Author Topic: V-cap Teflon  (Read 7843 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
V-cap Teflon
« on: August 10, 2007, 08:06:14 AM »
Anyone tried the V-cap teflons? Well they are not cheap but this has to be the most nrutral and dynamic cap I ever used. It does everything just so right. They take 450 Hrs to fully break in. So if you have a cable break in device use it to break in caps. It takes 21 days to do so .
        To date the V-caps have surpassed Auri, Mundorf Silver/oil, silver/gold and Hovland. If you have the scratch go for these caps, you will not regret the expense once broken in and playing.
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: V-cap Teflon
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 12:27:16 PM »
I am going to replace the factory Jensen paper and oil caps in the signal path of my BAT VK 60 tube amplifier with V-Cap teflons of the same value....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:46:30 PM »
Depending on how it works out for you Bunky, I may try it on my Cary integrated.

jrebman

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 03:10:09 PM »
Rollo,

Glad to hear this worked out well in your application, and yes, V-caps (either flavor) are wonderful (I've used both) but may not always be the right fit for best overall synergy of any given system.

Sonicap Platinums are also wonderful, a little less expensive and have a little more air on the top end, where V-caps tend to have slightly sweeter mids -- and I emphasize *slightly* as both caps are truly excellent.  Then there's the new cap in town -- the MWI MOIP caps (and maybe teflons too?) and these appear to be getting a serious look from some experienced people.

Also, I don't think that a teflon cap is always the best choice -- it all gets back to synergy and what type of voicing you are looking for.  I can imagine for example, that a teflon cap in certain vintage pieces would totaly change the voicing to something that may not be compatible with the other components or the signature sound of the original.

I also probably wouldn't use a cable burn-in device for caps -- it's not a realistic, real-world music signal, is most likely not at the correct level, depending on where the cap is used, and just seems like a bad idea to me.  I think if this were to be a beneficial way of breaking in these caps the manufacturers would be building large break-in devices and running the caps in before selling them, because who wants to sit around for 600 - 1000 hours for them to fully form?

Sorry, but no matter how good a part, piece of gear, etc., blanket "this is the best" recommendations always leave me a little skeptical.

-- Jim

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 07:05:44 AM »
When a friend of mine modded his pre, he ended up using BOTH flavors of V-Caps in it.  The Teflons were used as the tube coupling caps while the OIMPs were used as the output caps.  A very nice combination of warmth and detail. 

IMO, all OIMPs or all Teflons would have been too much in one direction.

When I did mine (same pre), the manufacturer had changed the coupling caps to Mundorf Supremes.  I left those in place and did the OIMPs for the outputs and in my system, I have no desire to change the others at that point.

I'll agree that it depends on the system, your taste, your desired voicing, etc.  The Teflons are probably the most neutral caps I've heard.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 07:59:29 AM »
When a friend of mine modded his pre, he ended up using BOTH flavors of V-Caps in it.  The Teflons were used as the tube coupling caps while the OIMPs were used as the output caps.  A very nice combination of warmth and detail. 

IMO, all OIMPs or all Teflons would have been too much in one direction.

When I did mine (same pre), the manufacturer had changed the coupling caps to Mundorf Supremes.  I left those in place and did the OIMPs for the outputs and in my system, I have no desire to change the others at that point.

I'll agree that it depends on the system, your taste, your desired voicing, etc.  The Teflons are probably the most neutral caps I've heard.

Bryan

Could not agree more. Good post.

rollo
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 09:58:14 AM »
Love those V caps. Threw them in a M520 integrated along with some Blackgates in the power supply and transformed that amp into something very special.
 Alex Yeung is designing some 160 watt tube monoblocks and the V caps are being used in them. We will be showing with Bolder Cable at RMAF using the new V60 speakers from VMPS. Can't wait to hear this combination together. The first prototype has been built and now the second ones are being built as some changes were made and new tooling had to be developed. I'm hoping to have thenm in the house by Mid September and break them in for the show.
The V caps are pricey for sure but IMHO are the caps to use regardless.
 I'll post a few photos once they are completed if thats ok to do.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 11:32:03 AM »
The V caps are pricey for sure but IMHO are the caps to use regardless.
 I'll post a few photos once they are completed if thats ok to do.
OK? It's encouraged!  You have your own photo gallery linked to your id, please put as many photos as you want in it.

Just click on the little camera icon under any user's avatar and you'll see your gallery.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 05:31:46 AM »
Well just recieved a pair of .47 and .10 Teflon V-caps for the Consonance Cyber 211's. They will be replacing the stock Auri caps. Let you know how it turns out.
       Using the cable burn in device to break in new caps was recommended to me by Steve Rochlin of Enjoy the Music and it works well. He uses an old Duotech unit.

rollo

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 05:53:44 AM »
Besides filtering and storing energy, my brain seems to think that caps:

eliminate DC offset?
reduce output impedence?

Anything else?

Is it safe to swap in any cap rated same as the original, no matter what the construction type, as long as it will fit ;) ?

Thanks
Rich

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 06:15:31 PM by richidoo »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 03:40:35 PM »
Besides filtering and storing energy, my brain seems to think that caps caps:

eliminate DC offset?
reduce output impedence?

Anything else?

Is it safe to swap in any cap rated same as the original, no matter what the construction type, as long as it will fit ;) ?

Thanks 

Si senor

rollo
Rich

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 03:53:51 PM »
Hi Rich,

You are right, it will eliminate the DC offset problem.

As far as output Z, it depends on what the circumstances are. If the replacement cap is larger than the original cap, the output Z will lower, depending on how much larger the replacement cap is. If the cap is replacing DC coupling (to rid of DC offset voltage), the output Z will rise, especially as the frequency lowers.

Hope this helps Rich.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 09:40:16 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 10:35:03 AM »
Well the V-caps are in the Amp. There is no going back for me. What a difference. Everything is just better. Clarity with soul best describes the sound. They are not cheap,but worth their weight in gold IMO.

Chris at VH Audio. THANK YOU. You wre 1005 correct about these caps. A major breakthrough indeed.

rollo

Offline Bunky

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 03:52:31 PM »
Well the V-caps are in the Amp. There is no going back for me. What a difference. Everything is just better. Clarity with soul best describes the sound. They are not cheap,but worth their weight in gold IMO.

Chris at VH Audio. THANK YOU. You wre 1005 correct about these caps. A major breakthrough indeed.

rollo
The V-cap TFTF's are amazing and a bargain considering how well they perform!
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa