Author Topic: I think my System is virtually, finally finished  (Read 28810 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: I think my System is finally finished
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 11:33:46 PM »
An update on my personal stereo system.

Got the Modi 2 modified some months ago, to the point that I can upgrade it if one wishes. It is indeed world class.

My monoblocks, triode connected, are using Winged C KT-88s with Amperex orange, A frame, PQ 6dj8/Ecc88 made in Holland input/driver tube as reference. (Good luck finding Winged C KT-88s).

As such, I am working with different combinations of currently manufactured tubes to obtain the best quality sound, closest to my reference tubes, with prices people can afford.

This requires that I use two switches so I can find a new manufactured tube combination that "sounds" closest to my reference. The reference was obtain by special proprietary listening tests to make sure the amps do not alter the sonics of the input. (This same procedure was performed with my 10A and perfect 11A line preamplifiers when I was still active. I am retired now.)

Right now I am working with SED KT-88s and JJ 6dj8/Ecc88 tubes. Will report later on findings.

I am hoping this experiment will help others find a tube combo, reasonably priced, that can be made to sound awesome in their components, with some tweaking. Something worth trying that will not break the bank.

cheers
steve

Hi Steve,
Interesting you should mention the Modi 2 made by Schiit. A few years back, Jeff from Sonic Craft was quite enthusiastic on a Schiit dac mod, although I cant recall the model. I’m curious as to what was done to yours and the cost.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 05:01:11 PM »

Got the Modi 2 modified some months ago, to the point that I can upgrade it if one wishes. It is indeed world class.

My monoblocks, triode connected, are using Winged C KT-88s with Amperex orange, A frame, PQ 6dj8/Ecc88 made in Holland input/driver tube as reference. (Good luck finding Winged C KT-88s).

As such, I am working with different combinations of currently manufactured tubes to obtain the best quality sound, closest to my reference tubes, with prices people can afford.

This requires that I use two switches so I can find a new manufactured tube combination that "sounds" closest to my reference. The reference was obtain by special proprietary listening tests to make sure the amps do not alter the sonics of the input. (This same procedure was performed with my 10A and perfect 11A line preamplifiers when I was still active. I am retired now.)

Right now I am working with SED KT-88s and JJ 6dj8/Ecc88 tubes. Will report later on findings.

I am hoping this experiment will help others find a tube combo, reasonably priced, that can be made to sound awesome in their components, with some tweaking. Something worth trying that will not break the bank.

cheers
steve

Hi Steve,
Interesting you should mention the Modi 2 made by Schiit. A few years back, Jeff from Sonic Craft was quite enthusiastic on a Schiit dac mod, although I cant recall the model. I’m curious as to what was done to yours and the cost.
Nick

Thanks for the inquiy. The sound is so open (of course the speakers are totally gone), superlatives galore. I am not even interested in auditioning another expensive dac/player etc.

The mod included disassembly, working with the tiny pc board holes (working in static type conditions), out boarding output capacitors to Mundorf Supremes that customer purchased himself. Vampire all copper jacks, 6n pure copper wire from Jenalabs. Mount, fasten parts. ~2.5 hours labour since I have it down.

I am figuring ~$650.00 plus shipping/handling without the larger chassis. The customer would point me to the part number and I would order their chassis, or other part selection. Of course, I cannot guarantee the sound quality if they wish custom capacitors.

The photo below uses an old 17" x 10" x 3.5" aluminum chassis, used parts so I can test and easily make modifications. No hole drilled for USB cable. I assume one would want a much smaller chassis, although 2 1/2" minimum height chassis would be needed. Width and Length would be dependent upon layout. For example, the output capacitors could be run directly back from the dac, so the length could be half or less.

Cheers
steve
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:53:47 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 06:50:57 PM »

cheers
steve

Hi Steve,
Nick

Thanks for the inquiy. The sound is so open (of course the speakers are totally gone), superlatives galore. I am not even interested in auditioning another expensive dac/player etc.

The mod included disassembly, working with the tiny pc board holes (working in static type conditions), changing, out boarding output capacitors to Mundorf Supremes, poly a portion of the power supply (analog), Vampire all copper jacks, 6n pure copper wire from Jenalabs. Mount, fasten parts. ~2.5 hours labour since I have it down.

I am figuring ~$599.00 plus shipping/handling without the larger chassis. The customer would point me to the part number and I would order their chassis, or other part selection. Of course, I cannot guarantee the sound quality if they wish custom capacitors.

The photo below uses an old 17" x 10" x 3.5" aluminum chassis, used parts so I can test and easily make modifications. No hole drilled for USB cable. I assume one would want a much smaller chassis, although 2 1/2" minimum height chassis would be needed. Width and Length would be dependent upon layout. For example, the output capacitors could be run directly back from the dac, so the length could be half or less.

Cheers
steve

Thanks for that info, Steve. That’s a very nice price, especially because you think so highly of the sound. I was just on the Schiit website and wasn’t aware that they had so many products. I now recall that Jeff at Sonic Craft was so enthused over the modded Bifrost. My Border Patrol SE dac resolves beautifully, but I’d be quite curious how it compares to your Modi 2.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 01:19:50 PM »

cheers
steve

Hi Steve,
Nick

The mod included disassembly, working with the tiny pc board holes (working in static type conditions), out boarding output capacitors to Mundorf Supremes since customer purchased them, and since I am not using mine, etc.. Vampire all copper jacks, 6n pure copper wire from Jenalabs. Mount, fasten parts. ~2.5 hours labour since I have it down.

I am figuring ~$650.00 plus shipping/handling without the larger chassis. The customer would point me to the part number and I would order their chassis, or other part selection. Of course, I cannot guarantee the sound quality if they wish custom capacitors like my customer did.

Cheers
steve

Thanks for that info, Steve. That’s a very nice price, especially because you think so highly of the sound. I was just on the Schiit website and wasn’t aware that they had so many products. I now recall that Jeff at Sonic Craft was so enthused over the modded Bifrost. My Border Patrol SE dac resolves beautifully, but I’d be quite curious how it compares to your Modi 2.

I would not mind auditioning yours first if that is ok. I want to see just how close they compare in absolute terms.

Actually, I am using the best coupling cap on the planet (cap went extinct some years ago), but the Mundorf Supreme is a real close second. I would also have to rearrange the caps and button mine down before shipping.

cheers
steve
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:52:01 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 08:15:15 PM »

cheers
steve

Hi Steve,
Nick

The mod included disassembly, working with the tiny pc board holes (working in static type conditions), changing, out boarding output capacitors to Mundorf Supremes, poly a portion of the power supply (analog), Vampire all copper jacks, 6n pure copper wire from Jenalabs. Mount, fasten parts. ~2.5 hours labour since I have it down.

I am figuring ~$599.00 plus shipping/handling without the larger chassis. The customer would point me to the part number and I would order their chassis, or other part selection. Of course, I cannot guarantee the sound quality if they wish custom capacitors.

Cheers
steve

I would not mind auditioning yours first if that is ok. I want to see just how close they compare in absolute terms.

Actually, I am using the best coupling cap on the planet (cap went extinct some years ago), but the Mundorf Supreme is a real close second. I would also have to rearrange the caps and button mine down before shipping.

cheers
steve

Steve,
I just sent you a PM. As I’ve heard of you since Marty DeWulf was writing Bound for Sound many years ago, I’d very much enjoy your thoughts. Marty raved about your 11A preamp.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2020, 08:52:33 PM »

cheers
steve

Hi Steve,
Nick

Cheers
steve

cheers
steve

Steve,
I just sent you a PM. As I’ve heard of you since Marty DeWulf was writing Bound for Sound many years ago, I’d very much enjoy your thoughts. Marty raved about your 11A preamp.
Nick

Thank you Nick. Sent pm with address. I will take care and will post my thoughts. Yes, both Martin DeWulf and Rich Weiner from Bound for Sound purchased an 11A for each of their reference systems.

The 10A line preamp was one of only three that made the "Exceptional Merit" list of BFS.

Cheers and great week.
steve

ps. BFS did not accept any advertising.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:13:39 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 09:50:03 AM »
ha ha he said over ha ha  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 02:18:37 PM »

Well, I did do one thing this past week. I bypassed my speaker xover  capacitor with a 190pf capacitor.

Secondly, I do need to make my speakers more attractive.

cheers   :D
steve
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:41:33 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2020, 09:55:20 PM »

Well, I did do one thing this past week. I bypassed my speaker xover  capacitor with a 190pf capacitor.

Secondly, I do need to make my speakers more attractive.

cheers   :D
steve

I am eating crow. I adjusted the 190pf cap to 150pf polystyrene capacitor shunted across a 100uf
polypropylene capacitor. 

I also added one 18 gauge solid wire to the ten 18 gauge solid wires to the "red" speaker lead, while the black speaker lead still uses ten 18 gauge wires. (Coloring the speaker leads makes the explanation simpler to me.) This tiny adjustment is similar to my 1 millionth ohm pot adjustment, and adjusting speaker toe in of 0,5mm or less.

Although each of the three super fine adjustments affects the sonics differently, each also demonstrates the sensitivity of the audio system.

We will see how this adjustment works over time. 

steve
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:05:27 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 05:34:44 AM »
I don't see how a 190pf cap could materially affect the SQ of the crossover. I've been designing and building for years and my experience has been that generally you need a cap of significant percentage to improve the SQ. I have tried using a 0.22uf cap in parallel with a 7 uf cap and didn't really notice. Some publications say it needs to approach 50% of the total value.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:41:32 AM by jimbones »
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2020, 10:35:30 PM »
I don't see how a 190pf cap could materially affect the SQ of the crossover. I've been designing and building for years and my experience has been that generally you need a cap of significant percentage to improve the SQ. I have tried using a 0.22uf cap in parallel with a 7 uf cap and didn't really notice. Some publications say it needs to approach 50% of the total value.

There are several reasons. Also those "rules of thumb" one often sees on forums are almost always inaccurate.

1. The venue might be, maybe one. No obvious echos.

2. The best, most accurate/natural sounding capacitors have been extinct for some years due to improper "testing" and "comparisons", individual and article capacitor comparisons alike, and then posting their results on audio forums. So what you have are 2nd rate caps these days.

3. Not the best designs, which includes values, ratings, biasing etc. A few equations won't design a
preamplifier or amplifier. It takes a whole lot more than that.

4. No one has developed or seems to use any specialized listening tests to determine if their resultant product is actually accurate across the audio frequency range. Claims of sounding good, "to die for" 
really means little,,, and compared to what.

That 150pf bypass cap affects the ultrasonic frequencies, thus rise time (attack time). The ultra sonic response affects everything down to the bass in a top notch system when masking is minimal to non existent.

By the way, the crossover capacitor is over 530,000 times larger than the 150pf cap. That information tells us how sensitive my speakers are, the lack of masking is incredible. Another way of putting it, there is virtually no sonic signature.

There are several changes that we can correlate.

A. Rotating my test speakers by 0,5mm is perceptible, tonal balance, sound stage etc.

B. One millionth of an ohm resistance change with a variable speaker control, tonal balance perception, sound stage etc.

C. the number of 5 foot speaker wires in parallel per speaker leg. My last adjustment was 10 parallel wires in one leg and 9 parallel wires in the other leg.

D. ~100pf capacitor in parallel with ~100uf capacitor. I am using ~ values due to proprietary reasons.

Update, after some tweaking with an inductor (about 1" more wire was added to a turn). Will continue to test over the
entire audio band.

The result in my lab setting is a system with virtually no sonic signature, and total natural accuracy to the source.
The remaining limitation is the recording due to inferior electronics.

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 05:37:48 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 03:01:22 PM »
Well, a customer purchased and sent me a Supra usb cable as a present, and I am testing it.
It made a difference and is a superior usb cable, more live sounding than the double shielded gold plated
plug cable I was using.

The realism of the instruments and voices, the transparency is mind blowing.

steve
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:02:02 AM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2020, 05:25:18 PM »
Well, a customer purchased and sent me a Supra usb cable as a present, and I am testing it.
It made a difference and is a superior usb cable, more live sounding than the double shielded gold plated
plug cable I was using.

The realism of the instruments and voices, the transparency is mind blowing.

steve

I did not know if I could do it, but I have improved my super upgraded Modi 2 by using multiple caps in parallel in certain areas. The highs are cleaner, the cymbals are a little more whispy, light, airy, better clarity and attack times. The upgrade further separated my world class Modi 2 from what I previously reviewed it against.

cheers
steve

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 05:43:05 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2020, 01:50:44 PM »
  Done ?? Never done. With your knowledge and building talent you never will be done.  Just saying. There is always that variable that we want to try. Modding inexpensive gear is fun sometimes with good results sometimes not . Hence the chase. Have fun.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2020, 06:27:56 AM »
See my sig line ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...