Author Topic: squeezebox SUCKS BIG TIME  (Read 17472 times)

rosconey

squeezebox SUCKS BIG TIME
« on: December 04, 2008, 09:31:40 AM »
man what a pos-

it wont access my computer because it wont recognize my account-yet i can log in at one squeezbox window-so i guess i paid 220 bucks for a internet radio player-

im about to take this pos out side and run over it with my car

miklorsmith

Re: squeezebox SUCKS BIG TIME
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:47:29 AM »
There are some smart streaming music guys here.  I have a couple of SBs.  I've been in that position more than once but got it resolved and things have been stable for a while.

What's going on? 

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: I love my Squeezebox :)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 01:03:35 PM »
It's a pos just because you can't get it to work? ;) Hey, I know that feeling very well!  :x

There are no "accounts" that SB needs to recognize, and you don't need to log into any windows to use the SB. Maybe you are trying to connect to internet radio, or music streaming service. Better to get the slimserver connection working first. When that is working, it is just on... there is not other interaction needed, except pick songs on the remote.

Most problems are related to networking. Please answer these:
   Is SB connected wireless or hardwired?
   Are you using DHCP (automatic IP address assignment) on the router?
   Are you able to connect to the internet with your computer through the router?

This may help get you up to speed:
http://www.slimdevices.com/documentation/Squeezebox-v3-Owners-Guide.pdf

Ideally this is what you need to do to get it to go:
Connect router WAN port to Cable modem by ethernet (no USB connection)
Configure Router to be a DHCP server (read router manual, it is pretty easy)
Configure router to connect automatically to TWC (become gateway for your LAN)
Connect PC to any router LAN port
Connect SB3 to any router LAN port with wire. Save wireless for your next trick.
Configure your PC to use DHCP for its network settings - reboot. Access this in Network Conections from Control Panel. You may have to create a new connection, you are configuring the Local Area Network connection from your network card. Adjust the properties for TCP/IP protocol to use DHCP (Obtain and IP Address automatically).
Install SqueezeCenter running as a service on Windows XP. Point it to your music files then let it finish scanning your music before you try to connect the SB3. SqueezeCenter must be running first in order to setup the SB. You will need at least 500MB RAM to run SC7 on XP-SP3.
Factory reset the SB then go through the setup routine on the SB3. Select DHCP for ip address.
If SB fails any of the setup steps, use the left arrow to try it again and again. If a step fails let us know.

You can setup wireless later. SB has two brightness settings, one for navigating, and the other for long term when it is just playing music. Set the background brightness to darkest or OFF. Set the active brightness wherever you want. This will minimize the nasty buzz that the bright flourescent screen makes in the right channel.
Good luck.  You can call me if you need more help. PM for my phone number.
Rich

miklorsmith

Re: squeezebox Kudos
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 02:49:11 PM »
Nice Rich, concise.

rosconey

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 07:28:36 PM »
im on second shift and was trying to get it up and running before work-

i didnt know it would work without the log on -i started to press shit and it loaded up my music-

so after almost 3 hrs i got it going-not user friendly by any means -

its dac aint too bad,havent hooked it up to my dac yet-

thanx for the help and support guys

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »
A decent external DAC will be a nice step up.  The next thing you'll want to do is $hit-can the wall wart it comes with and get a decent power supply.  Even a little printer power supply will be a huge step up as long as it's linear and not a switcher.

I know a couple guys that use Lexmark printer supplies to very good use for < $20. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 05:45:05 AM »
From digikey: http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/727137-lnr-sup-5v-3a-ovprotection-hb5-3-ovp-a.html
I use this one, it is awesome. Ripple is < .05%, that's 2.5mV max, with 3A continuous. Even quieter at 1A where the SB lives. You need the current headroom for music.  $35 for the raw PS, plus parts to connect it to wall and SB  - maybe $60 altogether.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 06:42:58 AM »
Has anyone found a suitable replacement PS for the Duet Receiver?   When I bought the Duet, I wasn't paying much attention to the fact that the PS is different.

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 07:13:55 AM »
thats what ive got-duet-

it says wolfson dacs-i wonder if they are the same ones in the cambridge cdp's

still has a few quirks-like some cd's are shown in 3 places,each has a part of the cd,none the whole thing

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 07:56:37 AM »
still has a few quirks-like some cd's are shown in 3 places,each has a part of the cd,none the whole thing

That's a function of how the songs on the CD are tagged.   For albums where each song has a different artist, the CD will be listed under each artist separately although only the songs by that artist will show.    There may be a way within SqueezeCenter to configure this.   

mgalusha

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 11:02:03 AM »
Has anyone found a suitable replacement PS for the Duet Receiver?   When I bought the Duet, I wasn't paying much attention to the fact that the PS is different.

A friend of mine has one of the Acopian linear power supplies for his Duet and is very happy with it. They run $125, not cheap but nicely made, 5yr warranty and they've been building power supplies since the 1950's and they are made in the USA.

http://www.acopian.com/store/productdetail.aspx?q=dNominal+Output+Voltage:+9;+Adjust%2B%2F-:+1;+++Max+Output+Current+Amps+(40+C):+1;++Regulation+Load+%2B%2F-:+0.1;+Line+%2B%2F-:0.1;++Ripple+mV+RMS:+1;+Case+Size:+G3,i317

If you use one of these I suggest the optional $5 terminal strip cover to keep prying fingers away as there is line voltage present. We stuck some rubber feet on his to ensure ventilation.

There are plenty of other options available as well but these folks build a nice piece IMO.

rosconey

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 07:58:03 AM »
just when you think its working it decides to have some fun with you ](*,)

this is one buggy bastard :duh

like deciding to pause on its own-  :wtf:

it doesnt sound too bad when it works :rofl:

Dougie085

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 08:19:51 AM »
Pause on it's own? Sounds like slow network problems.

Bigfish8

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 09:48:35 AM »
just when you think its working it decides to have some fun with you ](*,)

this is one buggy bastard :duh

like deciding to pause on its own-  :wtf:

it doesnt sound too bad when it works :rofl:

I have found that my computer will update antivirus definitions and when this happens my transporter will die.  I have to reboot the computer and make certain the firewall is disabled to get the Transporter back up and working.

Networking issues can be a real pain and you may have something in the home that is disrupting the signal.

Good Luck,

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 10:34:29 AM »
First production batch of Duets are incorrigible. I hope the new units are better, but the first units had a problem with the remote. Beta remotes worked fine, first production units didn't.