Systemic Development > Bipolar System Disorders

Tidal or Qobuz SQ/Bandwidth Question

(1/4) > >>

James Edward:
So, I do love the sound I’m getting via Tidal to Bluesound node to my Esoteric K-07x (using coax) as a DAC. However, my Nervosa reads on and off that Qobuz must sound better because a hi-res file is not MQA encoded(compressed) as it is through Tidal. The way it is configured has been pretty much bulletproof. I have no dropouts, quirks, etc. It just works as reliably as FM radio.

So… Has anyone here used or use both services, and do you find a qualitative difference between the two? The Bluesound Node does ‘unfold’ the MQA file, and the DAC display shows it as 88.2 or 96, depending. As I stated, I think it sounds excellent.

However… There is always room for improvement. So I’m willing to give the two services a side by side comparison.

Therefore… Do you think that Qobuz might be more of a strain on my limited bandwidth, unsophisticated, wifi way of listening? I ask because of the uncompressed file sizes being streamed. There is no way to hardwire my connection due to my house construction. I ask this because I don’t want to spend the trial month of Qobuz doing troubleshooting.

I may be overthinking this, and if it doesn’t work out, I’d just cancel. But forewarned is forearmed, and all that BS…

Any thoughts/insights/input appreciated.

Jim

P.I.:

--- Quote from: James Edward on September 28, 2021, 02:18:50 PM ---So, I do love the sound I’m getting via Tidal to Bluesound node to my Esoteric K-07x (using coax) as a DAC. However, my Nervosa reads on and off that Qobuz must sound better because a hi-res file is not MQA encoded(compressed) as it is through Tidal. The way it is configured has been pretty much bulletproof. I have no dropouts, quirks, etc. It just works as reliably as FM radio.

So… Has anyone here used or use both services, and do you find a qualitative difference between the two? The Bluesound Node does ‘unfold’ the MQA file, and the DAC display shows it as 88.2 or 96, depending. As I stated, I think it sounds excellent.

However… There is always room for improvement. So I’m willing to give the two services a side by side comparison.

Therefore… Do you think that Qobuz might be more of a strain on my limited bandwidth, unsophisticated, wifi way of listening? I ask because of the uncompressed file sizes being streamed. There is no way to hardwire my connection due to my house construction. I ask this because I don’t want to spend the trial month of Qobuz doing troubleshooting.

I may be overthinking this, and if it doesn’t work out, I’d just cancel. But forewarned is forearmed, and all that BS…

Any thoughts/insights/input appreciated.

Jim

--- End quote ---
Great topic.

I tried them both and chose to go with Tidal because the SQ is excellent (remember: I am 73, so YMMV) and I much prefer the interface when using a Mac as a digital front end.  Also, I use NOS 16-bit DACs because I prefer them to higher rez formats because I have ~ 3TB of music in Redbook and the whole world supports Redbook and not DSD 64-bit 16 jillion kHz data.  :lol:

Jack:
I have had both since 2016 and the sound quality is better with Qobuz to my ears on four different systems. The Hi Res files on Qobuz are FLAC files and not DSD files.  If you are using Coax out of the Node to the Esoteric you are only getting the first unfold from MQA so not sure what the benefit of the MQA would be plus if it matters to you Qobuz is cheaper.  I only keep the Tidal subscription as my daughter uses it and I occasionally find something on an obscure independent label that is not on Qobuz but if she wasn't using it I would cancel.

James Edward:

--- Quote from: Jack on September 28, 2021, 06:21:37 PM ---I have had both since 2016 and the sound quality is better with Qobuz to my ears on four different systems. The Hi Res files on Qobuz are FLAC files and not DSD files.  If you are using Coax out of the Node to the Esoteric you are only getting the first unfold from MQA so not sure what the benefit of the MQA would be plus if it matters to you Qobuz is cheaper.  I only keep the Tidal subscription as my daughter uses it and I occasionally find something on an obscure independent label that is not on Qobuz but if she wasn't using it I would cancel.

--- End quote ---
I’m more than a bit ignorant on various file nomenclatures- I will take your word that Qobuz sounds better; but what do you think about the full file coming across? Is there a significant bandwidth difference between using MQA, where the ‘heavy lifting’ so to speak, is done in the streamer or dac, and Qobuz, where the full file is sent.
I may be over thinking this- but do you think my very basic internet service can handle a full file from Qobuz as well as it does the compressed MQA file, where the heavy lifting is done by the streamer and dac. I’ve had zero dropouts, etc., using Tidal.

Jack:
I don't see why there would necessarily be an issue but it is easy enough to get the 30 day free trial and see for yourself.  Then you can try the two head to head Hi-Res vs single unfold MQA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version