Author Topic: Your opinion please- amplifiers of tomorrow  (Read 2026 times)

Online Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
Your opinion please- amplifiers of tomorrow
« on: March 12, 2020, 12:00:35 PM »
I just posted this on A.C. and it was immediately removed. I only want to know people's opinions. I'm not promoting anything.

Will keep this as simple As possible. As manufacturers move forward in this era of Class D and Hybrid amplifiers, do you think there is still call for new, unique DHT amplifiers?
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Your opinion please- amplifiers of tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 03:04:47 PM »
I think this really depends on the market. Personally I don't think very any classD/Hybrids come remotely close to the sound. But there's a flip side, a lot of people haven't heard a DHT amplifier so they don't know better.

Do you have any classD/hybrid designs coming up? Do you want to have offerings like that?

Also, how long till you dive into the video realm?

Online Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 03:50:16 PM »
Hi Folsom.
Yes, we do have a Class D Hybrid design that uses a 300B or 2A3 front end tbat I have been running in my system for some time. Purity Audio does not normally do things conventionally. We removed it from our offerings at the moment due to availability issues with the Class D power section we were using.

We have a unique design that is an integrated 300B amplifier but the input stage is based on the 300B as well. Unfortunately this product is big and heavy (at least for a 300B amp) due to each stage having its own tube power supply.  But the sound  :drool:

Video realm? What do you mean by this?
We will be coming out with videos on our products if thats what you mean. We will have a video on each page describing the product and and one for a video version of the manual.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:00:24 PM by Response Audio »
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline Folsom

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 07:10:33 PM »
Showing up on YouTube is a good thing these days. There are some reviewers, too. (some I wouldn't deal with, as well).

I'm not sure where things are going sometimes.

Offline dBe

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 08:40:11 PM »
DHT amplifiers (including preamps) are magical.  Does the world need another one or nine?  It all depends on what it is and the implementation.

My favorite amplifiers were the Cary 572SEMkII that graced my listening room for 5 years.  The 572 supply was iffy and I sold them instead of stocking up on tubes.  What a dumbass  :duh.

The 572 was no 300B, but it was muscular with great bass, and generally excellent sound.  When Cary discontinued them the affordable high power DH-SET vanished.  Too bad.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 09:32:54 PM »
I think there will continue to be interest in these. As Folsom said, doing videos and getting into YouTube is a great idea. I prefer videos when I’m interested in learning about products.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS