Author Topic: Where is the greatest VALUE in your system?  (Read 2946 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Where is the greatest VALUE in your system?
« on: December 21, 2019, 04:09:54 PM »
As a somewhat audiophile, I've put a lot of time and dollars into my two systems.  With kit speakers, used amps, second hand cables, and bordering on antique turntables, there are lots of things I could point to as great values. 

I suspect that the heart of system is my Dodd battery preamp.  I really like my big line source speakers, and having built them from Danny Richie's kit, they were cheap for what they deliver.  My Victor TT-81 has about $500 in it, and is a really nice TT.  I suspect I'd have to spend upwards of $3k to really upgrade. 

But value?? It's got to be my TDA7297 chip amp designed by Folsom.  Four Sonicap Platinums in it cost more than the rest of the amp combined.  And Jeremy did a few extras for me a couple of years back... but, penny for penny, it's the best value in my system. 

How would you rank values in your system? A comparison of our relative values could be a handy reference for our members. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Where is the greatest VALUE in your system?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 05:47:42 PM »
My Spatial M3 Turbo S speakers best value. For me, they do what I value most- LOUD with no distortion, and a smooth tone that never fatigues. My Luxman L-590 AX MK II sounds great too, but certainly no bargain. Same with my Esoteric K07x SACD Player...
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »
My Spatial M3 Turbo S speakers best value....
I've not heard those, but like everyone at the RMAF in about 2008-9, we came away impressed with Clayton Shaw's Emerald Physics speakers.  Those and Danny Richie's Super V speakers were the talk of the show for best values. I assume the Spatial speakers are similar to their ancestors.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 06:39:09 PM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 07:50:28 PM »
Hi all.
The greatest VALUE in my system (Which is now in storage) is my OB Hframe configuration with
two 12'' Acoustinator woofer from Eminence driven by Danny Ritchie SA-1 plate amplifier (240W)
with either Omega 7F extented reange driver or 8'' Audio Nirvana extended range driver.
All other items in my stereo system are so, so... But not bad.
Why I ove my speakers so much, they reveal lots of details from the source,
bass is good at moderate level.
That's it.

Guy 13

Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 08:55:00 PM »
As a somewhat audiophile, I've put a lot of time and dollars into my two systems.  With kit speakers, used amps, second hand cables, and bordering on antique turntables, there are lots of things I could point to as great values. 

I suspect that the heart of system is my Dodd battery preamp.  I really like my big line source speakers, and having built them from Danny Richie's kit, they were cheap for what they deliver.  My Victor TT-81 has about $500 in it, and is a really nice TT.  I suspect I'd have to spend upwards of $3k to really upgrade. 

But value?? It's got to be my TDA7297 chip amp designed by Folsom.  Four Sonicap Platinums in it cost more than the rest of the amp combined.  And Jeremy did a few extras for me a couple of years back... but, penny for penny, it's the best value in my system. 

How would you rank values in your system? A comparison of our relative values could be a handy reference for our members.

What an interesting and difficult question to answer. I think my first choice is Dave’s PI Audio Uber and the Uber Puerto AC receptacle. The noise reduction is excellent and this allows the other components to perform at their best. My second choice would be the Audio Hungary APR 204 tube preamp. Wonderful sound and a bargain with the discount that Charles gives.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 08:17:10 AM »
Well the heart of my system is my Apogee Duetta Sig's. The rest of the system is built around them. For what they compete against and what they cost me they would be a value leader.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 08:01:08 AM »
 Hard to say. Using Rethm Saadhana speakers, Audio Hungary SE15 18W mono blocks, Lamm Ref. preamp, Aqua Acoustic FormulaxHD DAC, Aqua La Diva transport, Innuos Zenith mk3 server, Kuzma Stobi TT and Stogi 12" adj. VTA arm. All sitting on SGR racks. Power conditioning is GigaWatt and Digibuss. Cables a mixed bag of TWL, Swiss cables and Audio Envy.
The most bang for the buck ?? My listening chair @ $150.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 09:14:23 AM »
Well the heart of my system is my Apogee Duetta Sig's. The rest of the system is built around them. For what they compete against and what they cost me they would be a value leader.

Bob, your system has a lot of value. Your TT is wonderful and your amp is another candidate.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 09:16:10 AM »
I would have to say my speakers since they are DIY. for what it cost me. But if not for that I say my Wells Audio power amp. Competes with the big boys in terms of SQ without the heavy price of admission.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 09:33:48 AM »
I can't tell you how many times I've bought a piece of audio gear with the full belief that it was a cornerstone piece that I'd keep forever.  Hah, never happens.   Technology changes, my musical needs change, this Nervosa kicks in, and, damn, time marches on.

I think the greatest value to me is my music collection and that has probably always been true - back when I had a big collection of reel-to-reel recordings, back when I focused on high-quality cassettes, back when I collected a lot of CDs (many from MoFi, XRCD, etc...), vinyl throughout (and still today), and now my rather large collection of FLAC albums with many hi-res 24 bit recordings that I listen to via Roon.   I've probably had many of the same albums in all formats.  So, the biggest VALUE to me (and likely the largest investment) is all the music I've collected, listened to, and discarded (tapes, cassettes and many CDs now) over the last 50+ years.   

But that just might make me a dinosaur given the numerous hi-res streaming services now available.  But hey, no regrets.  I love the music, and I've totally enjoyed collecting, cataloging and listening to all of it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:37:42 AM by mdconnelly »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »
  Great point and well said.  Nothing like a great collection of music. Like to add having the ability to play each format as it should. Meaning analog mastered recordings played back through analog. Digital mastered recordings played back on digital gear. Hi-Rez mastered [ DSD ] played back via DSD. No likey upsampled music.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »
The cardboard paper between my headshell and cartridge... that 100% of people I tell about to ignore. There's very few carts that have a work around for needing one - at any price level.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 06:47:21 PM »
I spent a good deal of time deliberating this question, but I think I've arrived at my answer. I believe the single component that exemplifies value (and quality, and performance, etc.) is my Don Sachs Model 2 preamp. It was this piece that really opened my eyes to what level is attainable in a home system. It propelled me into true audio nervosa status.

In one fell swoop, it turned me into a tube lover despite all the headaches and extra expense that tubes may present. It's portable enough that I was easily able to take it with me to various audio G2Gs in Oregon, Washington, B.C. and even Taiwan. Everyone who heard it in all the various systems were very impressed with its benefits and its musicality. My owning this preamp stimulated me to acquire equally impressive components to create a (in my opinion) a top tier home audio system without spending megabucks in the process. [I know. Everyone has a different interpretation of what megabucks are.]

The following components made it onto my list for consideration:

Folsom's Little Chip amp
dB Audiolabs Tranquility SE DAC
Daedalus Audio Apollo speakers
PI Audio UberBUSS
Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R speakers
Jeff Bagby's Adelphos speakers kit
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 08:28:12 PM »
First off, I'd have to agree with Mike, my greatest value is my music collection.After all, music is why we are all here in the first place, isn't it?

But since I think the original question was really intended to be limited to gear I am going to say that the greatest value in my system is not any piece of gear in particular, but rather the synergy that existed among the components. It is that synergy which makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 08:30:38 PM »
First off, I'd have to agree with Mike, my greatest value is my music collection.After all, music is why we are all here in the first place, isn't it?

But since I think the original question was really intended to be limited to gear I am going to say that the greatest value in my system is not any piece of gear in particular, but rather the synergy that existed among the components. It is that synergy which makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts.

:thumb:

Guy 13
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.