Author Topic: An Unusual Speaker Cable, Very Very Low Inductance, Size Matters  (Read 9414 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: An Unusual Speaker Cable With Very Low in Inductance
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 12:25:40 PM »
   Wow never would have thought that. Biwiring would help that situation , no ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 08:07:16 AM »
   Wow never would have thought that. Biwiring would help that situation , no ?

charles

Maybe. So many variables to deal with.
Off the top of my head, one variable would be the bandwidth that the woofer handles. Two way
will be different than three way.

I am concentrating on the woofer, as it needs to not only be damped at resonance, but still
blend in with the other driver(s). Tonal balance changes could occur. Complications.

Whatever the designer configured for is probably the best way to go, but don't quote me on
that as there will be exceptions.

Cheers
steve
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:59:02 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 02:49:41 PM »
I was using nine 18 gauge wires on one leg but by just slightly repositioning the speakers (0,5mm rotation), using the 10th improved the sound. I did have to take ~3/8" off of one turn on a 600 watt crossover inductor. That required burning a new slot on the plastic inductor form, to hold the wire in place.

I exchanged the 10th wire on each leg from regular wire with a 6n pure 18 gauge wire. I mean my system, playing YT Premium, sounds unbelievable, clearly beating anything I had auditioned playing redbook/high rez and shows and homes, until the 6n wires were installed. Now it is un-freakingly unbelievable.

The changes are at extremely low level musical signal levels, spacial Qs, harmonic structure etc etc. It should have not surprised me though, since 6" length of 6n wire made a difference in my hugely upgraded dac.

The obvious limiting factor is the recording. Another question. Do I want to spend a grand on all 6n pure speaker wire?

I will wait a while and time will tell.

steve
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:59:58 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 10:05:18 PM »

And will all 6n wire expose a hidden problem or get that last gram of sonic bliss?

Isn't that the $64,000 question with any upgrade?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Online P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 11:15:27 PM »

And will all 6n wire expose a hidden problem or get that last gram of sonic bliss?

Always has been since I figured out that measurements are a great place to start, but the important aspect is the toe-tapping, “I wanna just keep listening, screw sleep!” one.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 06:05:18 PM »

Always has been since I figured out that measurements are a great place to start, but the important aspect is the toe-tapping, “I wanna just keep listening, screw sleep!” one.

My philosophy as well PI. I get the specs down, then I do the listening testing, and lots of it, including multiple proprietary listening methods when I can. Speakers are more difficult though. It is back and forth with speaker wires, speakers xovers, parts, and positioning. Decades ago, the speakers disappeared. Now it is shedding a tear due to realism.

There have been frustrating times over the decades. But every time something is learned, a  picture starts to develop and when that picture is complete, it is much easier to build anything analog. Once the line preamplifier was perfected, the phono stage and amp were much much easier to design.

Next chapter is a "recording studio"???? Well, maybe a decade or so ago that could have been a goal.  :)

cheers
steve
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:44:56 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage