Author Topic: Re-terminating power cords. Any sonic benefit?  (Read 10108 times)

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re-terminating power cords. Any sonic benefit?
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Hi everyone

Just wanted to ask people here if they have ever re-terminated their stock power cords or re-terminated their power cords with different metal types. What results did you find with the re-termination if any good or bad? In your experience did you find it worthwhile?

Here is where these questions is coming about. As I'm re-doing my HT system I'm finding I'm just tired of dealing with the rigid 2 meter Atlona OFC copper power cords. They keep slipping out of the newer Hubbell Porter Port plugs I installed which really surprised me. The original plugs in my power conditioner were old and the Atlonas kept slipping out. I thought the change to the Hubbell's would help.  That is how heavy they can be and they are only 10 AWG. I bought these from a closeout and now I know why.

I may try to use some fishing line or twine to suspend them again to take pressure off the outlets and IEC inlets like I did before but it was really ugly.

Since I value my stereo systems more and want to spend as little money as possible on my HT system my thought process was buy some Rhodium plated IEC connectors from ebay. They are under $30 shipped. There are other Copper ones ends I've seen that are cheaper.

I was thinking about cutting the Atlona cables to the size I need and then re-terminating them. If that still doesn't help I was going to then chuck the Atlonas and maybe re-terminate the original Belden 17604 cable I have and maybe some stock power cords.

Any thoughts on all this are much appreciated. Also if you have any spare power cord ends you don't want let me know. I'd rather spend money here rather than sending the funds abroad.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:28:47 AM by sleepyguy24 »

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
Re: Re-terminating power cords. Any sonic benefit?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
I made a simple junction box with a single flexible inlet cord (DH Labs PowerPlus) to the wall outlet. It feeds the J-Box with a Neutrik PowerConn (locking!). The J-Box now has all PowerCons on it, so I then re-terminated all of my cords with PowerCons. I'd never go back. They have 32A and 16A versions and are very inexpensive compared to most IEC hardware in the audiophile market.

I can't say there is a sonic benefit as I changed a lot of stuff, but it is definitely no loss and I never worry about whether they're tight or not.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »
Cool idea Tom

http://www.neutrik.com/en/lighting/powercon/

Look like the same termination that's on my battery / charger cable for my battery powered Dodd VGP Pre-amp.

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 01:12:36 PM »
I have tried a few different PC connectors and didn't notice much if any sonic change from different connectors, so I would say just re-terminate it if you are unhappy with your connector. I've used connectors with copper and Rhodium. Most of the times I have done it purely for aesthetic purposes.
-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers/Seismic Isolation Podiums
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 52TB NAS
Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC/Pi4 Ropieee
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balance

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »
Cool idea Tom

Look like the same termination that's on my battery / charger cable for my battery powered Dodd VGP Pre-amp.

SN
Yes I think that is the 20A version (blue/gray), but there are 3 different versions which each must be paired up to work. No mixing and matching. I used the 32A version (black) for the AC inlet but the power cords and outlets use the True1 20A versions (black/yellow).
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 06:45:37 AM »
Many Thanks guys for your prompt suggestions and thoughts. I wish when I had first encountered the plugs slipping out of the original outlets in my power conditioner I had posted a thread here looking for solutions. The Neutrik PowerCon connector idea would have really worked. If I were to do this I presume I would also have to change the IEC inlets on my amp and HT processor to accommodate the PowerCon connectors?

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:06:56 AM »
Many Thanks guys for your prompt suggestions and thoughts. I wish when I had first encountered the plugs slipping out of the original outlets in my power conditioner I had posted a thread here looking for solutions. The Neutrik PowerCon connector idea would have really worked. If I were to do this I presume I would also have to change the IEC inlets on my amp and HT processor to accommodate the PowerCon connectors?
I only changed the male connectors and outlets in the J-box, not the IEC's on the gear itself, as long as those fit tight. Otherwise I just wrap a little teflon plumbing tape around them to tighten the fit a bit.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 09:20:39 AM »
Cool idea Tom

SN

Ir certainly is Ollie. Excellent choice BTW. Sleepyguy if you like the power cords sound as is then leave it alone. try using a wood block or other  means to support the plug.
    Plugs IMO do sound different. Rhodium being on the bright side and copper on the warm side.
     IMO audio manufactures and PC manufactures should consider the powercon connector. No exotic nonsense just a great connection with no sonic harm.
     The other option is to remove plug from cord and hard wire to component.
      A juntion box works but adds extra wire and connections that can affect sonics. Just keep it simple.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 04:01:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to keep the cables as they are. I do like they synergy they have with some of the components I paired them with. I'll just deal with the annoying details that go along with them.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 09:05:54 AM »
  That a boy. Draw that line in the sand. Good decision.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.