Author Topic: Tidal on the ropes again?  (Read 8715 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Tidal on the ropes again?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »
Thanks for the financial information. The numbers are fascinating and the amounts per play are much smaller than I thought.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 09:04:50 PM »
The real money is in the bonus royalties. If a song becomes a hit, or a standard (Christmas music) or a movie soundtrack, or played on TV, etc then you get more money per play. If it does all of the above you are sitting pretty. Plus there are other ways a songwriter gets paid royalties beside airplay.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 06:14:32 AM »

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 06:25:59 AM »
Sure. Just when I sold my PS Audio transport and committed 100% to streaming :shock:

Qobuz is coming soon. Anyone use Deezer?

Would you pay $40 a month?
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 06:33:15 AM »
Was playing Tidal last night and it was great. Not only great sound from the kefs, but heard so much new material on Tidal. It would be a shame for these guys to go under. As to Quobuz, I’m quite curious about it, but not sure Roon has an agreement with them.

Wouldn’t want to pay more than $25 a month fo4 streaming.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 07:27:46 AM »
Sure. Just when I sold my PS Audio transport and committed 100% to streaming :shock:

I have tried all 3 - Qobuz, Deezer and Tidal.  I have not done any sound quality comparison but I found both Qobuz and Deezer to have better selection especially classical and international artists.  The one thing that I hate about Tidal the most is the constant push for rab/hiphop music. 

For guys who have Bluesound or Sonos you can get Deezer hifi streaming for ~15 bucks - https://www.deezer.com/us/offers/?referer=sonos.  Hifi streaming is also available if you use their desktop app and Logitech Media Server with ickstream plugin.  For Qobuz, you will initially have to sign up using VPN for one of the European region (for folks with English language only, me included) the cheapest options is if you sign up via Ireland Qobuz.  If you sign up via the UK site you end up paying in GBP v/s Euro for the Irish site.

I plan to turn one of my Pi as LMS server strictly as a streaming platform, since with ickStream you can get access to all 3 services.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 08:13:16 AM »

I have tried all 3 - Qobuz, Deezer and Tidal.  I have not done any sound quality comparison but I found both Qobuz and Deezer to have better selection especially classical and international artists.  The one thing that I hate about Tidal the most is the constant push for rab/hiphop music. 

For guys who have Bluesound or Sonos you can get Deezer hifi streaming for ~15 bucks - https://www.deezer.com/us/offers/?referer=sonos.  Hifi streaming is also available if you use their desktop app and Logitech Media Server with ickstream plugin.  For Qobuz, you will initially have to sign up using VPN for one of the European region (for folks with English language only, me included) the cheapest options is if you sign up via Ireland Qobuz.  If you sign up via the UK site you end up paying in GBP v/s Euro for the Irish site.

I plan to turn one of my Pi as LMS server strictly as a streaming platform, since with ickStream you can get access to all 3 services.

Good to know. As I may well dump my Auralic because of it’s pita indiosynchricies, it’s good to have other options including Bluesound. I have no idea how my Tidal signal gets to me, but you have no concerns about latency? If you signed up via Ireland and the currency is in Euros I believe, how do you transact the payment?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 09:10:17 AM »
Good to know. As I may well dump my Auralic because of it’s pita indiosynchricies, it’s good to have other options including Bluesound. I have no idea how my Tidal signal gets to me, but you have no concerns about latency? If you signed up via Ireland and the currency is in Euros I believe, how do you transact the payment?

The brief time that I used Qobuz and Deezer I had no latency issues.  Now Tidal is a different story, even with a Gigabit Fios connection.  I never made any payment, I just signed up for the free trial but the payment options had both credit card and paypal.  They will do the conversion from Euro to USD for you.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 11:08:43 AM »
Question for Bluesound node owners.  Does the Bluesound have an option to send the stream to a UPnP renderer or is it strictly out either via spdif or analog only?

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »

The brief time that I used Qobuz and Deezer I had no latency issues.  Now Tidal is a different story, even with a Gigabit Fios connection.  I never made any payment, I just signed up for the free trial but the payment options had both credit card and paypal.  They will do the conversion from Euro to USD for you.

Yes, Tidal is a problem sometimes. But I like Roon, so there aren’t any other options right now and Roon seems unlikely to be able to partner with the other streaming services. Worst case, I ditch Roon and may try Quobuz or Deezer.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 06:03:01 AM »
I tried Tidal with Roon about a year or so ago.   I was quite impressed but ultimately let my subscription lapse.   Maybe just the dinosaur in me, but I enjoy buying new music and expanding my own library.   Tidal HiFi is a bit pricey but I notice they give a nice discount to students and military.   Now if they would include a senior discount, I'd jump back in  :thumb:

I have seen rumors in the Roon forums that Qobuz may be working with Roon on a future integration - but perhaps just wishful thinking.   I'm certain Roon would love to expand streaming services beyond just Tidal, but they had no luck doing so with Spotify.   Not sure if Deezer is a possibility.   I think Qobuz would be a great match for Roon, but not holding my breath.