Author Topic: DIY roller blocks??  (Read 29976 times)

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
Re: DIY roller blocks??
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2021, 02:42:19 PM »
[
It's the blue part the cork and rubber parts don't smell.

Not sure about that.  Mine are several years old and well aired-out such that they don't stink up the room anymore.

When I sniff the ridged black rubber part, it stinks.  When I sniff the flat blue part on the side, no smell.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 02:50:19 PM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2021, 03:55:24 PM »
[
It's the blue part the cork and rubber parts don't smell.

Not sure about that.  Mine are several years old and well aired-out such that they don't stink up the room anymore.

When I sniff the ridged black rubber part, it stinks.  When I sniff the flat blue part on the side, no smell.

Just got home and I’m about to scrub one down as you suggested
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2021, 04:20:35 PM »
Doubt it's gonna work, but worth a shot..... nothing to lose.

Good Luck!    :thumb:
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2021, 05:50:34 PM »
Doubt it's gonna work, but worth a shot..... nothing to lose.

Good Luck!    :thumb:

I was hoping it would be the smell of a mold release substance, but not so. Anyway, was worth a try. And you are right...it is the black rubber part, not the blue, that smells
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2021, 02:48:06 PM »
Herbie’s dots arrived today. Will put under the speakers later tonight  :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2021, 06:05:06 PM »
The Herbie’s Fat Dots are in place under the speakers and I’ll fire things up in a few hours. I did want to get suggestions on a couple more things.

I like my Pangea rack and the legs are cone shaped at the bottom and have the factory supplied hard wood protectant cups. Has anyone used the Herbie’s Cone/Spike Puckies on their rack? These Puckies are available in brass, stainless steel and titanium. Titanium is an extra $28 for 4. Would I really hear a difference between those materials? Don’t know if it’s necessary to venture into that rabbit hole, but am open to it...

Also, my B & W speaker stands currently have threaded rods with a white rubber cap to protect the floor. Would it be a good idea to use threaded spikes and then use the same Puckies for this application? Herbie’s also makes available an extra thick version of the Puckies

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2021, 07:35:43 PM »
Well, even with things cold, the improvement is so very, very nice 👍🎶🎶
Quite a significant improvement in resolution. Love that improved texture  :thumb:
These are songs I’m exceedingly familiar with and there are multiple elements that are popping out at me. Not sure how to describe it, but there are multiple “sub-layers” of information appearing. Quite stunning, really. To think, it would have been so easy to chase after “better”, more expensive gear rather than just allowing the best to appear from what I have.

I’m looking forward to completing the rest so I can start with basic room treatments.
I’m reevaluating my opinion now on the quality of those early A/D transfers   :roll:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2021, 10:19:12 PM »
Quite a significant improvement in resolution. Love that improved texture  :thumb:
These are songs I’m exceedingly familiar with and there are multiple elements that are popping out at me. Not sure how to describe it, but there are multiple “sub-layers” of information appearing. Quite stunning, really. To think, it would have been so easy to chase after “better”, more expensive gear rather than just allowing the best to appear from what I have.

I’m looking forward to completing the rest so I can start with basic room treatments.
I’m reevaluating my opinion now on the quality of those early A/D transfers   :roll:
Welcome to my world of Tweakdom (or Tweakdumb).

Changes like you have made, experienced and benefitted from are the crux of AudioNervosa.  It is all of those little incremental changes that bring the magic.

A few years ago I got into a relatively "lively" discussion on another forum about very small changes.  He was arguing that tiny differences weren't worth the effort.  My reply was that if I made a tweak that got 1% closer to "there", it was absolutely worth it.  He said it was stupid to chase 1%.  My answer was, maybe, but do that 10 times and tell me it was wasted effort.

Now, try mass loading your front end components.  I'm not sure what they may be, but try using a soft layer on top of your digital source and then stack about 10lbs of weight on top of that and report back...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:28:32 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2021, 10:39:29 PM »

Changes like you have made, experienced and benefitted from are the crux of AudioNervosa.  It is all of those little incremental changes that bring the magic.

A few years ago I got into a relatively "lively" discussion on another forum about very small changes.  He was arguing that tiny differences weren't worth the effort.  My reply was that if I made a tweak that got 1% closer to "there", it was absolutely worth it.  He said it was stupid to chase 1%.  My answer was, maybe, but for that 10 times and tell me it was wasted effort.

Now, try mass loading your front end components.  I'm not sure what they may be, but try using a soft layer on top of your digital source and then stack about 10lbs of weight on top of that and report back...

I like the pursuit of the 1% x many tweaks. The beauty of this is these items from Herbie’s are reasonably priced and the stinky, baggy enclosed EVAs that toobluvr recommended are so cheap. Jack is kindly sending me some extra non-smelly cork ones that he has. The improvement I heard today from Herbie’s fat dots was quite a bit above 1%  I just stream digital, so I’ll start with my BP DAC and advise. I also use a tiny Auralic Mini streamer with a dedicated power supply from Mojo Audio, who I think is in your NM area

Oh, I should add that adding the weight to the BP will be more interesting in that designer Gary Dews uses a copper chassis as he feels it provides improved sound. He may have some vibration control built in already...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:56:01 PM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2021, 10:59:06 PM »

A few years ago I got into a relatively "lively" discussion on another forum about very small changes.  He was arguing that tiny differences weren't worth the effort.  My reply was that if I made a tweak that got 1% closer to "there", it was absolutely worth it.  He said it was stupid to chase 1%.  My answer was, maybe, but do that 10 times and tell me it was wasted effort.

And more times than not the guy who is arguing with you about how stupid it is to spend $500 on tweaks to chase the last 1% is the same guy who just spent $5k to replace an amp he had for less than six months  and bragged at that price it was a bargain because of how much better it sounds.   :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2021, 09:49:15 PM »

And more times than not the guy who is arguing with you about how stupid it is to spend $500 on tweaks to chase the last 1% is the same guy who just spent $5k to replace an amp he had for less than six months  and bragged at that price it was a bargain because of how much better it sounds.   :roll:
:thumb: :rofl:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2021, 10:00:48 PM »

Dave,

I just use the small Border Patrol DAC..no player. I tried a big book and it’s not heavy enough. What is cheap and heavier that I can try? The DAC is on the middle shelf on the rack and I have a little room to play with, but certainly not a foot.
Ideas pls? Anyone?

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2021, 10:47:37 PM »
Does the DAC have any ventilation holes on the top? If so mass loading can get tricky as you would not want to block the vents and risk overheating.

If not I would just start with a cheap and simple first attempt and try putting a brick on top with some kind of felt or cloth under it to prevent any scratches. If you don’t have a brick laying around you can get one at Lowe’s for under a buck. If it helps you could always try some other “audiophile” loading solutions. But for my first time out of the box I would stick to cheap and simple.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2021, 11:06:48 PM »
Does the DAC have any ventilation holes on the top? If so mass loading can get tricky as you would not want to block the vents and risk overheating.

If not I would just start with a cheap and simple first attempt and try putting a brick on top with some kind of felt or cloth under it to prevent any scratches. If you don’t have a brick laying around you can get one at Lowe’s for under a buck. If it helps you could always try some other “audiophile” loading solutions. But for my first time out of the box I would stick to cheap and simple.

No vent holes to worry about. The Border Patrol does have an opening at the top for the EZ 80 (rectifier tube?) which I engage, but it hardly produces any heat. I thought about a brick, but I’m guessing it’s maybe 3 lbs, but a start nonetheless. Will use a cloth or felt. I was trying to follow Professor Dave’s instructions to use 10 lbs.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2021, 04:59:47 AM »
The whole point to adding mass to the top of any case is to reduce vibrations from the somewhat flimsy case metal. You could also do that by placing some sticky damping materiel inside the case itself, under the cover and under the circuit board on the bottom, if there is room. I just wouldn't do this if there is heat being generated. You may find some room for that away from the tube but definitely use something that won't scorch or melt.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.