Systemic Development > Speakers

Speaker Optrions

(1/4) > >>

jimbones:
So I am looking at whats out there and considering size budget and room etc I am looking at revel Performa 206, 208, 228Be. Also Focak Aria 926, and Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand. I am trying to avoid a hyper detailed speaker and prefer 8 ohm as I am using it with a tube amp. For example I was considering Dynaudio but they drop to o2.7 ohms and that does not sound tube friendly. You thoughts on any of these speakers or brands house sound is much appreciated.

Nick B:
Don’t have any experience with these, but am wondering what price range these are in?

malloy:
I have not heard any Revels lately, but the Focal house sound has always been bright, clear, super detailed, and forward - from experience. These might be alright with the correct amp or cables, though. Not my cup of tea. A bit too detailed for me.

The Vienna Acoustics house sound is much more laid back and to my liking. I heard one of the older floorstanding Vienna's at a show many years ago, and they all seem to have the same house sound. Great midrange and more polite, which for some, might mean too polite. I have the Haydn Jubilee - same house sound. Great timbre with no harshness. Sounds like an original Epos ES-11, but with better highs and bottom end.

As to ease of being driven, I think any of these are easier to drive than Dynaudios(?) Maybe.

Paul

jimbones:

--- Quote from: Nick B on December 11, 2021, 02:08:28 PM ---Don’t have any experience with these, but am wondering what price range these are in?

--- End quote ---

Mid 3000 used or 6000 new

P.I.:

--- Quote from: malloy on December 11, 2021, 03:03:23 PM ---I have not heard any Revels lately, but the Focal house sound has always been bright, clear, super detailed, and forward - from experience. These might be alright with the correct amp or cables, though. Not my cup of tea. A bit too detailed for me.

The Vienna Acoustics house sound is much more laid back and to my liking. I heard one of the older floorstanding Vienna's at a show many years ago, and they all seem to have the same house sound. Great midrange and more polite, which for some, might mean too polite. I have the Haydn Jubilee - same house sound. Great timbre with no harshness. Sounds like an original Epos ES-11, but with better highs and bottom end.

As to ease of being driven, I think any of these are easier to drive than Dynaudios(?) Maybe.

Paul

--- End quote ---
The oilcan resonance of the tweeter has always been a problem.  Why they drive the  1" diameter inverted with a 9/16"diameter voice coil is atotal mystery to me.  It causes the breakup mode at around 24K and that modulates the 12K response and that is a crappy place to have IMD.  I know.  I fought it for a couple of years with a pair of speakers Ibuilt back around 1998. I loved them but when I went to an all digital system, they had to go.  Then I found the Scanspeak  D2905-9500 and it changed my life... for a while  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version