Systemic Development > Bipolar System Disorders

What do you like to hear?

(1/3) > >>

Carlman:
When you play music, what is it that you want your system to produce?

It's taken me a while and some help to describe what I want from a system.  And the best way to describe it is a 'second-generation original'.... Which means, I've realized there is no way to get an accurate reproduction of any studio recording and getting a live experience isn't going to be perfect either... So, I've decided I like a system that presents me with a musical performance that is pleasing, detailed, and satiating to my core love of music, and as if it was produced by my system for the first time... on its own.  (which, it really is)

It really made me re-think about what I want from a system.  I've seen other folks do it.. and they don't really post about their systems much anymore.. .and haven't made any changes either. (Hantra is one such animal)  I have another friend that did the same thing.  It's not just being satisfied, it's about knowing what about the whole system will satisfy you.

So, what does it for you?  What do you want from your hifi?

-C

miklorsmith:
Wow, great question.  I'll roll this one around the ole bean for a bit, as it deserves a pretty long answer.  Dynamic fidelity is huge for me.  A close-mic'd saxophone is an amazing thing and I really appreciate how well it can jump into the room.

I've heard lots of setups that will do big drumkits, but to get a sax right in this regard is really tough.

richidoo:
I want to feel the emotional intensity and excitement of the performers. Listening to a Tchaikovsky or Beethoven Symphony I want to feel like I was there watching the performance, but not in the perfect acoustic reproduction sense, I want to feel the excitement in the room. Making music is very exciting especially when it comes alive and spirit takes over the performance from the musicians and they all cooperate under the "Great Conductor." Since I don't play much anymore, I miss that feeling and can find it on such performances with my system. I think the attributes that make that possible from a recording which contains the feeling is unrestricted dynamics, beautiful yet detailed tone, air and detail, hearing and feeling the acoustic signature of the recording venue at all freqs. Add to that the special quality of high power low distortion tube electronics and large drivers. I don't mind electronics adding flava to make the music feel even better, like tube magic or hyped dynamics, but SET roundness ruins it for me by obfuscating the truth and hiding the message of the Conductor. I can even get the feeling from old crappy recordings of Bird or Tatum, when there is no detail or air to be had, so there is more going on than I understand. I guess it's the performer's (or Great Conductor's) presence that permeates the music more in some performances than others. I've had the feeling from great music long before I ever had hifi, so it must be more than technical, but the feeling is more intense when you can hear more of the music with a good system.
Thanks Carl!
Rich

WEEZ:
Wow, Carl :) , this could get good. Seriously, though.....hmmm..

I'd say, tonality, probably. Good octave to octave balance. Dynamics. All of what result in a convincing illusion of real instuments playing in real space..i.e., 'natural' sound. If I can close my eyes, and the sound is 'believable'...it's good sound. Lots of combinations of components can get you there. Some do it better than others, but once one discovers the so called 'high-end', I believe one is pretty much 'there'. Many times what we argue and banter over is minor, in the grand scheme of things.

Most of the time, if a component, or system of components, get's it 'right'..I can sense it almost immediately. It can be startling almost.

IMO, if a system does voice and piano well, it will likely do everything well. Voice and piano have more complex harmonics and dynamics than almost any other instrument(s); so if these sound 'right', most likely the component (or components) are worthy.

Who was it that said.."you know it when you hear it". :D

WEEZ

stereofool:
A very thoughtful question...Carl!

What I'm looking for...in my system...is just to be able to sit back, close my eyes, and get lost in the music.

However, some recordings are just so horrendously canned and one-dimensional (eg many of the current 'radio' poplular artists)...that even though I enjoy their music on a car radio...I just can't bear to endure how crappy it sounds on a decent system.

Now on a recording that is well miked and/or mixed...then that's where I suspend trying to pick apart how accurate the system reproduces the music, and just listen into the performance, and its nuances. Of course...often getting so relaxed that I wind up listening with my eyes rolled back in my head...zzzzzzzzz!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version