Author Topic: Optical cable recommendations  (Read 7008 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Optical cable recommendations
« on: June 11, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »
I have to replace a cheapo toslink cable. Anyone have experience with optical cables that can give recommendations?

Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

DaveC

Re: Optical cable recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »
Yeah, go with a cable that uses glass fibers rather than plastic.  :thumb:

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »
Hi Jim

If you want to go with an optical cable this one is built well and my favorite if I can't use a digital coax cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Ft-Toslink-Glass-Digital-Audio/dp/B001D1A8KM

Here is a budget one from Monoprice that I use for my video game system. Works fine but like DaveC said get a glass Toslink cable if you can.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022904&p_id=2763&seq=1&format=2

Blue Jeans Cable offers a nice Toslink cable too but I don't remember how it sounded in my HT system. It was built well though. Better than the monoprice one.

Optical Digital Audio Cable: Mitsubishi Eska POF

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm?PHPSESSID=8c188c0317b738e490d719c29b8cab15

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »
Hi Jim

If you want to go with an optical cable this one is built well and my favorite if I can't use a digital coax cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Ft-Toslink-Glass-Digital-Audio/dp/B001D1A8KM

I'm using this same cable to get digital audio out of my TV with Netflix into my HT setup and it works like a charm.   But, admittedly, I have no idea if the high-priced glass toslink cables sound better compared to it.

DaveC

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »
/\ That IS the high end glass cable!  :-P

I also have the exact same one going from my CDP to DAC, but mostly use the computer these days.

I have not tried lots of different toslink cables but I did think the Amazon glass cable was better than a cheap plastic cable I had. This was MANY years ago now!

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 04:34:09 PM »
Hmmm, ok so there's no reason to get something "audiophile" like an audio quest? I think the cinnamon was reasonably priced like $80
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 06:41:12 AM »
Hmmm, ok so there's no reason to get something "audiophile" like an audio quest? I think the cinnamon was reasonably priced like $80

Hi Jim

One guy to maybe query on the more expensive Toslink cables is Williewonka here. He has reviewed the DH Labs Toslink and may have also use the more "audiophile" optical cables like the AQ Cinnamon.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rcabl&1327979149&&&/DH-Labs-toslink-Optical-Cable-Interconne

For me the parts of my system that required Toslink cables weren't that important to where they would warrant a more expensive "audiophile" version. That and I was really happy with the Unique glass optical cable that I got. I didn't want to make a change.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »
ordered

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 01:15:22 PM »
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 05:28:58 AM »
Got to hand it to Dean, great recommendation on the optical cable. It worked. The old toslinl I had must have been cheap and/or defective. I inspected the ends on the new one and they are polished smooth. I get no drop out or static. I did compare (quickly) aginst the SPDIF and there is a volume level difference that make comparing a bit difficult but I do believe the SPIDIF is clearer. Thanks Sleep Dean  :)

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 06:42:55 AM »
Hey Jim

No problem at all. Lots of threads here and the members have helped me. I'm happy I was able to reciprocate. I'm relieved the cable is working out for you. Re-sale wouldn't be too bad too just in case if you don't like the toslink cable after break-in or when you compare it to the digital coax.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 06:50:44 AM »
You mean even optical cables burn in  :shock:

williewonka

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »
My 2 cents worth...

I've tried cables from Chord, Van den Hul and a variety of others from Best Buy and the like over the years

I stopped searching once I bought the DH Labs cable. It was so good I purchased a 2 meter cable for my AV system, which just confirmed their outstanding abilities.

And they are very reasonably priced

They have one of the highest throughput ratings of >150 Mbs compared to 50Mbs of the Chord and 100 Mbs of the VDH

I don't get dropouts anymore, just outstanding music

:thumb:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 09:02:22 PM »
You mean even optical cables burn in  :shock:

If not the cables, I am sure there will be some kind of burn-in on the optical transmitter and receiver circuits at either end since you basically had not used them much, if at all in the past.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables