Author Topic: DIY roller blocks??  (Read 29957 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: DIY roller blocks??
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 06:48:43 PM »
  All good suggestions however a goal is required. Do you want to isolate, drain, dampen or dissipate energy from the the component. Devices are designed for each category. Iso Blocks well Isolate. Sorbathane soaks up vibrations, Cones transfer vibrations. There are brass cones, wood cones, composite cones.

charles

Charles,
My goal is to squeeze out maximum performance of the gear that I’m using right now. I don’t know what to expect getting into this area of anti-vibration technology. After I’m done with the vibration control, I will move on to acoustic treatment. That’s another area that I’ve never gotten into.

It would be nice to have this result in more detail retrieval, a slightly cleaner presentation,  maybe a slight improvement in bass presentation. I currently don’t have a CD player and I’m never going back to one. I am streaming only 100% nowadays. I realize that the different products isolate, dampen, drain etc. I’m trying to get it clear in my mind as to which of my components would function better with which of these anti-vibration devices. My entire house is concrete slab and the engineered flooring in the living room listening area has a very thin rubber? backing. So this is a quite solid floor.

I am also wondering if I should replace my Pangea rack with some thing like a VTI that has the spikes that provide isolation for each shelf. I’m willing to spend five or 600 bucks on a new audio rack. Lots to think about right now....

OK then. Speaker location will affect and improve bass production. IMHO I would do the room first. Everything you described can be attained with an acoustically treated room. Requires a spectrum analyzer to measure. Consult with a room treatment vendor and be happier. As far as the rack is concerned that may be a sideways move for now. Tubes like draining and absorbing. DAC isolation, streamer isolation. BTW consider improved power supplies for your digital as well as a Digibuss.

charles

Charles,

You know way more about this than stuff than I do. But I’m thinking of leaving room treatments for last because.... Dave and his buddy Greg looked at pics of my very strange and asymmetrical room many months ago and their comments weren’t encouraging.

The Auralic Mini Streamer already has the Mojo Audio linear power supply.... a very good power supply and worth the improvement.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2021, 06:50:51 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pack-Anti-Vibration-Pads-rubber-cork-2-x-2-x-7-8-HVAC-COMPRESSOR-/190770569459

Still pricey @$12.95, but...
I bought a box of those, mounted some concave drawer pulls in them, and put a ball bearing in it.  That sits under a cutting board and my turntable. 

What an interesting and inexpensive  idea  :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2021, 07:42:26 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pack-Anti-Vibration-Pads-rubber-cork-2-x-2-x-7-8-HVAC-COMPRESSOR-/190770569459

I bought a box of those, mounted some concave drawer pulls in them, and put a ball bearing in it.  That sits under a cutting board and my turntable. 

Yeah, they have those at Lowes.  For a selection of balls go here:

https://www.vxb.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwo-aCBhC-ARIsAAkNQitFg0cp0NiAp1Bmno1pG-u-1cB9Vmwy2Aq7Z6nrQGB-kR2j7FP5uN8aAj7dEALw_wcB

Gee, I wish I had that link before I retired. I worked for quite a few bosses and executives that could have used a good set of balls.   :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2021, 07:55:12 PM »

https://www.vxb.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwo-aCBhC-ARIsAAkNQitFg0cp0NiAp1Bmno1pG-u-1cB9Vmwy2Aq7Z6nrQGB-kR2j7FP5uN8aAj7dEALw_wcB

Gee, I wish I had that link before I retired. I worked for quite a few bosses and executives that could have used a good set of balls.   :rofl:

Umm, think I’ll refrain from further comment  :rofl:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2021, 10:44:46 AM »

Indeed!  The gutsiest boss I ever had was a woman...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2021, 11:20:50 AM »
Nick if you want to just your toes into the isolation world check out Mapleshade Isoblocks. They only cost $36 for a set of four. But in reality they are actually a very common part in the commercial air conditioning world that is used under Central air compressor units to dispute vibration and lower the operating noise. If you have any kind of HVAC supply house near you print outa picture of them and bring it to th counter and I am sure they will be able to hook you up. I paid 21 cents a piece for mine.  Mapleshade glues two of them together and sells them for $9, and even that is a pretty much unheard of price for anything in this hobby.

I use stacks of two under all of my tube gear because it has top and bottom vents and the extra clearance off the deck helps them draft and dissipate heat better.

They came two ways, a natural cork center and a center of some kind of composite material. They sounded slightly different and I liked the cork better.  However the difference was slight and iboth were better than nothing. If I did not have then to compare head to head I would have easily been happy with either one. But they are cheap enough that you could buy both and see for yourself.

And being as neurotic as I am I took both sets out side with a sound pressure meter and measured what changes were caused by putting them under my AC unit. The spec sheets said that the blue composite ones provided more damping but I could not measure any different. The both lowered the noise from the unit but abot 3db. Not bad for a $1.26 investment (I used 6 of them u deftness A/C.) I left the blue ones in place not because they did a better job, but rather because I thought the composite material would hold up to the weather better than the natural cork.

I have to credit the Pumpkin man for turning me on to these little gems.

I am sure there are products out there that can do a better job, but not at a price that is anywhere near 21 cents.

Tom,

I just did a screenshot and will find an hvac supply place. 21 cents each is my kind of cheap experiment. A friend brought these over (the double glued cork type) 3-4 years ago and put them under my components. Took them back next time he visited. I never did a direct a/b, but my system now resolves much, much better than back in those days. So I’ll be quite curious.

Not sure where to start, but probably under my preamp.

To get the 21 cents price you gotta buy bulk.   I bought a box of these from this supplier:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-VPE-200-E-V-A-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

Here's the other version with cork center:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-VPRC-200-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

Just shows you what crooks some of these high-end vendors are.  For a set of 4 (8 pieces) MS charges more than 16X the material cost!      :roll:

I just ordered a bunch of these as I’ll try them under speakers and all components. Only thing of concern is a couple of comments about the smell...supposedly will be here by Friday
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2021, 06:38:13 PM »
They are pretty smelly. 

I use them in obvious places to knock down vibrations: 

*  between the BB platforms my two turntables sit on and the rack's butcher block shelving
*  between my subs and BB slabs they sit on  (subs came without feet or spikes)
*  under the monitors that sit on a wooden dresser in my BR system

My 150 lb floorstanders (designed to be used without spikes, and none included) sit on carpetting.  But if they sat on wood floors, I'd try the blocks under them as well -- just to keep LF energy / vibrations from travelling thru the floors.

Also use them anywhere I want to create space between stacked gear, and to prop up heavy power cords at the IEC outlets.  Limitless uses.  So many in a box...and so cheap.....I just use them.  Even for non sonic purposes like propping and spacing, etc.

Do they improve the sound?  Damned if I know.  I don't get anal about this tweeky stuff, and I sure as hell don't A/B with and without.  So long as I don't hear a detriment upon insertion, I go with it.  My attitude is use it "just in case" it does improve things.   
I can say this....
I can jump up and down in front of both tables, and I can knuckle wrap pretty hard on my DIY rack and neither table skips a beat.  Also passes with flying colors the standard Fremer tap test with needle in groove of non-rotating platter.  And my subs don't rattle and rumble thru the floors, keeping my neighbors happy.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 07:27:23 PM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2021, 07:39:48 PM »
They are pretty smelly. 

I use them in obvious places to knock down vibrations: 

*  between the BB platforms my two turntables sit on and the rack's butcher block shelving
*  between my subs and BB slabs they sit on  (subs came without feet or spikes)
*  under the monitors that sit on a wooden dresser in my BR system

My 150 lb floorstanders (designed to be used without spikes, and none included) sit on carpetting.  But if they sat on wood floors, I'd try the blocks under them as well -- just to keep LF energy / vibrations from travelling thru the floors.

Also use them anywhere I want to create space between stacked gear, and to prop up heavy power cords at the IEC outlets.  Limitless uses.  So many in a box...and so cheap.....I just use them.  Even for non sonic purposes like propping and spacing, etc.

Do they improve the sound?  Damned if I know.  I don't get anal about this tweeky stuff, and I sure as hell don't A/B with and without.  So long as I don't hear a detriment upon insertion, I go with it.  My attitude is use it "just in case" it does improve things.   
I can say this....
I can jump up and down in front of both tables, and I can knuckle wrap pretty hard on my DIY rack and neither table skips a beat.  Also passes with flying colors the standard Fremer tap test with needle in groove of non-rotating platter.  And my subs don't rattle and rumble thru the floors, keeping my neighbors happy.

Well, I didn’t pay much, so it’s worth a try. I bought enough to try between stands and speakers and all components. If they’re too smelly, I may try the cork type. With all the synthetics and petroleum based products, I pay some attention to indoor pollution as well.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2021, 07:49:44 AM »
My point exactly.  So cheap, not much to lose by trying them.

The smell does dissipate, but I started using mine immediately and it took a while.  Maybe try airing them out first?  Remove them from the box and spread them out in the open air: back deck, porch, garage, etc.  Maybe even blow a fan across them? Worth a shot.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 08:37:45 AM by toobluvr »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2021, 09:06:05 AM »
My point exactly.  So cheap, not much to lose by trying them.

The smell does dissipate, but I started using mine immediately and it took a while.  Maybe try airing them out first?  Remove them from the box and spread them out in the open air: back deck, porch, garage, etc.  Maybe even blow a fan across them? Worth a shot.

I will put them outside for a day at least and use a fan.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2021, 09:18:26 AM »
One other thing....

Sometimes they leave a black mark on what it rests on.  So if you have nice furniture I suggest putting a piece of paper under the pad.

In my situation, it doesn't do it on everything.  Mainly on my BB boards and shelves.   I think maybe it depends on how the surface is finished, and somehow interacts with the rubber?   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 09:59:11 AM by toobluvr »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2021, 01:05:24 PM »
One other thing....

Sometimes they leave a black mark on what it rests on.  So if you have nice furniture I suggest putting a piece of paper under the pad.

In my situation, it doesn't do it on everything.  Mainly on my BB boards and shelves.   I think maybe it depends on how the surface is finished, and somehow interacts with the rubber?

Thanks for that info. My Pangea rack has a nice carbon fiber finish and I also wouldn’t want to mar the beautiful walnut finish on the bottom of my Fritzies. Think I may cut some baggies...
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2021, 01:11:41 PM »
One other thing....

Thanks for that info. My Pangea rack has a nice carbon fiber finish and I also wouldn’t want to mar the beautiful walnut finish on the bottom of my Fritzies. Think I may cut some baggies...
Nick

That will work, as will anything you put between the pad and surface to protect.  Personally, I would just put masking tape on the pad.  Probably the easiest and quickest installation.  And it moves with the pad as you adjust its location under the gear, unlike something like a piece of paper.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 01:13:48 PM by toobluvr »

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2021, 06:14:32 PM »
One other thing....

Nick

That will work, as will anything you put between the pad and surface to protect.  Personally, I would just put masking tape on the pad.  Probably the easiest and quickest installation.  And it moves with the pad as you adjust its location under the gear, unlike something like a piece of paper.
Yup.

In the past when there were finish/gooey pad reactions, I used tissue paper as an interface. I like three idea of an incredibly thin barrier.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2021, 08:18:48 PM »
One other thing....

Nick

That is a simpler way of doing it. Baggie idea is discarded.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS