Systemic Development > Bipolar System Disorders

TacT is OUT, Lamm is IN

(1/4) > >>

miklorsmith:
Against the angel on my left shoulder, the devil on my right has won.  The TacT is up for sale and I've bought a used Lamm LL2 Deluxe.  This will facilitate my ongoing investigations into Inguz-based room correction and will get a tube preamp back into my system which I think I have missed.

Think?  I've had the TacT and solid state pre outputs for so long that I don't remember for sure.  As I've been migrating my system I've kept the Signature amps playing for the most transparent window into the gear changes.  The Yamamoto has been sitting in a box, patiently waiting its turn.

I've been feeling that the sound overall is chilly.  Everything is there, detail's great, bass is solid, nothing annoying.  But, uninvolved.  Ever since getting the Druids about 3 years ago I've thought the Zu 10" widebander inherently warm.  I've found only recently that isn't true.  Feed the Definitions a fully solid state signal and they take on that personality.  I've marveled that my system has become all SS and even thought "who needs tubes".  But then I keep wondering what's missing.

Last weekend I threw the Yammie back in the mix just for kicks.  WOW - All the colors came back and the love was right there.  I had been planning on a tubed pre for a while and had my eye on the Lamm but was playing it cool (with the ladies).  All that went out the window and I pulled the trigger.

I should have the new pre next week and hopefully the TacT will sell soon so my promise to my wife that this swap won't cost us anything will actually come true!

lonewolfny42:
Brooklyn in da house.... :lol:  (Lamm is made in Brooklyn, NY)

Good luck Mike.....a few reviews....here.......and ....here...... :wink:

WEEZ:
Nice choice!

WEEZ

miklorsmith:
Thanks!  I read those reviews and a few more.  Besides the usual "love it" accolades, two comments really caught my attention:

One reviewer pointed to an ever-so-slight emphasis in the midbass.  I've got the low bass covered with the separate array but if there's any complaint I have with the Definitions it's that they can get a little hot in the presence band and consequently seem a little light in the midbass.  The TacT could handle this issue beautifully.  If I dial everything in without EQ on the mains, sweet!  I'll still be pursuing Inguz no matter what.

The other piece was in the Stereophile review, specifically the "Measurements" section.  Frankly, I've never derived anything useful from these but I usually read them anyhow.  In describing distortion behavior of the LL2 he says it elevates as the input impedance drops.  The measured distortion characteristic is almost entirely 2nd order which us a-holes (I mean a-heads) associate with yummy tube sound.

At 20 kOhms, JA says the distortion is getting audible, but still within acceptible limits (and we all know  what JA considers acceptible)  At 100 kOhms the distortion is extremely low.  My very clean-sounding Signature 70 amps have 20 kOhm impedance and will benefit from a higher tube sound and my Yamamoto has a 200 kOhm impedance and should receive very little "extra" from the pre.

To me this is the Perfect Situation on paper.  If the prediction bears out the theory, I'll be one happy camper.

Woodsyi:
Bad timing, Mike.  It's getting warmer outside.  You do tubes in the winter and SS during summer.  :wink:  At least that's how I justify my use to my energy conscious wife -- as a heater.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version