relatively short lengths of audio power cables we're talking about...

Cheers,
Pete 
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 07:17:39 AM »

Don

It will using long shitty 14 gauge extension cords on power tools. That is probably what you are thinking. Most gear does not need the constant power like a table saw. So therefore a long extension cords end up being unsuitable for power tools and will burn them out. Where in audio they will run and not suffer sagging power issues since most power amps run only a couple amps constant
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 11:55:16 AM »
Length is always a factor in power cabling. What limits the current carrying capacity of a given power cable is the temperature rise that will occur at a given current. Of course the biggest concern is a wire heating up to the point where it can cause a fire. The rise in temperature is a function of the current carried by the wire and the resistance of the run. And since resistance is a function of the length of the wire is is only logical that the length of the run is critical to sizing the gauge of the wire. The amp capacity that you see on a romex package or  or in some of the NEC charts for home wiring have built into them an assumed maximum run length based on typical home construction. You can usually find those details in the footnotes of the charts and if the application you are using fall outside to the maximums in those footnotes you must adjust your wire sizes accordingly. Back in my younger days I did a lot of power engineering for telephone switching plants and in an industrial situation like that the normal home assumptions went out the window and we always sized power cables based on both load requirements and length.

Now that said in industrial situations power runs can be 100s of feet long and thus taking length onto account was very important. But Pete is correct, when you are taking about the kinds of wire gauge we typically use in premium audio power cords and footages that are generally in the single digits the length of the cable is a complete non-issue as the our circuit breakers will trip long before those cables get dangerously hot.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 12:22:12 PM »
  Now you can audition some. PM me or Pete. :roll: :rofl: :rofl:

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 07:02:05 PM »
Pete and Rollo,

Thanks for the answers. I am familiar with the NEC wire ratings for household and industrial wiring, but should have phrased my question differently. I was trying to get a better gauge on the applications for the wires.

The Seven and Ten are pretty strait forward in their applications.
It is the Twelve I am curious about. I have a set of Golden Ear Tritons with a 1200W powered sub built in. I was wondering if the Twelve would be an ok cable for this application or would the Ten be better?

ANOTHER QUESTION

I see the cables come in a maximum length of 6 feet. Can they be made longer? Like 9 feet? I am familiar with the voltage drop factor due to resistance the longer you go and that you need to upsize the conductors. The reason I ask is that I have a 1200W sub that needs a longer cord (9ft) and trying to see if a longer cord is available and which cord (10 or 12) would be appropriate for the application.
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 08:03:17 PM »
Anything meaningful in sonics will be had concentrating on the male and female connects  (and your outlets). Over a 10 or 12 gauge comparison.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 07:09:59 AM »
Pete and Rollo,

Thanks for the answers. I am familiar with the NEC wire ratings for household and industrial wiring, but should have phrased my question differently. I was trying to get a better gauge on the applications for the wires.

The Seven and Ten are pretty strait forward in their applications.
It is the Twelve I am curious about. I have a set of Golden Ear Tritons with a 1200W powered sub built in. I was wondering if the Twelve would be an ok cable for this application or would the Ten be better?

ANOTHER QUESTION

I see the cables come in a maximum length of 6 feet. Can they be made longer? Like 9 feet? I am familiar with the voltage drop factor due to resistance the longer you go and that you need to upsize the conductors. The reason I ask is that I have a 1200W sub that needs a longer cord (9ft) and trying to see if a longer cord is available and which cord (10 or 12) would be appropriate for the application.

Standard power cord lengths are 5 feet & 6 feet. I can & have made much longer power cords, including one that was 25 ft. long! Fabricating a 9 foot long power cable is not a problem whatsoever...

I recommend the "Ten Plus" for your 1200W sub. The "Ten Plus" will provide a bit more "tight slam & authoritative" bass response than the "Twelve Plus". The "Ten Plus" has been used with great results on a variety of subwoofers, including the ones used at many audio shows I've participated in...

If interested, please PM for more details regarding a 9 foot long subwoofer power cable.

Thanks,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS