Author Topic: Pandora question  (Read 35619 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Pandora question
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 05:35:30 AM »
If anyone cares, the streaming services like Spotify and Pandora pay fractions of a penny to the artists for royalties. Less than even radio stations. I know quite a few artists are not happy about these services, but I suppose they need to use them to get their music out. However, some people capture the audio and save it for their personal use.

I know, it's the same as borrowing a CD from a buddy or the library and ripping it, but in case this sort of thing interests/bothers you ...
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 05:40:26 AM »
During my 24 hour demo, I have been routinely switching the audio quality back to normal, then high quality and I'm having a really hard time telling the difference between the 2.

That is what my gut was telling me would happen, but in this hobby you never know until you evaluate it with a set of ears. Let me know if you hear anything  in the rest of the demo time that changes your mind.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 06:14:25 AM »
my processor will be showing 44.1K regardless.

CD redbook is 44.1k samples, or words per second at 16 bit depth, that's 1411kbps data rate like Mike said. Pandora has 128kbps data rate. The actual sample rate and bit depth of the music content vary due to compression.

A friend of mine said he was going to try Pandora 192, but I can't remember if he ever did or not. I will ask him.  I think the price was raised significantly last year?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 06:30:32 AM »
Pandora has no time limit per month when streaming to media players like SB and Sonos. I think cell phones and PCs do have a limit of 30 or 40 hours. You can pay $12/yr for unlimited play, but there are still ads. For years there were no ads on Sonos Pandora stream. The only limit was 6 skips per hour, which is easily bypassed by changing station. But just a few months ago I started hearing ads. They are only 5-10 seconds long, only one ad at a time, maybe one every few hours. They never match the mood of the station so they are annoying if you are thin skinned, but I don't care. If I am on my laptop with Sonos app running then I just mute it.  The only ad that bugs me is when the progressive gekko pretends he is in my living room and starts commenting on the curtains look like his mom's. So that means they know I'm using a hardware streamer.

I couldn't find any comments on the web that claimed a significant improvement in sound quality jumping up to 192kbps.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 07:18:48 AM »
If anyone cares, the streaming services like Spotify and Pandora pay fractions of a penny to the artists for royalties. Less than even radio stations. I know quite a few artists are not happy about these services, but I suppose they need to use them to get their music out. However, some people capture the audio and save it for their personal use.

I know, it's the same as borrowing a CD from a buddy or the library and ripping it, but in case this sort of thing interests/bothers you ...

First off, Pandora and the similar services aren't ripping of the artists, they are paying the required royalties. If the artists aren't happy with the amount they are paying maybe they should complain to the people who negotiated the terms of those agreements.
Next, I am getting really tired of hearing the whining and BS statistics about piracy from the record and movie industries.They love to throw around numbers about how much money they are losing to illegal copying when the reality is that there losses aren't but a small fraction of what they like to quote. They come up with number that estimates the number of copied units, multiply it by the full list price per unit  and then cry that this is how much money they lost to pirates during that time period. Well that number is just bogus on a number of fronts. First off, as competitive as media sales are right now, what percent of those sales are made at full MSRP? Yet when projecting their losses they assume that every single thing they sell goes out the door at full price. Next, and most importantly they make the ridiculous assumption that every song or album that gets copied represents a lost sale. This just could not be further from the truth. If a 13 year old kid downloads 100 albums in a month the record industry would like us to believe that they "lost" almost $1700 in that process (100 albums X $16,98 list). But the reality of the matter is that if the kid did not have access to these downloads and had to pull cash out of his pocket for every album he obtained, he would be buying 2 or three albums a month. So even though he downloaded 100 album the real revenue loss the the record companies is a lot closer to $50 that it is to $1700. There is a big difference between what people will take for free vs. what they are willing to pay for.
Likewise with library copies not everybody who borrows a library CD or DVD would have paid for their own copy if one was not available from the library. How many time do I make a comment in the What are you listening to now? thread to the effect of "that sounds interesting, I'll have to see if ALIS can find me a copy." I certainly wouldn't be listening to more than a small fraction of those thing if each audition involved a significant cash outlay, especially tin the case of experimental listening to artists or music types that I haven't heard before. but on top of that library collections account to chunders of thousands of CD sales every month so they significant source of revenue for the record companies as well. All the people who are predicting that primary will kill the music business need to do is look at the Grateful Dead. For the past 4 decades the Dead have not only tolerated privacy, they encouraged it, setting up special sections at their concerts for tapers. And how many gold records and millions of dollars have they made over that time in spite of the pirates?
Anyway, the people most often whining are not the "starving artists" who cannot make a living because of this piracy, but rather the corporate executives who are trying to justify why they should keep getting their multimillion dollar bonuses. Quite to the contrary, the internet distribution model has been a real boost to emerging artists who can now easily self publish their work without being held hostage to the big corporate entities now running the music business.
That this is all about is not so much sales lost to copying, but rather a large industry that is digging its heels in trying to hold onto the old ways in the face of a technology driven paradigm shift. rather than complaining about how the old system is not working anymore they should be putting that effort in trying to find ways to generate cash flow with the new system. The business literature is full of examples of once industry giants that have fallen because of an unwillingness to change with the times (Rail freight vs over the road trucking, pagers vs cell phone etc) And if they don't change and adapt they will die. Look at Kodak. Who would have thought 20 years ago that a company like Kodak that was so completely dominant in its field would ever end up in bankruptcy court? Either run with the change or get run over by it.

Rant off.

Sorry if this got a little off the original topic. But then I'm not sure if it is officially a thread-jack if it was your thread in the first place.  ;)  :-k

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 07:37:09 AM »
Didn't mean to thread jack - sorry. I was just reading this complaint from an interview with a musician about the "criminal" lack of royalties being paid by these streaming services and thought it might be relevant.

I know personally it wouldn't change how I went about listening or collecting music. As I see it, if it is available to me in a public way then I will take advantage of it. As you say, it is up to the artists, record companies and producers to negotiate their own contracts and deals. Piracy is a part of every business and cost cutting is prevalent in every industry. Find a new means of morphing your industry or pass it along to someone who does.

End of my rant too.

I like Pandora for listening at work (when the company allows such services through their firewall). I have found lots of good artists that I would not have known about. Now I don't listen to radio at home, so I dont really care about the quality of their service. It sounds fine on headphones through the computer. I would expect a Pandora radio station to be available in cars soon too to compete with Sirius and such. That would be real nice.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 08:02:23 AM »
Bob, nothing to be sorry about. We were talking about Pandora that is what your comment was about. I didn't think that your post of off topic at all. I was the one who pulled it off into a trirade about the corporate weenies in the music business in general. I was just kind of laughing that I was the one who pulled my own tread off topic a bit.

But back to Pandora, you'll have to give a listen to how it sounds Bobby's system (hopefully I'll see you on the 24th). I was surprised at just how good it could be given the right hardware to play it back. No it's not focused sweet spot listening good, but for most anything else it does a pretty nice job.

As for Pandora in the car there is a car stereo shop on Hempstead Tpke just west of Wantagh Pkwy that put a sign in the window about selling units that receive Pandora in the car, so I guess the future is now. Although if your car radio has a 1/8th" mini jack Aux input for an ipod there is no reason you couldn't use that to hook up a smartphone and stream Pandora in that way.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 08:56:35 AM »
Don't blame Pandora, they are out to make money. The publishers give the music away because they want the Pandora cashflow, as small as it is. They don't care about their artists.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 09:23:43 AM »
I doubt very much if DirecTv would be affiliating themselves with a streaming pirate if indeed Pandora was one. And I also doubt Pandora would have been around and growing as long as they have been with the aggressive nature of the Recording Industry ready to pounce if indeed they weren't legal.

I really haven't paid much attention to Pandora even though I've had an account for many years now. Their audio quality doesn't come close to my own hard drive library. Even though $36/year is a fair price for their product, I don't see myself using them near enough to pay the price. I have sent an email to Pandora asking if Pandora One will be available thru my DirecTv as I don't believe it is from this demo.

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

djdube525

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
I would expect a Pandora radio station to be available in cars soon too to compete with Sirius and such. That would be real nice.

Sooner than you think... From Ford

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA_xprIebzY

Offline tmazz

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 10:55:33 AM »
Don't blame Pandora, they are out to make money. The publishers give the music away because they want the Pandora cashflow, as small as it is. They don't care about their artists.

The artists complain that they don't get as much royalties from Pandora (and other streaming services) but in reality what does it hurt? The alternative is getting nothing from Pandora. I may be wrong, but I don't think they have been getting any less royalties from their other sources since Pandora started, so anything they get from the streamers is just gravy, no matter what it is compared to other royalties.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline satfrat

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 02:06:26 PM »
I doubt very much if DirecTv would be affiliating themselves with a streaming pirate if indeed Pandora was one. And I also doubt Pandora would have been around and growing as long as they have been with the aggressive nature of the Recording Industry ready to pounce if indeed they weren't legal.

I really haven't paid much attention to Pandora even though I've had an account for many years now. Their audio quality doesn't come close to my own hard drive library. Even though $36/year is a fair price for their product, I don't see myself using them near enough to pay the price. I have sent an email to Pandora asking if Pandora One will be available thru my DirecTv as I don't believe it is from this demo.

Cheers,
Robin

My reply from Pandora about their higher audio quality Pandora One becoming available on DirecTv's Pandora app:

Thanks for writing. The major difference for Pandora One on devices is that we don't offer the highest quality audio option, which currently only appears for Pandora One on the Web. However, there are no ads and more skips.

For more info on Pandora One, please check here: http://www.pandora.com/pandora_one

Hope this helps. Thanks for listening!  

I'm still on the fence all though I really like the Pandora One desktop apps which is very much like my J. River Media Center mini view, only better. I just might have to have this on my desktop.  8)

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline satfrat

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 07:37:25 PM »
Well Tom, I spent all day going back and forth between 128k and 192k. Any improvement is subtle, at least on my system. Maybe the difference would be more discernible using headphones (which I don't use) but I don't feel the audio upgrade alone is worth the $36. But the Desktop Apps is for me! I really like it and for that reason, I purchased Pandora One. I've got 18 stations already.  :rofl:

Cheers,
Robin

Offline tmazz

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
You know Robin, there is more to this hobby than SQ alone. A good user interface, whether a physical one on a piece of equipment or an electronic one in a software package often make our time in the hobby easier and more enjoyable. Sounds to me like it was $36 well spent.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline satfrat

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 07:55:43 PM »
Yeah,,, maybe so but if I had the $$$, I'd be all over Spotify and their 320k quality. As it is, I plan on taking a ride on their 48 hour demo tour that can be extended to 30 days if you download their desktop apps (which of course I will).  :rofl:

There's no way I'll pay $9.99/month (plus tax) but I'll sure as hell check them out. Who knows, with new players in the market share, maybe Pandora will step up their game to stay in the game. But by picking up Pandora One now, it pretty much turns out the lights for my DirecTv Pandora,,,,, unless my PC sh*ts the bed. Always nice to have alternatives to fall back on,,,,, hahahaha

Cheers,
Robin